Help with International arrivals Atlanta

alynn

We're getting a little worried re our transfer in Atlanta at Christmas. Celebrity have booked our flights from the UK to San Juan with Delta. Being UK citizens we have to get through immigration and make our connection in 1 hour 39 minutes. We have spoken to both X and Delta who assure us that this is enough time to make the connection. Delta say they allow 1.5 hours (which gives us an extra 9 mins). and it is do able otherwise they wouldnt sell the flights. Celebrity are going along with Delta on this and wont change the flights.

We are on the last flight to San Juan that day and there is only 1 flight the following day that gets in before the ship departs and bearing in mind this is the Christmas period we are really worried.

Has anyone any advise or thoughts on this, also how does the luggage transfer work.

I don't know if I can be alot of help,but I have spent alot of time in the Atlanta airport. You will be comming in on the E wing of the terminal. On the flight you might have to fill out a card that says you might have something to declare. Other then that you will be able to walk to your next flight with no problem. You will not have to go through no screening or anything else. Just ask or look at the overhead board to fine where your next flight leaves out of and go down stair to the light rail that will take you to the a,b,c,or d wing. A hour and a half will be more then enought time. From one end of the terminal to the other you will be able to do in 15 to 20 min tops If you need to grab a bite to eat E terminal has the best places.

BOB

Personally, I wouldn't do this if I were booking the flights on my own. You'd need to allow an hour just to get through immigration, let alone getting to the right gate for your onward flight to San Juan. It's taken me either side of an hour to clear immigration when I've been through Atlanta.

However, I don't understand which flights you've been put on. On the day that you're flying (21 December, if I understand correctly), Delta has two flights to Atlanta. One departs at 1000 and arrives at 1445. The other departs at 1220 and arrives at 1710.

The later flight will not connect to any flights to San Juan that evening. But the earlier flight will connect to a flight that departs Atlanta at 1630 (1h45m connection) or the last flight of the day that departs Atlanta at 1819 (3h34m connection). Are you on one of these?

Also, the next day your ship sails at 2200. It looks like there are the following Delta flights that could get you to San Juan before the ship sails, should everything go pear-shaped:-

0930 arr 1420

1015 arr 1455

1125 arr 1605

So you have quite a lot of backup.

As for baggage transfer, it's the usual US thing: Clear immigration. Collect baggage. Clear customs. Then immediately after customs, give the bags back to the airline for the onward flight. Then clear security and go to the gate for your onward flight. I'm sorry to say that I think that betcat's advice is too optimistic because it omits several steps that you must go through. The time-consuming ones are immigration and security.

However, I don't understand which flights you've been put on. On the day that you're flying (21 December, if I understand correctly), Delta has two flights to Atlanta. One departs at 1000 and arrives at 1445. The other departs at 1220 and arrives at 1710.

Thanks Globaliser

We're on the 12.00 noon from Manchester which arrives at 4.40pm then onto the 6.19pm.

Where did you discover the next day flight timings, I've looked on the Delta site and the first direct flight doesnt come up until 4.30pm arriving SJU 8.56pm, It may be the earlier flights are full. There are earlier flights with a stop over in Orlando but these get in to SJU even later after the ship sails

I agree with you immigration is the big worry usually takes either side of an hour depending on how many international flights arriving together

Took a look at ExpertFlyer and found that those first three flights on the 22nd are all zeroed out in coach. All are now F1Y0, meaning there is one first class seat available for sale and none in coach.

Take down this info:

DL 1573 ATL-IAH 8:00pm 9:53pm

CO 1542 IAH-SJU 11:59pm 6:14am

If you miss your DL flight, see about a reroute through Houston...you would take DL to IAH, then Continental on a red-eye to SJU. Likely the only option on the 21st that is showing availability right now on SkyTeam (which would be DL's preferred reroute).

If not that, there are options on AA on the 22nd through either MIA or DFW. Of course, all depends on the ticket you have -- if it can be endorsed over to AA (or even CO).

As for the connection in ATL. You WILL be required to go through a security screening after customs. Since you had access to your checked baggage, you have to be rescreened to be sure that you didn't take any banned items from your checked baggage to your pockets/carryon. After that, take the train from E concourse to wherever your flight to SJU is parked.

If I am flying from Sacramento to Atlanta to Venice, do you have to get your luggage in Atlanta and go through customs before you board the flight to Venice? Right now, my TA has us on flights and there is only 58 minutes to change planes. Not sure if I am comfortable with that. From reading these posts, I don't think that is enough time. But, I wasn't sure about the customs thing.

Simple rules for customs on TATL:

Going to Europe, you will almost always clear customs at your final destination.

Returning from Europe, you will ALWAYS clear US customs at your first point of arrival into the USA.

So, for SMF-ATL-VCE, your bags will be checked through to VCE, where you will go through EU customs and immigration. You won't have to see them in ATL. The outbound connect at ATL will be like a domestic connection, though you will have to show your passport at the departure gate.

