Donations to San Juan??

mikechass

Hi there everyone.

I wanted to take some things to SJ when we sail out of there in January.

We are very blessed and have the ability to not want or need for anything that is really important in our day to day lives, and even more blessed to be taking a two week cruise as well.

We have our health, a home, we all love each other and we laugh every day.

I wanted to bring some things to donate to the children of San Juan.

I wondered if anyone has any ideas where I would go to find out somewhere that I can send the stuff once we are there.

I don't mind even leaving it for the families of the staff at our hotel.

I just wanted to take a few things that could be helpful or enjoyed by some of the children in San Juan.

I know cash is king, but I wanted to give my kids an idea about how lots of the things they take for granted here (school supplies, clothes, basic toys) are all things that children in other countries wish for.

It would be nice to be able to bring a couple back packs with us to hand out to those who could use it.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

I appreciate it.

Both my kids teachers would be willing to help collect stuff too from the other kids in class.

As well both my kids play hockey and I am certain my hockey teams would want to participate as well.

So let the ideas roll!!!!

Thanks everyone.

Chass

There's a Salvation Army in OSJ (near the Capitol) that might be able to take your donated items. Which ship are you sailing on? It's an easy walk from the main pier. If you are sailing from a ship that leaves from the Pan Am pier, it'll be a quick cab ride. Hope this helps!

Hi there everyone.

I wanted to take some things to SJ when we sail out of there in January.

We are very blessed and have the ability to not want or need for anything that is really important in our day to day lives, and even more blessed to be taking a two week cruise as well.

We have our health, a home, we all love each other and we laugh every day.

I wanted to bring some things to donate to the children of San Juan.

I wondered if anyone has any ideas where I would go to find out somewhere that I can send the stuff once we are there.

I don't mind even leaving it for the families of the staff at our hotel.

I just wanted to take a few things that could be helpful or enjoyed by some of the children in San Juan.

I know cash is king, but I wanted to give my kids an idea about how lots of the things they take for granted here (school supplies, clothes, basic toys) are all things that children in other countries wish for.

It would be nice to be able to bring a couple back packs with us to hand out to those who could use it.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

I appreciate it.

Both my kids teachers would be willing to help collect stuff too from the other kids in class.

As well both my kids play hockey and I am certain my hockey teams would want to participate as well.

So let the ideas roll!!!!

Thanks everyone.

Chass

Are you serious?

Puerto Rico is part of the United States of America. People are well fed, well clothed and have a pretty good life. This is not a third world country in need of all your charitable thoughts and efforts.

I don't know what other ports you are cruising to but there is certainly one that is in much more need of your help than San Juan, Puerto Rico.

To this day we continue to support the people of Livingston, Guatemala after we visited on a cruise.

I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions.

Maybe you want to list your ports?

Are you serious?

Puerto Rico is part of the United States of America. People are well fed, well clothed and have a pretty good life. This is not a third world country in need of all your charitable thoughts and efforts.

I don't know what other ports you are cruising to but there is certainly one that is in much more need of your help than San Juan, Puerto Rico.

To this day we continue to support the people of Livingston, Guatemala after we visited on a cruise.

I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions.

Maybe you want to list your ports?

I agree, it is not a third world country/island, I could understand if it was Hati, Dominica but why Puerto Rico? Good luck and maybe do an Internet search for your donations.

Are you serious?

There are plenty of people in the USA who are in need of "charitable thoughts and efforts". We have children in every state who go to bed hungry. Why would PR differ ?

There are plenty of people in the USA who are in need of "charitable thoughts and efforts". We have children in every state who go to bed hungry. Why would PR differ ?

Definitely agree with the post above. I live in Puerto Rico and travel around the metro area regularly. I'm sure many less fortunate people can benefit from the generosity of others.

Definitely agree with the post above. I live in Puerto Rico and travel around the metro area regularly. I'm sure many less fortunate people can benefit from the generosity of others.

Since you live there and confirm the need, I suppose I was overly harsh on the OP. I have visited areas of extreme poverty and I just never have seen San Juan in that light. Not only have I cruised to Puerto Rico but have done numerous land vacations with car rentals and lots of driving around.

I'm sure that the OP could also find many local charities in Winnipeg with people in need.

I teach in a school in Canada and often end up buying lunches for kids at the end of the month as they have nothing to bring so I know people are in need everywhere.

Countries such as Dominican Republic, Haiti, Honduras and Guatemala have schools that are desperate for supplies.

I agree that of all the ports where we have called on cruises through the years, San Juan does not stand out as having the most needy children. Dominica, Guatamala, Dominican Republic and any number of others stand out in my mind as a place that has more severe need.

JMO.....

If I may make a suggestion, there's a worthwhile charity opportunity right in Old San Juan. But it is not related to children. It is a hospice for poor elderly folks with no family to take care of them. It's run by the sisters of the Siervas de Maria (Servants of Mary) Order. It is located right next to Fortaleza, the Governor's mansion. It is a tradition here to visit the convent and visit with the seniors and bring them gifts and supplies, particularly during these high holiday months (December and January).

Contact info: Casa de Salud Siervas de María. 1 Fortaleza Street, San Juan, PR 00901. Tel. 787-723-4558.

Since this is a Spanish order, their website is in Spanish but you might be able to Google translate.

http://www.siervasdemariaantillas.org/?id=home

If I may make a suggestion, there's a worthwhile charity opportunity right in Old San Juan. But it is not related to children. It is a hospice for poor elderly folks with no family to take care of them. It's run by the sisters of the Siervas de Maria (Servants of Mary) Order. It is located right next to Fortaleza, the Governor's mansion. It is a tradition here to visit the convent and visit with the seniors and bring them gifts and supplies, particularly during these high holiday months (December and January).

Contact info: Casa de Salud Siervas de María. 1 Fortaleza Street, San Juan, PR 00901. Tel. 787-723-4558.

Since this is a Spanish order, their website is in Spanish but you might be able to Google translate.

http://www.siervasdemariaantillas.org/?id=home

What a wonderful suggestion. Thank you.