Warm Chocolate Melting Cake

dmfriedman

My brother had been on a cruise and had bragged about the warm melting cake. But OMG I didn't realize how good it really was. We tried it the first night and never missed a night of ordering it. Matter of fact, it was on the buffet for lunch a couple days and had it then too. ...HOWEVER, Eating it by itself is a bit rich. Our server brought us 2 cups of ice cream and my brother showed us the TRICK TO EATING IT...you have to take a 1/2 spoon of ice cream and 1/2 spoon of the cake to make the right mix. The hot/cold mixture is soothing and the ice cream takes some of the extreme sweetness out of the bite.

• 2 months later...

I just came off the Conquest two weeks ago and I did get the recipe from the Matre D for the melting cake. My friend bought one of their cookbooks and they thru the melting cake in. Here it is!

Semi Sweet Chocolate 11oz

Butter 11oz

Fresh Eggs 7 ea

Sugar 22 oz

Flour 11 oz

Melt Chocolate & Butter

Mix half egg & sugar and whisk for a few minues & add flour. Then add the balance egg.

Add egg mixture to the melted chocolate mixture

Pour the mixture in the ramekin cups

Bake directly in the oven at 200 Celsius for 15-20 minutes

Serve with vanilla ice cream

Garnish with Sweet Chocolate & Powdered sugar!

We are making it this afternoon for the first time, will let you know how it turns out!

• 3 weeks later...
I just came off the Conquest two weeks ago and I did get the recipe from the Matre D for the melting cake. My friend bought one of their cookbooks and they thru the melting cake in. Here it is!

Semi Sweet Chocolate 11oz

Butter 11oz

Fresh Eggs 7 ea

Sugar 22 oz

Flour 11 oz

Melt Chocolate & Butter

Mix half egg & sugar and whisk for a few minues & add flour. Then add the balance egg.

Add egg mixture to the melted chocolate mixture

Pour the mixture in the ramekin cups

Bake directly in the oven at 200 Celsius for 15-20 minutes

Serve with vanilla ice cream

Garnish with Sweet Chocolate & Powdered sugar!

We are making it this afternoon for the first time, will let you know how it turns out!

Are you sure the amounts for sugar and flour in your recipe are correct? The recipe on Carnival letterhead that was scanned by lady_ravenhawk above shows the same amounts for chocalate, butter, and eggs, but yours has seven times the amount of sugar, and three times the amount of flour. Have you tried your version?

• 4 weeks later...
I can't help you, but I just wanted to tell you----------Wow, you are the best boyfriend ever! :D (Or else you are really in the doghouse! lol)

I was on a 2-week Med cruise and had to start leaving the table before desert was offered because I was not going to fit in my clothes by the end of the trip -- the warm chocolate melting cake was so wonderful.

I did want to comment that boyfriends/husbands like this are not that difficult to find. There are many men who want most of all to please their lady but you won't find one if you spend time dating men who are not built this way and they have to know what you want. I want another European cruise.

I had it twice on our recent cruise. The first time I got it, it was very "melted" but the next time it had more cake with a little pudding. Nonetheless, it was very good! Both times it was served with vanilla ice cream.

i went on the carnaville triumph in jan 13-20 of 2007 it was my first 1 i had just turned 30 and my mom and step dad took me i didnt have to pay for anything i loved it i had a blast i wish i had the money to go again cause its the most relaxing thing to do we went from miami to san juan pr to st thomas and st martin they were all real beautiful places and i want to go again i live in ohio and wheni was over there we were getting snow here i never wanted to come back but the best part of the cruise was the chcolate warming melting cake i had it every nite and 1 nite i had it twice it was so good that i had been trying to find the recipe and i just found it today by searching google and it brought me to this website thank you all for this site cause now im goin to try to make it this week and i will let u know how it comes out i went on the cruise weighing 110lbs and when i came back went to docs a month later i was 118lbs so i think i gained it fro that but u know it was worth it all its so yummy

I love this desert so much that when it came to the table she was like how good could this little thing be... but with one taste she WAS HOOKED! We both had it every night with some ice cream... EMMM GOOD I cant wait to have it again!

We went on our first Carnival cruise in November - the cruise was the best. I had lurked on these boards for months before the sailing.

So as you can imagine - the first thing I wanted to do was try the melting cake.

