Edinburg from ship

DMRick

What types of transportation is there to and from Edinburg from the ship and how far are we actually from Edinburg center city? Does anyone have a suggestion for a place for us to meet our son, who is flying into Edinburg to site see with us? Is Edinburg like Dublin, easy to get around?

I wish the search worked!

Thank you.

Where will your ship dock - Leith, South Queensferry or Rosyth?

Edinburgh is fairly small so should not be an issue travelling around. The airport is to the west of the city - 30 minutes or so by bus to the city centre.

When does your son arrive at the airport? This would help us give you some info on where and when to meet.

If you're arriving on a cruise ship, the train is about a 20 minute, or so, walk (uphill). It takes you to the main terminal, which is about a 15 minute walk from the Royal Mile.

This is the case if the ship anchors at South Queensferry, not all ships do, hence my first question.

Hi Doris,

In answer to your question we dock at South Queensferry.It is a 15-30 min walk to the Dalmeny train station which is uphill steep and has about 150 steps then continues up a steep hill to reach the train station through woods. The train ride is about 20 minutes or so. You buy your train ticket first then climb over the overpass to the other side of the tracks to catch the train to Edinburgh. They also said that once you get to Waverly station in Edinburgh it is a sttp walk uphill 15-20 minutes to reach the Royal Mile. I found this info on different posts under this forum. A taxi to Edinburgh costs about 19-20 pounds per a couple of post. can be shared with other people in the car. Per vehicle not per person. It is a 30-40 minute ride per posts I have read. I don't know where a good spot wold be to meet up with your Son. Maybe someone familar with Scotland would have a good idea. Kay

I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with the ports of this cruise. I think it has a lot to do with the ports not being in the cities we are visiting.

My son is flying in the night before. I don't have his hotel yet, but had hoped to find an easy place to meet him once we get into Edinburgh. Thaks Kay for telling me what the port is, since I went to Celebrity and couldn't find it listed.

So, you walk about 20 minutes to the train station, the train takes about 20 minutes (any idea on the cost of the train..I did read we should have pounds to pay it), then it's another 20 minute walk to the main area, where we would either meet him, or get on a hop on hop off (assuming here) to the main area of Edinburgh..or will I already be there? So, about an hour from the cruise ship..gosh, not much time, before we need to reverse the process.

When you say the cab ride is 20 pounds a couple..do you mean from the cruise ship to ...somewhere in Edinburgh? So, if we share a cab about $20.

30-40 minute ride per posts..I guess I don't know what that means. Ah, give me the Caribbean anytime LOL. I have been lost through this entire planning!

Hi Doris,

In answer to your question we dock at South Queensferry.It is a 15-30 min walk to the Dalmeny train station which is uphill steep and has about 150 steps then continues up a steep hill to reach the train station through woods. The train ride is about 20 minutes or so. You buy your train ticket first then climb over the overpass to the other side of the tracks to catch the train to Edinburgh. They also said that once you get to Waverly station in Edinburgh it is a sttp walk uphill 15-20 minutes to reach the Royal Mile. I found this info on different posts under this forum. A taxi to Edinburgh costs about 19-20 pounds per a couple of post. can be shared with other people in the car. Per vehicle not per person. It is a 30-40 minute ride per posts I have read. I don't know where a good spot wold be to meet up with your Son. Maybe someone familar with Scotland would have a good idea. Kay

The cab ride is from the port to the center of Edinburgh. The train takes you to Waverly station and its 15-20 minute walk to the royal Mile center of town. If you google Edinburgh Scotland maps you can print out a map of downtown Edinburgh or at least get an idea of where we are docked in reference to where town is located. by posts I guess I'm using the wrong terminology. I probably should be saying threads. I am new to cruise critic and the jargon. Sorry for the confusion.

The one way CheapDay fare between Dalmeny Station in South Queensferry and Edinburgh is 3.50 pounds; the Standard one way fare is 6 pounds. CheapDay fares are not available during rush hour times. Trains are 2-4 an hour depending on the time of day. For detailed fare/shcedule info, go to nationalrail.co.uk and enter for info between Dalmeny Station and Edinburgh.