We're on the 12.00 noon from Manchester which arrives at 4.40pm then onto the 6.19pm.

Where did you discover the next day flight timings, I've looked on the Delta site and the first direct flight doesnt come up until 4.30pm arriving SJU 8.56pm, It may be the earlier flights are full.

Ah, yes. <embarrassed> How very London-centric of me. Sorry!

I usually use this tool as a first search for schedules only: http://www.eskyguide.com/search/ But there are other places out there for this, too. The individual airlines' websites, of course, are more likely to be accurate on the occasions when schedule changing leads to some time lag in some databases. Delta's page for schedules is: http://www.delta.com/schedules/travel/reservations/flight_sched/index.jsp

FlyerTalker's really said everything that needs to be said, though. In those circumstances, I wouldn't accept this.

Thank you, FlyerTalker.

So, do you think 58 minutes is enough time between flights?

If you have no problems on your arrival from SMF, 58 minutes is plenty of time to make the physical connect between arrival from SMF and departure to VCE. HOWEVER....if you get any kind of delay on the inbound, you are really pushing it. Also, you might make it by running and your luggage doesn't.

My other question is....when are you travelling? I'm not seeing ATL-VCE flights next year, as DL has their JFK non-stop. Wanted to see what else might be available as an alternative. Please post your dates and I'll see what there is.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but...

My husband and I have both traveled for business and pleasure through Atlanta many times. If all things go well, an hour and 39 minutes should be sufficient. However, lots of luck if your flight is delayed, customs is backed up, luggage transfer is slow, the connecting gate is far away from terminal E, etc. Additionally, what happens if Delta changes its schedule and your transfer time is decreased? When we fly internationally through Atlanta, we always target a 2 hour tranfer period just in case.

As for the folks coming from Sacramento, a 58 minute connection from a domestic flight to an international flight is tight. (I might chance it for a domestic connection but not if I was flying internationally.) It is okay for a Delta connection at Cincinnati but not at Atlanta. I wonder how much experience your travel agent has transferring at Atlanta. Investigate possibly taking an earlier flight.:)

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but...

My husband and I have both traveled for business and pleasure through Atlanta many times. If all things go well, an hour and 39 minutes should be sufficient. However, lots of luck if your flight is delayed, customs is backed up, luggage transfer is slow, the connecting gate is far away from terminal E, etc. Additionally, what happens if Delta changes its schedule and your transfer time is decreased? When we fly internationally through Atlanta, we always target a 2 hour tranfer period just in case.

Thanks for everyones help, DC Delta have changed the schedule already this is whats causing the problem and we're really not happy, normally we wouldn't be too worried but its the lack of fallback opportunities that really gives us concern

We've decided to go & see the TA on Saturday morning and sit while they contact X to try to resolve. We have found an alterrnate route albiet via Amsterdam that would get us into ATL with plenty of time to connect. Whether or not X will buy into this is another question.

We'll let you know what happens

thanks again

My other question is....when are you travelling? I'm not seeing ATL-VCE flights next year, as DL has their JFK non-stop. Wanted to see what else might be available as an alternative. Please post your dates and I'll see what there is.

The itinerary I was given is 5/22/08 Delta 1074 - Sac to Atl, Delta 0180 - Atl to Ven. Return 6/6/08 Delta 0115 - Barcelona to Atl, Delta 0655 - Atl to Sac.

Hopefully that is enough info. Any help is appreciated.:p

We've decided to go & see the TA on Saturday morning and sit while they contact X to try to resolve. We have found an alterrnate route albiet via Amsterdam that would get us into ATL with plenty of time to connect. Whether or not X will buy into this is another question.

Don't wait until Saturday. The department that will need to help you is the air department. They are not open on the weekends. You need to contact them during the week during regular business hours to get your situation taken care of. If you really want to be in on the conversation, call you TA and have her conference call in the air department.

The itinerary I was given is 5/22/08 Delta 1074 - Sac to Atl, Delta 0180 - Atl to Ven. Return 6/6/08 Delta 0115 - Barcelona to Atl, Delta 0655 - Atl to Sac.

For some reason, I wasn't getting the ATL non/stops showing....now I see your itin.

I would look into a different alternative, as you only have one fallback position now. That is an AF connection through CDG that leaves 40 minutes after your DL flight out of ATL. Now, having a fallback is nice, but only one makes it suspect (along with the likelihood that AF will be a full flight).

I would be asking for a change to either the morning non-stop or a connect through SLC. The morning non-stop (DL 1469) would give you over 6 hours at ATL - plenty of cushion :D Personally, I'd be buying a lounge pass for that much time, or taking MARTA and visiting downtown Atlanta. If that much time is too much for your "antsyness factor", there's a connect that actually leaves earlier in the morning, but gets in later in the afternoon (DL 784/808).

