Flight Transfers to ship - British Airways

si_boy

With all the problems with British Airways this weekend and cancelled or delayed flights can't help but think what if...

We are joining Queen Victoria at Athens in September and will be taking a Cunard chartered British Airways flight from Heathrow to Athens.

The ship would or could not wait for the flight, so we would presumably join at another port, if that was possible once the flights were back up and running. Logistically this would be a nightmare as we would not want to fly to Athens as the ship will have left.

Has this happened to anyone and how did it get resolved?

Am not worrying as am sure all the problems from the weekend will be resolved, so idle thinking really.

Hasn't happened to us, however, like you, that crossed my thoughts too. We always fly in the day before, but in BA's case over the weekend, even this wouldn't help.

Awful situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Alohaaloha

Without wishing to sound glib, if you're on a Cunard charter flight and the air carrier messes up it's up to them to find a solution, not you. It would be very surprising if any company which charters BA flights (or anyone else for that matter) is not doing some serious extra disaster planning at the moment.

Without wishing to sound glib, if you're on a Cunard charter flight and the air carrier messes up it's up to them to find a solution, not you. It would be very surprising if any company which charters BA flights (or anyone else for that matter) is not doing some serious extra disaster planning at the moment.

Just my thought. You would be in the care of Cunard and it would be up to Cunard to sort it out. Wouldn't mean that it would be stress free for passengers though.

David

I returned home yesterday evening having been caught up in the recent British Airways problem.

At the risk of upsetting some perennial BA knockers perhaps I can put some minds at rest as to BA actually getting some things right.

My wife and I were due to fly home from Santorini the day the IT problem broke. Our flight was due to take off at 17.55 and we duly arrived at the airport ready to check in, 2 hours ahead of flight, when it was announced that our outbound flight from Heathrow had not taken off and indeed had been cancelled.

Within minutes BA's agents in Santorini had swung into action, kept us informed with 20 minute updates while organising transfer transport and hotel accommodation, while also explaining options available for those who wished to make alternative arrangements.

Within 35 minutes of what should have been our scheduled departure time, my wife and I had been transferred and checked into an hotel and were allocated a local restaurant for evening meals at no charge.

The following day on checking my BA App I could see we had been allocated a flight for Wednesday. As we had been assured by the hotel that BA was paying the bill we settled down to a 4 night extension in the resort of Kamari.

Yesterday we were, again without charge, transferred back to the airport and arrived at Heathrow 5 minutes ahead of schedule.

Well done BA. I also understand that we are due €400.00 each as 'compensation under EU regulations.

While I realise not all passengers may have experienced a smoother cancellation, BA certainly got it right for us...

34641991440_b3d46fe5f5_z.jpg

So well done British Airways from Solent Richard.

Just my thought. You would be in the care of Cunard and it would be up to Cunard to sort it out. Wouldn't mean that it would be stress free for passengers though.

David

Surely when on the flight BA are acting as Cunard's agents?

I returned home yesterday evening having been caught up in the recent British Airways problem.

At the risk of upsetting some perennial BA knockers perhaps I can put some minds at rest as to BA actually getting some things right.

My wife and I were due to fly home from Santorini the day the IT problem broke. Our flight was due to take off at 17.55 and we duly arrived at the airport ready to check in, 2 hours ahead of flight, when it was announced that our outbound flight from Heathrow had not taken off and indeed had been cancelled.

Within minutes BA's agents in Santorini had swung into action, kept us informed with 20 minute updates while organising transfer transport and hotel accommodation, while also explaining options available for those who wished to make alternative arrangements.

Within 35 minutes of what should have been our scheduled departure time, my wife and I had been transferred and checked into an hotel and were allocated a local restaurant for evening meals at no charge.

The following day on checking my BA App I could see we had been allocated a flight for Wednesday. As we had been assured by the hotel that BA was paying the bill we settled down to a 4 night extension in the resort of Kamari.

Yesterday we were, again without charge, transferred back to the airport and arrived at Heathrow 5 minutes ahead of schedule.

Well done BA. I also understand that we are due €400.00 each as 'compensation under EU regulations.

While I realise not all passengers may have experienced a smoother cancellation, BA certainly got it right for us...

Glad it worked for you - I suspect there were only a few hundred affected on your flight compared to the tens of thousands in London which is what made it so difficult for them to sort out - physically not enough hotels in the vicinity to accommodate everyone.

Glad it worked for you - I suspect there were only a few hundred affected on your flight compared to the tens of thousands in London which is what made it so difficult for them to sort out - physically not enough hotels in the vicinity to accommodate everyone.

Hi there.

I would hazard a guess that that is why BA advised those UK passengers that were starting their journey to return home and await the developing situation.

Solent Richard, I am so relieved all worked out well. As someone who worked for British Airways for 42 years, 39 of them in the air as cabin crew, I have been distraught at the news at the weekend. I am so glad that they got something right. I am so sad the way that BA is going at the moment.