Heathrow-Windsor-Stonehenge then Southampton?

We are scheduled to arrive into Heathrow at 12:20 PM the day before our cruise leaves. We are coming in on a nonstop flight from Los Angeles. Would we have time and would it make sense to rent a car and drive to Windsor Castle that afternoon? On the next day we would then go to Stonehenge then drop car off at the Southampton Airport and take a cab to cruise ship. We’d stay the night in Windsor or on the way to Stonehenge. Not sure about tine needed to get through all steps needed to get to a point we can pick up the car. Sure to feel rummy after the flight but hate to go to bed till at least 8pm. Does this make sense or would just going to a Heathrow hotel and go to Stonehenge the next day on a shuttle? I’ve never driven in England so that also a bit of a concern. Thanks for your thought?

Edited by california mike

I wouldn't hire a car, I would take a taxi to a Windsor Hotel, although finding a good centrally located one for under £200 is difficult.

You can check in and walk up to the Castle which is very impressive. There is an excellent audio guide that tells you what you are looking at. A nice dinner and an early night, followed by a car to Southampton via Stonehenge in the morning after a leisurely breakfast.

You can, we did something similar renting a car and going to Bath for two days then on to Stonehenge and Salisbury Cathedral the day of the cruise dropping the car off at the airport. I do remember having a time trying to figure out where to drop the car. The part of your plan that I don't like is trying to see Winsor the day you land. You will be beat. I would suggest taking the first day to recover.

You can, we did something similar renting a car and going to Bath for two days then on to Stonehenge and Salisbury Cathedral the day of the cruise dropping the car off at the airport. I do remember having a time trying to figure out where to drop the car. The part of your plan that I don't like is trying to see Winsor the day you land. You will be beat. I would suggest taking the first day to recover.

Since they only arrive the day before the cruise, that's not too practical.

Mike - A 1220 arrival time means that you could be in Windsor by 1400 easily. Check into your hotel and head for the castle for 1500. (Last admissions are 1600 but that leaves little time to explore).

You should note that castle is a Royal residence so not everything is open every day. https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/visit/windsorcastle/plan-your-visit

If you are debating between renting a car to drive around, versus hiring a car or taking a coach, check out the travelogue from our trip in 2014 where we rented a car and drove from London to Stonehenge to Southampton. My husband had some caveats on who should try to drive in the UK.

http://72hourstogo.blogspot.com/2014/08/british-isles-day-4-stonehenge.html

There are some good options through the ship excursions if you want to stay in London when you first arrive, and then be picked up by coach and stop in Windsor on the way to the port for embarkation. We did that after disembarkation at the end of the trip and it worked really well.

You may not find renting a car sufficiently economical versus other options.

And whilst driving the English countryside is a great way to meander when you have time for a proper road trip you'll find driving your planned route a little complicated on the navigation (including parking at Windsor), heavy with traffic around Heathrow & Windsor, and the quick & simple route Windsor to Stonehenge to Southampton mainly boring freeway. Add to that driving multi-lane roads when jet-lagged and a deadline to be at the cruise port after dropping off the car and IMHO any savings by renting a car just won't be worthwhile.

(BTW you mention Southampton airport, so I'll hazard a guess that you're talking Avis. The airport is 8 miles from the cruise terminals, a 20 minute / £20 taxi ride. Plenty of other rental agencies are close to the cruise terminals, a 5 minute / £5 taxi ride.)

For Heathrow to Windsor, if you get quotes from Windsor-based rather than Heathrow-based operators a taxi will cost £30 or less.

Try

http://www.windsorcars.com/

or

http://www.5starwindsor.com/

Then for Windsor to Southampton via Stonehenge get quotes from

http://www.smithsforairports.com

or

http://www.westquaycars.com

or

http://www.aquacars.com

A direct transfer should be under £100, via Stonehenge I'm guessing would be around £130 to £150

Or book a Heathrow hotel, get your taxi to stop there to drop your luggage before continuing to Windsor. Then taxi back from Windsor to your Heathrow hotel & join the Cruise Bus next morning https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_london_transfers.htm for a transfer from hotel to ship via a stop of 90 minutes (which is plenty) at Stonehenge.

Priority at Stonehenge is given to pre-purchased timed tickets. You don't want to risk turning up ticket-less & finding you have to wait.

Pre-purchase admission tickets if you travel by rental car or private transfer.

Tiimed admission tickets are included with Cruise Bus tickets.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

You can get a train from Heathrow to Windsor which is not too expensive, but I don't know how much luggage you have

Hi Kerry,

Sadly it's not that simple.

Even though it's no further than about 7 miles there's no direct train route from Heathrow - needs two changes of train or a combination of bus & train, no fun with luggage. :(

good advise --I looked into taking a cab from Heathrow with 2 hour stop at Windsor and return to Heathrow hotel I was quoted 200 pounds. Seems too expensive. Will see what Windsor based transportation will charge.

Around £25 each way. :)

And stay as long as you like in Windsor, because you're not paying for the car's waiting time which accounts for at least some of that excessive £200 quote.

But that assumes travel from your Heathrow hotel & that your luggage stays at the hotel.

If it's a pick-up from a Heathrow arrival it'll cost more for parking/waiting at the terminal & stopping at the hotel to off-load luggage. But it won't cost anything like £150 more :)

Or you can stash luggage at the terminal left-luggage, though depending on the hotel location I doubt any saving is worth the grief.

good advise --I looked into taking a cab from Heathrow with 2 hour stop at Windsor and return to Heathrow hotel I was quoted 200 pounds. Seems too expensive. Will see what Windsor based transportation will charge.

Ca Mike, great info from Bob++ and JB. Also have a 'butchers' at Windsor-information.co.uk for Heathrow to Windsor transportation advice. Have fun...

Good I now have a firm but flexible plan. Once we get to Heathrow hotel If we have time and feel up to it will call Windsor cab to go to Castle and back.

The next day we will take shuttle that stops at Stonehenge on the way to cruise ship. That should work fine and not be overly expensive and provides flexibility.

Thanks to all that contributed info!

Edited by california mike

Since they only arrive the day before the cruise, that's not too practical.

Just sharing an experience. My point was they are trying to do too much. Hopefully by comparing to our experience they may realize that. Sorry if you missed that.

Edited by KirkNC