I would suggest you meet your son at the Scott Monument. It is on Princes Streeet about 3 minutes from the station. it is 200 feet high and you cannot miss it

The Royal Mile is about 10 minute walk (£3 in a taxi) and is a lovely street which leads to the Castle (unmissable if you are interested in history)

Here is a handy tourist map of the city centre.

http://www.edinburghcastle.biz/popups/map.html

LOL..my mind was just elsewhere. I was thinking like some of our bus stops, there are posts..and that you meant they charged by the posts..so much per mile post marker. Ah, you mean by posts on the threads! Silly me LOL!

I've tried looking around the threads, but without a search, it's been hard.

Thank you all, for the info...and the Scott Monument sounds like a great place to meet my son and daughter in law.

The cab ride is from the port to the center of Edinburgh. The train takes you to Waverly station and its 15-20 minute walk to the royal Mile center of town. If you google Edinburgh Scotland maps you can print out a map of downtown Edinburgh or at least get an idea of where we are docked in reference to where town is located. by posts I guess I'm using the wrong terminology. I probably should be saying threads. I am new to cruise critic and the jargon. Sorry for the confusion.

This is great..thank you!

Be aware that because EDI is in the middle of having tramway routes installed...many streets are under going work and some of these might be temporary "no go" routes for any regular bus service ..for example Shandwick Place....see on map ...you would normally come along this street to arrive on Princes Street ( main street).....Buses are currently using alternative route(s) but this will probably be along one of the streets running parallel to Princes Street, like George street or Queen street .

The (Sir Walter) Scott Monument is very tall and easily spotted so makes an ideal "meet point". If you want more info I'll give you my personal email to assist.

Yvonne

Be aware that because EDI is in the middle of having tramway routes installed...many streets are under going work and some of these might be temporary "no go" routes for any regular bus service ..for example Shandwick Place....see on map ...you would normally come along this street to arrive on Princes Street ( main street).....Buses are currently using alternative route(s) but this will probably be along one of the streets running parallel to Princes Street, like George street or Queen street .

The (Sir Walter) Scott Monument is very tall and easily spotted so makes an ideal "meet point". If you want more info I'll give you my personal email to assist.

Yvonne

Yvonne, this sounds so interesting! Do you have a link or information on the location of the tramways?

Thank you!

Yvonne, this sounds so interesting! Do you have a link or information on the location of the tramways?

Thank you!

Not so interesting Penny...only upset and upheaval as they have only just started digging up the roads / re-routing services to put in the tramway lines..... it will eventually run from the airport to Leith but that is going to be a loo-o-ng time away from now.

The disruption is confined to the main line the trams will take which should not affect visitors really but some transport routes in town will have to make their way around the disruption...we have an excellent bus service generally.

If you are coming in from Hawes Pier by train it will not affect you at all..only taxi and bus routes might be making slight route changes once they reach town to avoid the disruption.

I'll try to answer any further questions best I can.

Yvonne

Thanks Yvonne, I depend on buses when in Edinburgh and find them easy to use. I also do a great deal of walking.

My first visit to Edinburgh was a very long time ago and in winter. Fell in love with the people and the city.

I return as often as I can do so.

I live in an area (north Texas) with feeble public transport. I'd love to live in an area where I do not have to keep a car.

You are lucky to have a transport system that works. My husband and I have to keep 2 cars in order to do daily things and for me to work. (he retired ahead of me!)

One of my retirement goals is to reduce to one car and travel more.

Penny

Thanks Yvonne, I depend on buses when in Edinburgh and find them easy to use. I also do a great deal of walking.

My first visit to Edinburgh was a very long time ago and in winter. Fell in love with the people and the city.

I return as often as I can do so.

I live in an area (north Texas) with feeble public transport. I'd love to live in an area where I do not have to keep a car.

You are lucky to have a transport system that works. My husband and I have to keep 2 cars in order to do daily things and for me to work. (he retired ahead of me!)

One of my retirement goals is to reduce to one car and travel more.

