Panama Canal April 2015 Southern Cross?

ace30927

HI,

We will be cruising Legend of the Seas leaving from San Diego CA on April 14h. My boyfriend was wondering if we will be able to see the Southern Cross- if so where would be the best location to view it- If anyone else has any other tips or hints for this cruise that would be awesome too! TIA!!! :D

From what I am able to gather, Crux, or the Southern Cross, is visible below 25 degrees North latitude.

That means the Florida Keys should be able to see it in the southern sky and Panama, at about 9 degrees North, should certainly offer a view a little higher in the southern sky.

Happy star gazing! :)

Interesting question... I would think on your cruise possibly the night or so before you arrive at Puerto Quetzal you could start looking for it. Found this on Wikipedia, you may have to adjust the times a bit for what time zone you are in...

"Crux is easily visible from the southern hemisphere at practically any time of year. It is also visible near the horizon from tropical latitudes of the northern hemisphere for a few hours every night during the northern winter and spring. For instance, it is visible from Cancun or any other place at latitude 25° N or less at around 10 pm at the end of April.[13][14] There are 5 main stars."

Edited by BillB48

• 3 weeks later...