It did not disappoint - I loved it and made it a point to eat it everynight.

I will be making it at home now since the receipes are posted here.

CHOCOLATE MELTING CAKE IS THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am desperately hoping someone might be able to get a recipe for Carnival's warm chocolate melting cake -- the one that's now on the alternative menu every night. My girlfriend fell in love with it and now I want to be able to make it for her.

If anyone can help, it'd be greatly appreciated!

We just left the Miracle saturday! One of the perks for taking the kitchen tour was the recipe for the chocolate melting cake! I am not sure how many servings this will make, but this is the recipe as Carnival gave it to me!

Ingredients.

Chocolate 1lb

Unsalted Butter 1lb

Fresh Eggs 10ea

Flour 5.5 oz

Sugar 4 oz

Method.

-Melt Chocolate along with butter.

-Beat eggs on double boiler with sugar, sieve the flour & mix.

-Fold in melted chocolate & butter in sugar & flour mix

-Bake @ 240f for 12 minutes in desired dish. (Ceramic Ramikins work best)

-Serve warm with ice cream of your choice.

Hope this works!

DD scoured the Internet for a Warm Chocolate Melting Cake recipe last year and I think she eventually found it here on CC. I have made this countless times and it tastes exactly like Carnival's recipe. You can make up a batch and just bake what you need as you want it, it lasts for days in the fridge (if you don't eat it all the first day!). The baking time can be adjusted depending on how much cake:liquid ratio you like.

I promise this is worth the effort!

1 1/3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (8 ounces)

1 stick salted butter (8 ounces)

1 stick unsalted butter (8 ounces)

5 eggs (room temperature)

5/8 cup sugar

2/3 cup flour

powdered sugar to taste

Melt chocolate and butter over low heat. In a bowl, mix together eggs and sugar and then add flour. Slowly wisk this into the chocolate mixture. Pour into greased (Pam) 4 ounce ramekins. Bake at 400 degrees for 11 minutes (my oven runs hot so adjust the time -especially if you like it cakier).

Dust with powdered sugar.

This is a very forgiving recipe. I have made it with whole wheat flour (trying to make it healthier LOL!) and with only four eggs (ran out). I also don't bother buying unsalted butter since I don't use it for anything else and we can't tell the difference anyways.

Enjoy!

I had to get my recipe in on this thread. This adaptation is the BEST!!!

I got this recipe from the Glory chef last April. He had a cooking demo in the Emerald Room. I have personally made this recipe. It is yummy!!! One trick - watch the time for baking. I found 18 minutes to be perfect in my oven. The top will puff and fall when they are removed from the oven. If you bake them too long they get very solid, like a spongy cupcake.

Warm chocolate meling cake

semi-sweet chocolate 8 oz.

butter 8 oz.

fresh eggs 7

sugar 3 oz.

flour 2 oz.

Melt chocolate and butter over a double boiler. Mix half the eggs and sugar. Whisk for a few minutes, then add the flour. Add the balance of the eggs. Add egg mixture to the melted chocolate mixture. Pour the mixture in the ramekin cups. Bake in a 375 degree F. oven (I put mine on a baking sheet.) for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream. This recipe made 10 cups. The unbaked batter can be refrigerated for one week. Make what you want and store the rest in the frig for another day!! Enjoy!!!

I think I am one of the minority group that was not that impressed with the warm chocolate melting cake...perhaps my expectations were too high after reading all the raves about it on the boards...one of my tablemates said that the one I ordered appeared to be very much undercooked...all I know is that it looked and tasted just like chocolate cake batter...it just turned me off, and I didn't want to try it again

now...the bitter and blanc is another story...loved it...I think it was my favorite dessert on the ship...a close second was the cappucino ice cream pie :)

wasn't too wild about the Grand Marnier souffle...on Thanksgiving Day, I had the pumpkin pie--ok but nothing special

• 2 months later...

We asked for the recipe.. The table steward brought us one to serve 1,000 people. But, our Maitre D brought us this one that will serve 10.

Now to translate it to cups and ounces? I would suggest looking at some other postings to get more exact directions on how to prepare it.

375 g Dark Chocolate

375 g Butter

8 ea Egg Yoke

7 ea Whole Egg

250 g Sugar

170 g Flour

-Melt the chocolate and the butter together until 64C

-Blend the egg yokes, Whole eggs and the sugar together than add the butter-chocolate mixture

-Add the flour

-Put in the Forms (prepare with butter and flour) and leave it for one day in the fridge

-Bake directly in the oven at 200 c for 8 minutes.