Penny

Welcome home Penny....we like to have people visit who like us! I presume you won't need your winter underwear in Texas...but remember over here we can get 4 seasons in one day so come prepared..if you have been here before in winter you'll get my drift! I haven't actually checked when your cruise is coming in , I was just browsing the boards for details for our own cruise.

We run two cars as you do mainly because we live just outside the city boundary..and because the price of gas here is pretty steep we are always trying to conserve the travel we need to do especially since we are now retired and it makes travelling by car particularly an expensive item. Having a freeby bus pass to anywhere in SCOTLAND is a very welcome development for seniors from our new gov. , but sad to say we haven't really used it to date. Going on too many cruises!!!

If there is anything else I can help you with please just post.

Slainge,

Yvonne

Welcome home Penny....we like to have people visit who like us! I presume you won't need your winter underwear in Texas...but remember over here we can get 4 seasons in one day so come prepared..if you have been here before in winter you'll get my drift! I haven't actually checked when your cruise is coming in , I was just browsing the boards for details for our own cruise.

We run two cars as you do mainly because we live just outside the city boundary..and because the price of gas here is pretty steep we are always trying to conserve the travel we need to do especially since we are now retired and it makes travelling by car particularly an expensive item. Having a freeby bus pass to anywhere in SCOTLAND is a very welcome development for seniors from our new gov. , but sad to say we haven't really used it to date. Going on too many cruises!!!

If there is anything else I can help you with please just post.

Slainge,

Yvonne

Yvonne, I do appreciate your information. My next trip to Edinburgh will not be by ship. I'm an still working and will hitch a trip to Scotland on to the end of a working trip to Birmingham England next year. Likely I'll arrive in your Capital City via a humble coach.

A wee bit of sugar to look forward to after a period of hard work.

Perhaps your new tram can get me from the city centre to the airport when it is time to depart.

When I was young, able and short of money, I walked and rode village buses over a great deal of Scotland and have many memories of that trip. I stayed with elderly ladies who had a spare room and found tea along the way.

Oh the prices in those days!

I am still a walker, but much slower. I don't mind cold weather but don't care for Edinburgh when it is hot as I've been there once when it surely was.

I feel very at home in Scotland and seem to know my way around on a very ancient level which is logical as some of my ancestors were from there having stepped off to the New World from the Leigh Dock. What must that have been like?

I take my time in Edinburgh and try to soak up as much atmosphere and history as I can. That and a cup of decent tea and I'm very happy.

Thanks again!

Penny

If six of us share a cab into Edinburgh from teh ship, do you know if the cabs come to the port with vans, that could hold 6? Thanks again.

If they know a ship is coming in they MIGHT ??? besiege the dock area with cabs/minibuses...what day of the week do you arrive????

You could internet book someone local to come pick you up and take you where you want to go...Linlithgow is nearby and has companies who do taxis... as an example. The area is pretty far out of town for passing taxis / minibuses to happen along...better to book ahead , but if they are expecting a ship in it makes good business sense for them to tout there for business that day. Just my opinion. I am not connected in any way to any taxi company so have no personal benefit if you decide to do this.

It seemed to me last year our friends would have had to pay an extraordinary shuttle fee to make the journey into town/ back again..it was not a constant shuttle either... you made the journey in by bus and then you collected at the pickup point and came back ...not really a shuttle.... which implies going in and out regularly.The trip is too far for that.I think they called it EDI on your own.

Sharing a taxi/ minibus would be the ideal way to do it if you can manage to organise it amongst yourselves.

Yvonne, I do appreciate your information. My next trip to Edinburgh will not be by ship. I'm an still working and will hitch a trip to Scotland on to the end of a working trip to Birmingham England next year. Likely I'll arrive in your Capital City via a humble coach.

A wee bit of sugar to look forward to after a period of hard work.

Perhaps your new tram can get me from the city centre to the airport when it is time to depart.

When I was young, able and short of money, I walked and rode village buses over a great deal of Scotland and have many memories of that trip. I stayed with elderly ladies who had a spare room and found tea along the way.

Oh the prices in those days!

I am still a walker, but much slower. I don't mind cold weather but don't care for Edinburgh when it is hot as I've been there once when it surely was.

