am I between the rock and the hard place??

searoses

Last week booked princess european cruise for sept 2015....delighted to find a necessary hc cabin and a price we could afford for our fantasy retirement cruise...

Then I head to travel ins because I always get the pre-existing coverage....I see the term " look back" for the first time...have never needed to use ins.....if you look back 60 days you will find I spent a night in the hosp and got a new rx for a- fib that had gone over a year with no problem.....does this preclude covering pre-existing?......most people could just wait until the 60 days had passed and book but I will not be finding that price and an hc cabin if I wait....

My other thought was to take princess ins and take the cruise credit if we had to cancel.....it says future cruise.....we could do 2 caribbean cruises for that amont...is it "a" cruise or a dollar amount credit.....thanks so much for any input....I know to call the ins people and princess directly but have been on numerous cruises and trips so I don't rely on what I get over the phone....cruise critic is a good way to validate info...

If you are purchasing third party insurance, do so within the 14-21 day time limit and the PEC limits disappear. By purchasing it now, you are purchasing a waiver of that lookback period, as long as you are able to travel on the day of purchase. Make sure you are purchasing a quality policy that includes this provision.

The Princess insurance is a dollar amount credit, it is the fare paid for the cancelled cruise. It is also less comprehensive coverage, but that age-blind pricing and any-reason credit is a large hook.

Edited by cherylandtk

Last week booked princess european cruise for sept 2015....delighted to find a necessary hc cabin and a price we could afford for our fantasy retirement cruise...

Then I head to travel ins because I always get the pre-existing coverage....I see the term " look back" for the first time...have never needed to use ins.....if you look back 60 days you will find I spent a night in the hosp and got a new rx for a- fib that had gone over a year with no problem.....does this preclude covering pre-existing?......most people could just wait until the 60 days had passed and book but I will not be finding that price and an hc cabin if I wait....

My other thought was to take princess ins and take the cruise credit if we had to cancel.....it says future cruise.....we could do 2 caribbean cruises for that amont...is it "a" cruise or a dollar amount credit.....thanks so much for any input....I know to call the ins people and princess directly but have been on numerous cruises and trips so I don't rely on what I get over the phone....cruise critic is a good way to validate info...

Are you located in the USA? (Reason for asking is that insurance options can be quite different in other countries, and we have no experience with those.)

Very strongly suggest that you call Steve (or Kim or Deana, or others?) at

TripInsuranceStore.com

Look at the website *briefly* and the CALL them to TALK.

There is no way to be able to understand all of the "fine print" online in those comparison charts, etc.

You are within the required 14 -21 day "from very first payment" (refundable deposit or not), so you will have many options.

They can describe the "pre-existing coverage" options, and the "look back period" information, but IF YOU ARE ABLE TO TRAVEL ON THE DAY THAT YOU PURCHASE THE INSURANCE, then *IF* you purchase insurance that does not exclude pre-existing conditions, that "look back period" is *not* relevant.

It won't matter what happened the year before, the month before, the day before you buy the insurance or booked the cruise, or what happens from that point forward until the cruise.

--> Just make absolutely sure to document ALL payments that need to be covered, and also up the insurance amount every time you add non-refundable costs to your trip.

Steve/etc., will explain all of this to you.

(Some policies will work a bit differently; that's why you want to speak with a live person who can provide information about insurance choices from several different insurance companies. They'll help you pick the one that is right for your needs/concerns.)

If you've got something like a-fib, tell them, and thus make sure that you get a policy where there is no nasty fine print that might pop up later to cause a denial in the off chance you actually need the insurance.

With a condition like that, you want to make sure that you also have medical and evacuation coverage, not just payments if you need to cancel the trip.

And most insurance purchased NOT through a cruise company is actual "money back", not a "cruise credit", which you may or may not want to use (on the same cruise line, etc.).

Chances are you'll have a great time, and with the right insurance, you won't have to have just the kind of worries that you are having right now.

Then you can spend that time/effort planning more for a very special trip!

:)

GeezerCouple

What Geezer Couple said.... talk to Steve and his staff. They are very helpful and knowledgeable. They were a huge help to us insuring our replacement trip when we had to cancel our Baltic cruise at the last minute this past May. The insurance we had on that trip did finally pay most of our claim but it was a pain dealing with them and with the people from the web site that sold me the policy and recommended the insurer.