Move over, warm chocolate melting cake - the best dessert onboard is the Grand Marnier souffle with custard sauce. Now that's amazing!!

(And I love European, Dove and milk chocolate more than most human beings).

But then again, if you Warm Choc Melting Cake fanatics don't want to try the Grand Marnier souffle, that leaves even more me for me and DDs, ages 11 and 17!

I got the recipe from the head waiter on my last cruise.

11 oz. Semi-sweet chocolate (chocolate squares)

11 oz. butter (22 Tbsp.)

7 fresh eggs

3 oz. sugar (6 Tbsp.)

4 oz. Flour (8 Tbsp.)

1. Melt chocolate & butter.

2. Mix half of eggs & all of sugar. Whisk for a few minutes.

3. Add flour & stir.

4. Add remaining eggs & stir.

5. Add egg mixture to melted chocolate mixture, stir.

6. Pour mixture into ramekin cups.

7. Bake directly in the oven at 200 degrees celcius (400 degrees F.)

for 15 to 20 minutes.

8. Serve with vanilla icecream.

• 1 month later...

I've never been on a Carnival Cruise, but I've often heard about this type of cake, and had something similar on Royal Caribbean. Friends regularly sail on Carnival, and rave about the cake. I haven't tried any of the recipes yet myself (I will) but I wanted a quick "fix", so we headed to Trader Joe's and got a few last night. I thought they were very good, and appreciate the suggestion about TJ's from several of you. I was shocked at the price (LOW), and we thoroughly enjoyed them. One day we'll try Carnival. In the meantime, I'm feeling challenged to make it myself, but TJ version - for the ease and the price - makes me question the need!

Bob

Redhead1948----Have you made your recipe for Choc. melting cake? I just got off the Conquest and got a recipe from the waiter and it calls for 22 ozs of sugar and 11 ozs of flour, that sounds like way too much to me for 10 servings. Let me know, I plan on making this very soon.

Anyone else know or done this recipe? Thanks, kmbb

We went to a cooking demonstration on the Miracle last month, and the head chef handed out the Melting Chocolate Cake recipe. Here it is:

Portions: 8

Ingredients:

7 oz. semi sweet chocolate

7 oz. unsalted butter

6 eggs

3 oz. sugar

4 oz. flour

Melt chocolate and butter.

Mix 3 eggs & sugar and whisk for few minutes & add flour. Then add the other 3 eggs.

Add egg mixture to the melted chocolate mixture.

Pour mixture into the ramekin cups.

Put in refrigerator to cool for 45 minutes to 1 hour before baking.

Bake directly in the oven at 200 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.

Serve with vanilla ice cream.

I haven't tried to make the recipe yet. Let me know if you try it - I miss the chocolate melting cake!!!

Found the thread while searching for the recipe. Finally gave up and emailed Carnival. They coughed up the recipe! Oops.....it's enough for a ship full of people. If I ever get around to the conversions, I'll post. Maybe someone else will be really ambitious and post them for us. (Or, with the ingredients in hand, there's probably a similar, smaller recipe out there somewhere.) Good luck! Here it is:

MELTING CHOCOLATE CAKE:

80 lb Black chocolate

80 lb Butter

800 ea Eggs

50lb Sugar

30lb Flour

METHOD:

getmsg?&msg=57844D68-FD7C-495A-8D2C-5486CAA9974B&start=0&len=22499&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&a=8f387d9b2a6f14e4a9db572c59c457ca796447521ac9ef19b7495f1b83c30d6e&mimepart=5 Melt the chocolate & butter

getmsg?&msg=57844D68-FD7C-495A-8D2C-5486CAA9974B&start=0&len=22499&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&a=8f387d9b2a6f14e4a9db572c59c457ca796447521ac9ef19b7495f1b83c30d6e&mimepart=5 Mix the eggs & sugar and whisk for few minutes, add the flour

getmsg?&msg=57844D68-FD7C-495A-8D2C-5486CAA9974B&start=0&len=22499&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&a=8f387d9b2a6f14e4a9db572c59c457ca796447521ac9ef19b7495f1b83c30d6e&mimepart=5 Add the egg mix to the melted chocolate and mix

getmsg?&msg=57844D68-FD7C-495A-8D2C-5486CAA9974B&start=0&len=22499&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&a=8f387d9b2a6f14e4a9db572c59c457ca796447521ac9ef19b7495f1b83c30d6e&mimepart=5 Pour the mix in a greased mould.

