Flooding in France

jamscckmc

Great website and tip about translations. Thank you.

A river that is "high" but still within its banks and not technically in flood can still be a problem for cruise boats fitting under bridges, navigating in strong flows or docking.

Earlier this month the Seine in Paris stayed within its banks, ie did not "flood" but the city cruise boats could not move for a few days. I'm not sure if the longer river cruises to Normandy were disrupted.

We just got back from the Rhone/Saone cruise and the Rhone was absolutely fine, not affected by the flood affecting the northern part of France. We did have some trouble with the Saone. After docking in Macon and being bussed to Beaune, we were told the ship needed to immediately return to Lyon and we would be bussed to Lyon from Beaune (rather than going back to Macon) so that the ship did not get stuck on the Saone. It made for a longer bus ride (about 1.5 hours instead of 30 minutes) but it was not too bad. The rest of the trip was completely fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked today and the Scenic Gem could not pass under a bridge, on its way back to Paris. Passengers for disembarkation and embarkation had to be bussed two hours out of town to find the ship.

They hope the water levels will drop some so it can return in 10 days from it itinerary and get back to Paris.

I will keep my fingers crossed, because we will be waiting for it to dock 10 days from now in Paris...

Edited by carefreecruise