So, if you feel comfortable with the 58 minutes, keep it. I would want more time, since I have few options with any delay from SMF. Much depends on the tickets you have and the fees for any changes.

I haven't actually booked these flights. This is what the TA came up with. I already expressed my concern before I had to pay for the tickets. She is checking on other options. She did say there could be an additional fee if you stay more than 4 hours (then they consider it a layover). Haven't heard what else she has found. I don't mind waiting at an airport. I can shop, drink, read. I have plenty of patience to wait. What I don't have are strong nerves when I start having an anxiety attack if I am late. Thanks for all your help. Any tips are appreciated. Never have traveled outside the US before.

I haven't actually booked these flights. This is what the TA came up with. I already expressed my concern before I had to pay for the tickets. She is checking on other options. She did say there could be an additional fee if you stay more than 4 hours (then they consider it a layover). Haven't heard what else she has found. I don't mind waiting at an airport. I can shop, drink, read. I have plenty of patience to wait. What I don't have are strong nerves when I start having an anxiety attack if I am late. Thanks for all your help. Any tips are appreciated. Never have traveled outside the US before.

Your TA doesn't have all the info. IF you are on an international itinerary, you have 24 hours OR your first flight out (whichever is longer) for a connection. So the 6 hours in ATL is perfectly legal. DL's computer will often try to put you on the shortest legal connection but you can take any of those other options. Is your TA a "cruise agency"? They often have very rudimentary knowledge of air travel - witness the 4 hour comment. Let me look up some options for you.

IrisTattoo -- Options for your outbound:

One-stop via ATL:

DL 1469 6:30am 1:53pm 757 SMF-ATL OR

DL 1074 11:50am 7:42pm 767 SMF-ATL

Two-stop via ATL:

DL 784 6:10am 8:44am 757 SMF-SLC connecting to either

DL 808 9:50am 3:28pm 767 SLC-ATL OR

DL 1548 11:20am 4:59pm 757 SLC-ATL

All of these options connect to:

DL 180 8:10pm 11:45am 767 ATL-VCE

You can also route through JFK:

DL 784 6:10am 8:44am 757 SMF-SLC

DL 118 10:05am 4:57pm 757 SLC-JFK

DL 150 7:10pm 9:40am 767 JFK-VCE

The advantage of the JFK routing is that you have a shorter international flight, you depart sooner in the evening and you arrive in VCE earlier in the day. The disadvantage is that you go through JFK, which can be a busy place in the early evening.

On the return, the best option looks to be via ATL:

DL 115 1:05pm 5:15pm 767 BCN-ATL connecting to either

DL 655 6:50pm 9:05pm 738 ATL-SMF OR

DL 1079 8:45pm 11:02pm 757 ATL-SMF

The later flight gives you more time for customs/immigration at ATL and time to have dinner on the return in ATL. You can do sit-down at Chili's, which can be a nice change from fast-food and rushing to flights.

All these options look to be pricing around $1554 all-in. I did not check dates on either side of your current plans.

Hope this helps out. Remember....if you aren't getting the right answers from your TA, you don't have to book your air through them. You can easily get these flights direct from DL on their website.

Thank you flyer for taking the time to research. :) I am now booked on the 6:30am Sac to Atl, then the 8:10pm Atl to Ven. On the return, we missed out on the original return flight (cost just went up) so we are on the 1:05 pm Ven to Atl, then the 8:45pm Atl to Sac flight. And, you are right, we can sit and have a nice dinner before flying home. Looks like my flights are all dialed in.

Now, the hotel she found is the Hotel Palace Barcelona. Anyone have comments on that?:p

• 2 weeks later...

As promised here is the update on our visit to the TA

We explained to the TA once again that we thought the transfer time in ATL was much too tight for comfort at 1 hour 39mins, after arriving on an international flight, clearing immigration, baggage reclaim, customs, transferring to another terminal, security screening and making the depature gate 20 mins before departure, this time the TA (a different person agreed) and promptly called celebrity air.

We had gone armed with information on every conceivable alternative flight that we could find. The TA conferenced us in with X air, but every alternative we suggested had the same answer, ''Celebrity are not allowed to use that flight'' and wouldn't budge so we are stuck with the original.

Celebrity gave us an undertaking that as we had booked air as part of our package it was their responsibility to get us to the ship, however, when we asked if that was a guarantee because all other flights to San Juan from Atlanta either direct or via numerous other airports appear booked up, and the fact it was the Christmas period, all they could say was, yes its a guarantee but you may have to join the ship at one of the ports of call.

The problem with this is there is only one port of call (St Thomas) before the ship spends 2 days at sea, Christmas eve & Christmas day.

We have made our final payment, and it looks like we'll have to go with the flow, DW is worried that if we stir things up too much, Celebrity may decide to cancel our booking which we've been looking forward too since July '06

Thanks everyone for all your help, any other suggestions would be welcome.

Al

Archived