getmsg?&msg=57844D68-FD7C-495A-8D2C-5486CAA9974B&start=0&len=22499&curmbox=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001&a=8f387d9b2a6f14e4a9db572c59c457ca796447521ac9ef19b7495f1b83c30d6e&mimepart=5 Bake directly in the oven at 200 C° for 14 minutes

Note: - Please make sure that the eggs are at room temperature and chocolate is warm enough while making the mixture

Here is the scaled down version:

Carnival’s Warm Chocolate Melting Cake We scaled Carnival's recipe down but couldn't help but share it in its original form. Serving 90, it called for 8 pounds of dark chocolate, 8 pounds of butter, 80 eggs, 5 pounds of sugar and 5 pounds of flour! This kitchen-friendly version will make 10 to 12 individual cakes.

Make sure that the eggs are at room temperature and chocolate is still warm when combining.

Ingredients 1 lb dark chocolate

1 lb butter 10 eggs

1/2 cup plus 4 tbsp sugar

1/2 cup less 4 tbsp flour

1. Melt the chocolate and butter together.

2. In a separate bowl, mix the eggs and sugar; whisk for a few minutes, then add the flour.

3. Add the egg mixture to the melted chocolate and mix.

4. Pour the mix into greased individual serving dishes. Bake in the oven at 200 degrees Celsius (between 375 and 400 Fahrenheit) for 14 minutes.

5. Enjoy warm!

Cruise Critic member tinabrn says it's "awesome with ice cream."

This should be as close as one can get. Scaled recipes do not always work right, however, I am always willing to be a test eater.

One thing to note: This is really a low-carb recipe and that is why I, as an insulin dependent diabetic, can eat it with just a small adjustment to my meal bolus.

Doc:D

We have ordered this desert most nights on our last three cruises. Most of the time, it is great. It can come somewhat underdone and runny, which is fine with me as it then tastes like really good chocolate syrup or somewhat overdone which can be quite dry. If you don't like it and think it is not cooked right, ask for a different one from a different batch; your waiter will be happy to do this. Then if you get two that are not up to par, order an apple pie or some other goodie.

Doc

I didn't read the entire thread, just the first and last pages, but if this hasn't been posted already, here is what Carnival issued for the Fun Sunday recently. We made it and it was PERFECT! Use 12 ramikens.

1 pound dark chocolate (I used chocolate chips)

1 pound butter

10 eggs

10 ounces sugar

6 ounces flour

Melt the chocolate and butter. Mix the eggs with the sugar and whisk for a few minutes; add the flour. Combine the egg mixture with the melted chocolate and mix. Then pour into individual greased molds. Bake directly in the oven at 400 degrees for 14 minutes.

Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and garnish with fresh fruit. Serve warm with ice cream.

Note: Please make sure the eggs are at room temperature and the chocolate is warm enough while making the mixture.

P.S. We tried cupcake tins the first time and while the end result was good, not nearly like it was in the actual ramiken. In the ramiken, it was no different than what you get on the ship!

Here is the recipie from my Matra'D prally misspelt that sorry :-(.

Melting Chocolate Cake served with vanilla ice cream

Portions:10

Ingredients Quantity

Meldinting Chocolate cake

Semi Sweet Chocolate 11 oz

Butter 11 oz

Fresh Eggs 7 ea

Sugar 3 oz

Flour 4 oz

Method:

Melt chocolate & butter

Mix half egg and Sugar and whisk for few minutes and add flour. Then add the balance egg.

Add Egg mixture to the melted chocolate mixture.

Pour the mixture in the (rameki) cups.

Bake directly in the oven at 200 Degree's C for 15-20 minutes.

Serve with vanilla ice creame in 2 oz cups.

Garnish:

Sweet chocolate

Chocolate sauce

Powder sugar

Hope this helps guys. This is from my my last trip which was too long ago (Yesterday) haha. Hope all enjoys and i'm sure carnival knows because they gave this out to many guests as we all were wondering how they made it :-D..

Enjoy