Best sunset dinner on the way to Key West???

jcacruiser

So we've decided (at long last) to make the drive from FLL to Key West prior to our upcoming cruise. We've been to Key West via ship several times, but never made the drive. Yes, it's time to tick off another bucket list item and drive that bridge! We'll arrive in FLL at 3:00 pm on a Friday, rent a car and begin the trek. I've read all of the posts about how long it takes, traffic and such, but it looks like it will take approx. 4 hours. We plan on spending one night in Key West and then one night in Fort Lauderdale pre-cruise. Question is, where to have a memorable sunset dinner along the way? Suggestions? Thanks!

Island Fish Company in Marathon is about 3 hrs from FLL, which would get you there before sunset in the summer. Loralei in Islamorada is about 2 1/2 hrs from FLL, so you might get there a little too early.

Wherever you go,make sure that you take the turnpike as far south as you can, or you will get stuck in an extra hour of traffic on US1 at the end of I-95.

So we've decided (at long last) to make the drive from FLL to Key West prior to our upcoming cruise. We've been to Key West via ship several times, but never made the drive. Yes, it's time to tick off another bucket list item and drive that bridge! We'll arrive in FLL at 3:00 pm on a Friday, rent a car and begin the trek. I've read all of the posts about how long it takes, traffic and such, but it looks like it will take approx. 4 hours. We plan on spending one night in Key West and then one night in Fort Lauderdale pre-cruise. Question is, where to have a memorable sunset dinner along the way? Suggestions? Thanks!

I'm not sure about your timing and the early sunsets in November, but one of the best views in the Keys is Bayside Grille in Key Largo.

http://www.keylargo-baysidegrill.com/

http://key-largo-restaurants.com/

We are going on the Panama Canal cruise Legend in March. 3 couples we decided to do the same thing. We fly to Miami rent car and head south. Started with one night. Then two nights now we have rented a cute lil house near Key Largo we will be there five night. I'm so excited .

One night in FLL prior to the cruise

We will rent a car at Miami airport and drop off in FLL

We are going on the Panama Canal cruise Legend in March. 3 couples we decided to do the same thing. We fly to Miami rent car and head south. Started with one night. Then two nights now we have rented a cute lil house near Key Largo we will be there five night. I'm so excited .

I guess you know that Key Largo is closer to Miami than to Key West.

I'm not sure about your timing and the early sunsets in November, but one of the best views in the Keys is Bayside Grille in Key Largo.

http://www.keylargo-baysidegrill.com/

http://key-largo-restaurants.com/

thank you so much! Bayside Grill looks amazing! If we don't stop there on the way to Key West, we will definitely stop on the way back. I understand the African Queen is also in Key Largo, so want to see that too.... so much to see.... so little time!

What a fab idea! Why didn't I think of that, lol

Island Fish Company in Marathon is about 3 hrs from FLL, which would get you there before sunset in the summer. Loralei in Islamorada is about 2 1/2 hrs from FLL, so you might get there a little too early.

Wherever you go,make sure that you take the turnpike as far south as you can, or you will get stuck in an extra hour of traffic on US1 at the end of I-95.

Thanks so much! So the Island Fish Company (http://www.islandfishco.com/) has "the longest tiki bar in the keys...." now that's a definite contender, lol! Now I'm thinking we'll make MANY stops on the way to Key West :)

So, it's best to take the turnpike south of FLL until it ends just south of Homestead? Guess it's best (traffic wise) to avoid Miami alltogether? I do have great appreciation for toll roads!

So, it's best to take the turnpike south of FLL until it ends just south of Homestead? Guess it's best (traffic wise) to avoid Miami alltogether? I do have great appreciation for toll roads!

From FLL airport you have to go west on I595 to the turnpike. Then go south all the way until the turnpike ends on US1 by Florida City. US1 takes you south all the way through the keys. On the way back be sure to do the same. US1 between the South Miami and Homestead area is awful!

From FLL airport you have to go west on I595 to the turnpike. Then go south all the way until the turnpike ends on US1 by Florida City. US1 takes you south all the way through the keys. On the way back be sure to do the same. US1 between the South Miami and Homestead area is awful!

Actually I-595 west to I-75 south then take the turnpike south off of I-75.

Actually I-595 west to I-75 south then take the turnpike south off of I-75.
Brunello, What is the advantage of taking I-75 to the turnpike if you are coming from the airport? I live and work in Fort Lauderdale, so I'm not very familiar with I-75. I-595 is a mess right now, so I think I would prefer to get off on the turnpike instead of going all the way to I-75 when I head to Key West in a few weeks, but I'd love to hear your reason.

Also, I forgot to mention that if you take the turnpike south from I-595 that there is a turnpike extention exit you have to take off the turnpike after Hollywood to continue south on the turnpike. I think it says Homestead/south.

Brunello, What is the advantage of taking I-75 to the turnpike if you are coming from the airport? I live and work in Fort Lauderdale, so I'm not very familiar with I-75. I-595 is a mess right now, so I think I would prefer to get off on the turnpike instead of going all the way to I-75 when I head to Key West in a few weeks, but I'd love to hear your reason.

Also, I forgot to mention that if you take the turnpike south from I-595 that there is a turnpike extention exit you have to take off the turnpike after Hollywood to continue south on the turnpike. I think it says Homestead/south.

Your route is also correct, and I actually forgot that there is a Turnpike exit off 595. I usually take 595 all the way west to 75 south, then take the Turnpike extension exit off 75, which is right around Miramar. I think the sign says Homestead/Key West. I've traveled both ways and it takes about the same amount of time. Yeah, can't wait for the 595 mess to be over with!

Your route is also correct, and I actually forgot that there is a Turnpike exit off 595. I usually take 595 all the way west to 75 south, then take the Turnpike extension exit off 75, which is right around Miramar. I think the sign says Homestead/Key West. I've traveled both ways and it takes about the same amount of time. Yeah, can't wait for the 595 mess to be over with!

My route is about 2-3 miles shorter but costs about a dollar more in tolls that your way bypasses....there is no toll getting onto the turnpike from I-595 but there is a toll in Miramar that you get to bypass. Coming from east Broward it just feels counter-intuitive to go out to Westin to get south. :D

Archived