I feel very at home in Scotland and seem to know my way around on a very ancient level which is logical as some of my ancestors were from there having stepped off to the New World from the Leigh Dock. What must that have been like?

I take my time in Edinburgh and try to soak up as much atmosphere and history as I can. That and a cup of decent tea and I'm very happy.

Thanks again!

Penny

Penny...the trams will not be up and running even next year, but airport buses leave the city centre and are reasonable in price. The airport is much improved and very busy these days... the town is actually full of business!

Prices will be sky high compared to when you last visited.

The centre on Princes Street has good records of who sailed for what other country... way back.... if you are interested in tracing your ancestry. I had to phone them last year for someone who wanted to spend their day here (off the ship) finding their personal heritage info.

The decent cup of tea is still to be found I am happy to tell you...it's my own choice as well.

The B and B's are still all here too! Hotel prices are outrageous.

As for the weather we have to take what comes and be thankful.

Happy sailing in the meantime.

Yvonne

Yvonne, I've visited Scotland many times over the years and am emotionally prepared for the prices. The price I paid for a B & B in Edinburgh in my young days was 7 pounds 50 for a very nice room, toilet down the hall and a full breakfast.

I have been doing research on the ancestors. One side of the family is from Tronheim Norway and the other is mostly from Scotland. I think the Vikings are in my family line over and over again.

The thing that has thrown me off course on the research is the spelling of names. Let's just say they were free with the alphabet!

Also just about every woman was named Mary or Elizabeth. Throw in about 50 people who were Campbells and a couple dozen McDonalds..... clear as mud!

I wonder if I can get a senior discount on those buses!

Penny

PS, and there are Gordons as well. The unusual name that may actually give me a valid lead is beyond spelling as it was spelled every which way. Dare I forget the Douglas folks?

Yvonne, I've visited Scotland many times over the years and am emotionally prepared for the prices. The price I paid for a B & B in Edinburgh in my young days was 7 pounds 50 for a very nice room, toilet down the hall and a full breakfast.

I have been doing research on the ancestors. One side of the family is from Tronheim Norway and the other is mostly from Scotland. I think the Vikings are in my family line over and over again.

The thing that has thrown me off course on the research is the spelling of names. Let's just say they were free with the alphabet!

Also just about every woman was named Mary or Elizabeth. Throw in about 50 people who were Campbells and a couple dozen McDonalds..... clear as mud!

I wonder if I can get a senior discount on those buses!

Penny

PS, and there are Gordons as well. The unusual name that may actually give me a valid lead is beyond spelling as it was spelled every which way. Dare I forget the Douglas folks?

Don't know about the seniors discount ...Penny...we never use the airport bus because we live just outwith the city boundary so we get our son to drive us to the airport and pickup instead of going into town from the south and then out to the airport to the west... the other side of the triangle is more direct.

I think we were often invaded (raided and pillaged is the expression) by the Vikings regularly.... up in Shetland they still have the Vilking valhalla ceremony every year..they probably had Viking visitations pretty frequently up there as geographically they are pretty near Scandinavia.

With regard to the names ....they used to call everyone after their father or mother...big John ..wee John etc ....to differentiate sort of thing..once they got past 2 kids they must have been struggling!

Royal names were also popular...so if the current king was James..lots of little James's. I think the clan system also had preferred name choices.

We're lowlanders and have been for centuries..so we are not gaelic speaking.I need subtitles for the tv broadcasts in gaelic.

It's a hard life!

Yvonne

Yvonne, well, I'll do the best I can with senior discounts and those names.

Not a James in the family. Not one!

Judging from my late mother's attitude about the Royals (she was born in 1907), they were no Royalists in her family.

We have a good friend who is a McDonald. Texans insist on calling him Mac Donald. He gets mail to Mr. Mac Donald and even Mr. Mack Donald.

So now you've heard it all.

