Cell Phone / iPad Coverage on Avalon

SixOneTwo

Please help me help my boss. He's traveling with Avalon through Czech Republic, Germany and France. We're signing him up with his carrier for limited international coverage. Can we count on any decent wi-fi onboard the ship, or will he be able to get enough of a signal on land (while cruising)?

I'm very experienced with ocean cruising, but not at all with river cruising. Assume there is some signal available from land while sailing. What should he expect?

Thanks!

We have sailed Rhine & Danube with Avalon 2013 & 2014, ipad hooked up well in most areas, some days had to wait until we were close to larger cities but managed to stay in contact with business at home every day. Cellphone with Vodafone on international roaming was good 95% of the time

Just got back from Avalon Rhine cruise. I was on wifi all the time except when we were going through locks. My phone is not compatible with European networks so I cannot answer about phones. There was one guy who was in the lounge and working several hours each day and he did not seem to have any problems. Several others told me that they had to check emails, etc each day also.

We were with Avalon on the Rhine and Danube in 2012 and had no problems with wifi on my ipad, except in the locks, occasionally it was slow, but we uploaded pics , skyped and checked mail daily from our room.

Again in July this year with Avalon, we were in France, had no problems at all, coverage all the time, I did hear a couple people say they could only get the wifi in the lounge and on the ships computers, not sure where their cabins were.

I cant comment on phones, as we didn't bother at all while we were away, my ipad was more convenient and free :)

Wifi is free and you will receive a password from reception when you first check in.

Deb

We did Avalon from Budapest to Amsterdam this past July. Wifi was excellent. We even used FaceTime (audio - didn't try video) back to the States for free calling. Used iPad on board often for port research. No issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just got back from Avalon's Rhine and Moselle Cruise and had no problems using my ipad and iphone. In your stateroom there is an instruction sheet on how to login. I was very pleased with the connectivity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD