Cruise Day Points for Solo Travel

evandbob

When I 1st started cruising, I sailed solo several times and paid the 200% supplement for the absent person in my cabin. Should I have been given credit for 14 cruise day points instead of the 7 that I received?

I now have 137 points towards Diamond status, and could go to 172 if 5 of my solo 7 day cruises that I paid double for would be counted.

What do you think?

You get points for the days sailed period not for the money spent.

I have sailed as a solo on Carnival, NCL and Royal Caribbean. Only Royal Caribbean gives double points for solos. They do it all the time, not just as a promotion. Royal gives double points for people in suites. Royal and NCL don't charge double deposits for solos either. I wish Carnival would go back to single deposits for solos.

In fact, on Royal, if you sail solo in a suite, you get 3 points for every day: 1 for sailing, 1 extra for paying the 200%, and 1 extra that they give to everyone who sails in suites.

While I understand the one-point-for-eveyone-no-matter-what, I still think Carnival is being stingy about this - the perks for getting to Platinum (which I am) are not expensive for Carnival and for the most part are insignificant to the passenger except perhaps for the free laundry...after all, anyone who wants to shell out 50 bucks can get priority boarding through FTTF, even if they've never been closer to the ocean than their own bathtub. It wouldn't cost Carnival much of anything to give double points to solos, but it would be a good way to build up some good will and oh my goodness encourage more people to be repeat (and more frequent) passengers.

Ok as I posted earlier points go by days sailed and not priced paid. And here is why and why it is fair. For the cruise we are booked on March of 2016, A solo cruiser staying in a inside cabin with upper and lower is paying $1567.99, we are paying $1343.49/ person for our balcony, and a couple in a Grand suite is paying $3496.97/ person. Now would it be fair for the solo cruiser to be getting 16 points while my I get 8 while paying only $224.48 less. Or for the couple staying in the Grand Suite to get 8 each while paying $1989 mnore a person?

Ok as I posted earlier points go by days sailed and not priced paid. And here is why and why it is fair. For the cruise we are booked on March of 2016, A solo cruiser staying in a inside cabin with upper and lower is paying $1567.99, we are paying $1343.49/ person for our balcony, and a couple in a Grand suite is paying $3496.97/ person. Now would it be fair for the solo cruiser to be getting 16 points while my I get 8 while paying only $224.48 less. Or for the couple staying in the Grand Suite to get 8 each while paying $1989 mnore a person?

But if there were two people in the upper lower cabin. Each would get 8 points nd the price for both would be basically the same. Is that fair? Also it would be the same for any category of cabin. The solo cruiser pays basically the same as if two people were in the cabins.

Not following you. By your reasoning, the couple in the grand suite should get more cruies points than you do, and on Royal they would get them. You and your wife are getting 16 points between you for your cabin. The upper/lower cabin would net 16 points total if two passengers were sailing in it, and the grand suite would too...and I would have no issue with giving a bonus to the suite pax. I think it's perfectly fair to give points based on the cabin, whatever the cost, rather than the number of passengers sailing in it.

I am on the side of all of you!!! I have done six solo cruises and I truly wish Carnival would give double credit for those solo sailings, I would have an additional 41 days and be around the 140 days mark to get me to Diamond....

Perhaps the new CEO of Carnival will correct that if we speak up

My last 3 cruises have been solo. Might be a good idea if the solo travelers started sending letters to the CEO and expressing that concern of getting double days since we are paying double fare. They might consider it since they don't give us anything else for it.

Solo cruisers don’t pay for two people they just pay extra for being solo.

Yes and No . . . but definitely not an entirely true statement.

There is some 'fuzzy math' that goes on regarding the coverage of lower berth numbers, which means more than just adding a supplement to the one individual.

Yes and No . . . but definitely not an entirely true statement.

There is some 'fuzzy math' that goes on regarding the coverage of lower berth numbers, which means more than just adding a supplement to the one individual.

The last cruise i went on i took my parents. There stateroom next to mine same category was only $50 dollars then mine by myself.

This whole conversation is very thought provoking. It does seem sad that Carnival treats its solo cruisers as second class passengers. Double fares, double deposits, yet half the onboard credit, half the cruise day credits.........

With more single adults than married couples in the U.S. now, you'd think they would rethink their treatment of solo passengers.