Cave tubing but can't swim

cynt

My uncle can't swim. 54 yrs old He's not afraid of the water. For those non swimmers who are afraid of the water you know what I mean. What are your thoughts on nonswimmers cave tubing? I've never done it so I don't have a point of reference. He's willing to try it since he'll have a life jacket on while tubing. We just don't know if there's a strong current, swimming is required during part of the tubing, etc? Any info and insight you can provide would be great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Not only is there a life jacket, but you are usually connected to the tube in front or behind via feet or ropes. no swimming required unless you free float and get stuck or want to jump off the small cliff and trees near the end.

He should let the guides know and they'll watch out for him.

But before the cruise he would be well served to go to the local Y or swim club and get some instruction on floating or "drown-proofing" while in the water. Just a good safety precaution.

The term "cave tubing" sounds way more adventurous than it actually is. It's basically a giant lazy river that is extremely shallow in most parts. I am not a great swimmer and am usually uncomfortable being in the water, but cave tubing was absolutely awesome!