Clearing custom in Newfoundland

monkey@cruise

Hello,

For those whose had been on a transatlantic cruise and arrive in St. John's Newfoundland, did you have to line up to clear the Canadian custom? Or can you just go on shore when the ship arrive? We want to see St. John's as much as possible and wondering how much time we will lose due to clearing custom in St. John's. Thank you.

So are you saying that St. John's is NOT your final port, just a port of call? You won't have to go through any customs if it's just one of the stops on your cruise.

Are you sure about that? If you stop at a US port (even if it's just a stop) you have to see the customs guy.

We were in the South Pacific this past year and stopped in Hilo, there were US customs guys checking passports before we could get off the ship. this was for both citizens and non-citizens.

Are you sure about that? If you stop at a US port (even if it's just a stop) you have to see the customs guy.

We were in the South Pacific this past year and stopped in Hilo, there were US customs guys checking passports before we could get off the ship. this was for both citizens and non-citizens.

That must have been some U.S. immigration (not customs) thing going on. This would be the equivalent of every Alaska cruise that makes a stop in Victoria making all passengers go through Canadian customs & immigration before going into port - that just doesn't happen.

I was on a transatlantic from Copenhagen to NYC, and we missed a couple of ports due to weather. So halfway through the cruise, the captain added St. John's and Saint John NB ports to compensate. Maybe if there were people on the ship that would have otherwise required visas for Canada, they had to go through extra steps to get off the ship, I don't know. But we just went to shore like in any other port, when they just scan your card and off you go.

I was on a transatlantic from Copenhagen to NYC, and we missed a couple of ports due to weather. So halfway through the cruise, the captain added St. John's and Saint John NB ports to compensate. Maybe if there were people on the ship that would have otherwise required visas for Canada, they had to go through extra steps to get off the ship, I don't know. But we just went to shore like in any other port, when they just scan your card and off you go.

Are you saying you did not need to fill in the customs & immigration form before docking in a Canadian port?

Hello,

For those whose had been on a transatlantic cruise and arrive in St. John's Newfoundland, did you have to line up to clear the Canadian custom? Or can you just go on shore when the ship arrive? We want to see St. John's as much as possible and wondering how much time we will lose due to clearing custom in St. John's. Thank you.

We stopped in Sydney NS next port was St Pierre (French territory) next port was St John's NL & forms had to be handed in before arriving

I cannot say whether pax were processed at the port because we had to debark in Sydney for medical reasons.

Are you saying you did not need to fill in the customs & immigration form before docking in a Canadian port?

No, I did not. Just like I didn't need to fill in a customs & immigration form for 5 other countries we visited on that crossing. The only required paperwork was for disembarking in NYC.

No, I did not. Just like I didn't need to fill in a customs & immigration form for 5 other countries we visited on that crossing. The only required paperwork was for disembarking in NYC.

Thanks

Thanks for responding, everyone! Our transatlantic cruise is from London to New York with a couple of stops at St. John's Newfoundland and Halifax. I know that on the Canada New England cruise from NY to Quebec city, the customs were cleared at the first Canadian city. Sounds like the passengers have an easier time with Canadian cities on transatlantic crossings. :)

Thanks for responding, everyone! Our transatlantic cruise is from London to New York with a couple of stops at St. John's Newfoundland and Halifax. I know that on the Canada New England cruise from NY to Quebec city, the customs were cleared at the first Canadian city. Sounds like the passengers have an easier time with Canadian cities on transatlantic crossings. :)

I would think you would need to clear Customs/immigration as you are re entering Canada

I wonder how that works with your exemptions?

Do you get to claim twice once arriving in St John's then when you arrive home from NYC?

Just curious

Was that from the South Pacific to US? If it was, that might have been you have to clear immigration/custom at the first U.S. Port and not necessary wait until you arrive mainland. Just my thought...

I would think you would need to clear Customs/immigration as you are re entering Canada

I wonder how that works with your exemptions?

Do you get to claim twice once arriving in St John's then when you arrive home from NYC?

Just curious

From what I'm hearing so far, there is no Canadian custom/immigration forms to deal for the Canadian ports, therefore just claim exemptions when we go through Toronto when we get home.

From what I'm hearing so far, there is no Canadian custom/immigration forms to deal for the Canadian ports, therefore just claim exemptions when we go through Toronto when we get home.

Can you post back after the cruise & let us know what happened

Like I say we left the ship before we left Canada but we did have the exemption form to fill in after stopping in St Pierre

Lyn

Can you post back after the cruise & let us know what happened

Like I say we left the ship before we left Canada but we did have the exemption form to fill in after stopping in St Pierre

Lyn

Sure, our cruise is not until September, will post afterward.

Sure, our cruise is not until September, will post afterward.

Thanks it will be good to know for future reference

I got an email from people still on the ship & they said no line up when they got to St John's

but then the route was Sydney > St pierre > St John's > Belfast

She did say they had a F2F with UK officials on the first sea day ...the officials got on in St John's