colon stop from 8-7 looking for a "nature trip" no locks needed

fvandewouwer

Hi,

RCI April stop Colon from 8-7 ( day after full transit canal )

We know that the Panama cruise most people take to see the working of the locks, we are from Antwerp and have been too many times into locks so we are more interested in the wildlife and beauty of the national parks

can anyone help us finding a shore excursion ( private ) to one of the most beautiful national parks of Panama.

As we will not stop in Panama City but sail to Puntarenas there is also an option to go to Panama City but I wonder if that would not be too far from Colon

Any help much appreciated

thanks for your time

best regards from Belgium

Frie

Sorry I can't offer any help in a private tour of the areas you are interested in, perhaps there might be someone on your Roll Call that may have a private tour that you may be able to join. As for visiting the national parks, Panama's National Parks are really just protected areas that restrict habitation, farming and such... not actually set up as a visitor attraction. There are a couple of tours that would take you within some of the areas of the parks such as the Gamboa Aerial Tram or a trip to "Monkey Island." You can get a good feel for the rain forest on either of these trips and you will see a great deal of the rain forest on your Gatun Lake crossing during your transit.

A trip to Panama City is something that can be done from Colon very easily. Most of the trip to the Pacific side is on a modern expressway and normally doesn't take much more than an hour each way.

Hi BillB48 thank you so much for your input, really appreciate it

will check out Monkey Island and Gamboa Aerial Tram but I had no idea that we would see a great deal of the rain forest on our way crossing the canal

perhaps we need to hire a taxi to take us to Panama City if it only takes about one hour it should be doable ... ( in Panama we can take the HOHO bus )

maybe too much for a day .....

I also met someone on TA who is doing the same cruise ( I am trying to read as much as I can and saw someone asking almost the same question on TA ) and she gave me a link to a private tour company that helps cruise people building there own day so ...

did not have the time to write them an email but will certainly do and see with what they will come up to

thanks again for your time to explain me a little more about those national parks ( really had no clue )

I do wish you a very nice day and a splendid weekend

from cold Belgium

Frie

Sorry I can't offer any help in a private tour of the areas you are interested in, perhaps there might be someone on your Roll Call that may have a private tour that you may be able to join. As for visiting the national parks, Panama's National Parks are really just protected areas that restrict habitation, farming and such... not actually set up as a visitor attraction. There are a couple of tours that would take you within some of the areas of the parks such as the Gamboa Aerial Tram or a trip to "Monkey Island." You can get a good feel for the rain forest on either of these trips and you will see a great deal of the rain forest on your Gatun Lake crossing during your transit.

A trip to Panama City is something that can be done from Colon very easily. Most of the trip to the Pacific side is on a modern expressway and normally doesn't take much more than an hour each way.

Our ship stopped on the Pacific side of the canal and offered a tour. First by bus, then by boat. Our boat guide pointed out birds and lured capuchin monkeys down on the boat with a fruit she had picked before. The boat tour started near Gamboa where the small marina had a fleet of excursion boats.

There was a bad traffic jam on the way back to the ship. Luckily we were on a ship excursion and knew the ship would wait for us.

I hope you enjoyed your cruise, RCI ?

if I check the tours from the cruise line there is no such tour perhaps their online list is not complete.

It seems like a nice trip you had, and luckily you took a ship's tour regarding the traffic jam ( boarding at Colon ?? )

still not sure what to do but would not want to miss the ship that is for sure:eek:

thanks for your time to reply

have a wonderful day

Our ship stopped on the Pacific side of the canal and offered a tour. First by bus, then by boat. Our boat guide pointed out birds and lured capuchin monkeys down on the boat with a fruit she had picked before. The boat tour started near Gamboa where the small marina had a fleet of excursion boats.

There was a bad traffic jam on the way back to the ship. Luckily we were on a ship excursion and knew the ship would wait for us.

When you are on a ship's excursion, the ship will wait if you are delayed...and if they can't wait, they will get you to the next port on their dime. (So, 99% of the time, they will wait!!). A private tour, while seldom late, will NOT get you to the next port....you're on your own.

If something is a goodly distance from port, and it's an "all day" trip, then a ship's excursion will be like an insurance policy!

thanks yes we know after all those cruises we have never missed the ship but a couple of times we came too close and that was really scary

have my doubts about Colon ( only one way to and from Panama city ) but really do not want a buss-ship tour it is just not that kind of traveling for us

have a nice weekend

Frie

When you are on a ship's excursion, the ship will wait if you are delayed...and if they can't wait, they will get you to the next port on their dime. (So, 99% of the time, they will wait!!). A private tour, while seldom late, will NOT get you to the next port....you're on your own.

If something is a goodly distance from port, and it's an "all day" trip, then a ship's excursion will be like an insurance policy!