Huahine Advice Needed

Notion_of_the_Ocean

I am writing to get your opinion on what to do in Huahine. We are considering Cultural Highlights/Sacred Sights, Motu Picnic, or Marc's Combo Tour. What are your experiences and which would you recommend? Are the stone structures worth seeing? If anyone has done the combo what is your feedback with that?

Thanks in advance!

We've done Marc's lagoon tour three times. Over these three trips he has changed slightly. The last one did not leave by boat from the tender pier but he drove us to the starting point in a vehicle. We then spent a considerable amount of time touring the lagoon until we went to the overwater pearl shop. From there some snorkeling, lunch, more snorkeling and a shark encounter.

The group that did the combo tour met up with us at the pearl shop and from there we were together. The the first part of the lagoon tour is not spectacular so next time we are doing the combo tour.

The shark encounter was done previously but he may have stopped that now,

The sacred sites tour is interesting if you're into the cultural experience/history experience. The view coming down for the Belvedere on the west side is beautiful great for picture taking especially you taking pictures of the Ship. The east side of The island is gorgeous and very few people go see it. The vistas of the lagoon, stunning. This island is made for just laid-back activity. Snorkeling is so-so but again the scenery is spectacular. There seems to be many who are no longer doing shark tours. Not saying if that's good or bad it just is.

We did the Sacred Sites and Legendary Places. It was led by an anthropologist, an American who lives there. It was very good. The guy was very chatty about life in Polynesia, sometimes too chatty. But still good.

Went to the usual places, saw the blue eyed eels, the marae, the museum. Did an uphill hike to more marae which was fairly strenuous in the heat--I couldn't make it up there, since I was recovering from surgery.

The vanilla "plantation" is a small shop selling fresh beans, etc.

We'll be back next October and I am wondering what we'll do. Since we arrive there straight from Papeete, I'm thinking water this time.

I presume Marc's tours are private?

Ship's tours I see:

Day at the Beach (at a hotel)

Motu Picnic

Lagoon Cruise & Snorkeling (deep water)

Island Tour & Snorkeling(but the last one is per boat, up to 6 people.)

I'm thinking Motu Picnic. Here is the description. Is it similar to one of Marc's:

our boat will pick you up from the pier for a brief ride to a snorkeling spot in the beautiful lagoon of Huahine. Here you will have ample time to enjoy snorkeling in crystal clear waters with tropical fish. Next your boat ride will continue to the private Motu Murimahora. Delicious lunch (including water, tropical juices and beer) will be accompanied by a localmusic entertainment on the motu. Afterwards there will be free time to enjoy this peaceful and picturesque motu.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to select a land based tour in Huahine. Our boat departs at 1pm so private tours are out. The PG offerings are Huahine by 4x4, Cultural Highlights of Huahine, and Huahibr Safari Expedition. I'm having trouble knowing which one to pick. Any advice out there? What is a don't miss on the island?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Personally I would go with Huahine Iti by 4X4. Off the beaten trek where most tourist don't go compared to the Nui side.

#2 would be Cultural Highlights of Huahine

But again this is my take. I like the road less traveled ...

I must say that sounds enticing! If I wasn't assuming that I'd be hankering for the water on our first port call of the cruise, I'd choose that one for sure.