Hi, I hope you don't mind if I revisit this. We had planned on reserving before we leave home, a taxi to pick us up at the cruise and share with 2 other couples. One of the couples has recently been on a cruise in the Baltics, and they were provided with shuttle info at each port, about $15 pp. I thought I was told there is no shuttle, just the cruiseship (X Constellation) see Edinburgh on your own, for $69, with one trip in and one trip back to the ship. I was under the assumption that there are not always cabs waiting at South Queensferry, as most take the train. Can someone from the area give me a bit more advice on this. Can we expect there will be cabs (as there has been at every port I've ever been at) that we can just go down and grab, or should we reserve in advance? We obviously can't give a cab driver the exact time we'll get off the ship, as we tender, and I'm sure those on ship tours get to tender first. I hate to reserve a cab, then find out they are a lot less expensive at the curb, or that there is an inexpensive shuttle. Thanks in advance.

Sharing a taxi/ minibus would be the ideal way to do it if you can manage to organise it amongst yourselves.

Hi, I hope you don't mind if I revisit this. We had planned on reserving before we leave home, a taxi to pick us up at the cruise and share with 2 other couples. One of the couples has recently been on a cruise in the Baltics, and they were provided with shuttle info at each port, about $15 pp. I thought I was told there is no shuttle, just the cruiseship (X Constellation) see Edinburgh on your own, for $69, with one trip in and one trip back to the ship. I was under the assumption that there are not always cabs waiting at South Queensferry, as most take the train. Can someone from the area give me a bit more advice on this. Can we expect there will be cabs (as there has been at every port I've ever been at) that we can just go down and grab, or should we reserve in advance? We obviously can't give a cab driver the exact time we'll get off the ship, as we tender, and I'm sure those on ship tours get to tender first. I hate to reserve a cab, then find out they are a lot less expensive at the curb, or that there is an inexpensive shuttle. Thanks in advance.

Hi there, here I am again!

You are correct , if Constellation is offering the "EDi on your own package" which they did last year on Century..we met friends in town from the ship then , so we know what the charges were...excessive!

It is definitely a one journey into town drop off and pick up around 5 ish at Waterloo place ( or it was last year) ...not a regular shuttle service, in and out , in and out which is what I think shuttle implies..

However our friends chose to pay the (overly) expensive price and take the transfer package because at least they knew the ship would wait for them in the event of any problem getting back to the ship from town in rush hour but I still think it is grossly expensive to charge that price.

The other choice is the train from the local station right into the centre of EDI town (Waverley station) which is fairly cheap...but it involves walking uphill and stairs/steps to the station and platforms...

Or take a cab...but cabs are not really hanging around at Hawes Pier ( under the River Forth bridges,) where you will come in on a daily basis.... although the local ones will know a ship is due in and they may attend hoping to pick up fares.

EDI town centre is AT LEAST half an hour by bus depending on traffic conditions and if you arrive on a working day , part of the route into town is a main artery and busy in rush hour so taking longer.

S. Queensferry is a generally quiet little place , so unless there are visitors, cabs won't pick up a great deal of business, therefore they may not spend a lot of time there looking for business.

However I have never been there myself in the morning to see what happens when a large ship like Connie comes in..... taxis will be looking for business if it is there to take, but remember the trip is at least half an hour into town to drop off and the same time back again and they might find it very hard to find someone wishing to go back immediately to Hawes Pier to justify going back to find another fare there, which is why pre booking a cab if you have enough people to justify it is the safer option.Of course you will also have to find another transfer back to the ship at the end of your day.

S. Queensferry is not a port as such, like ports generally are..it is a small town with some shops, restaurants etc the odd hotel here and there, but it does not regularly receive ships except cruise ships when they are too big to dock in town at Leith docks.This is why cabs don't really hang about there except when they know a ship like Connie is arriving and some business will likely be available.

If you are going to be later off the ship due to the tours / elites etc getting priority tendering then you might not find any available..the early birds sort of thing.... can't speculate on that.....sorry .

I've never spoken to anyone who took a cab to town to find out what it cost either, sorry, so as to help you make a more informed choice. I would think it might cost around £15 one way as we pay a whacking price per gallon these days . I pay more than £5 a gallon = $10 plus I think for my (economic) car.

I have tried to answer specifically what you ask but if there is still anything unclear ...post your question(s) , again.

Yvonne

Archived