Why I Should Or Shouldn't Choose "Almaplena" Beach Resort

ajtraveler66

Mitsugirly, we defiantly will check out the other resort.

I booked as well under your recommendation. There was plenty of greenery but allot of trash also.

I agree that the storm brought the seagrass in, but it was disappointing that they made no effort to remove any of it.

It did not help that the next day was Little French Key and that was everything that you want an excursion to be.

I think that if Almaplena cleaned up the trash, repaired the chairs, upped the customer service and lowered the price a little they could grow the buisness very quickly.

You just can't charge for top of the line when it is not.

I totally agree with cleaning the place up once that happens. But who knows what type of staff they have now. I know when we went it was just them (and she had just had a baby) and the person that took the orders, did the drinks and cooked. It sounds like they haven't increased the staff yet. :cool:

That really sucks. The place was so simple and beautiful last time we were there I had only hoped that it had only gotten better with time since they were new and just learning the ropes. :(

I guess it fits some and not others. :)

It's interesting that others said the water/seaweed were very bad.........we were there the very same week and the beach and water could not have been more beautiful. We did have to go to the bar for drinks and food, but so what. The food they brought us was very good and very plentiful; who could sit on that porch with that view and complain about the food even if it was mediocre?

And who knows if the owners are even interested in beefing up their cruise passenger business? They may have more interest in cultivating their hotel business.

It's interesting that others said the water/seaweed were very bad.........we were there the very same week and the beach and water could not have been more beautiful. We did have to go to the bar for drinks and food, but so what. The food they brought us was very good and very plentiful; who could sit on that porch with that view and complain about the food even if it was mediocre?

And who knows if the owners are even interested in beefing up their cruise passenger business? They may have more interest in cultivating their hotel business.

Glad to hear a good review of the place still and people enjoying it. I personally know that weather conditions definitely dictate what the beach and water looks like. That's just something that can't be controlled...unless your name is "Mother Nature". :D

When we were there they brought us our first few drinks down to the beach area and if we needed any in between, we would simply go up to the bar and ask (I usually needed a potty break so would swing by the bar to get another on my way back down...no need for them to come all the way down there if I'm up that way). They did bring us snacks (and they were absolutely yummy and I could have just had those all day and been satisfied with it) down to the beach (without asking if we wanted anything). They also came down to ask what we wanted for lunch and what time we would like to be served. We did have to go up to the dining area to eat, but we didn't have a problem with that at all. Like you said, it was a beautiful view for sure. :)

It's interesting that others said the water/seaweed were very bad.........we were there the very same week and the beach and water could not have been more beautiful.

Were you there Jan. 30? I'm guessing not. You seem to suggest that since others were displeased during the same week you were pleased, there must be something wrong with these other people.

On Jan. 30, the water was ugly and brown and stormy. That's not the resort owner's fault, but it's true and affected our day. I find it hard to believe that the beach was nice and clean at any time that week. But if you say it was, I'm not going to accuse you of lying.

On Jan. 30, it was not only choked with sea grass but if you walked up or down the beach at all, you saw Clorox bottles and six-pack rings and plastic waste of all kinds. It was an ugly sight, and I would never go back, certainly not at $64 a day per person.

Jim

Edited by jasbo49

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from a week on Carnival Dream right after Mardi Gras.

I spent the day on Feb 18 in the Almaplena Resort with my wife and 4 kids (18 to 24).

It is true the ride is 20 minutes on an empty street from outside the cruise terminal, but it is not a big deal if you know to expect it.

The same cab will take you back at your requested time.

The resort is beautiful and serene, amazing what Monica and Andreas built in 3 years. We had plenty of chairs and shades to relax on, it was so nice not having anybody bother you on the beach. The sand is so soft, I think Half Moon Cay was the only other beach with that soft sand. We saw some sea grass on the beach, but not a lot. It is nature.

I went for an hour walk on the beach with my daughter, I was just telling her how people discard plastics and it all get washed up on shores around the world. They did a good job keeping their beach clean, it is not reasonable to expect them to clean miles of beach.

We met a few people that rented houses on the beach, they all love the soft sand, the clean water and how peaceful the beach is.

Service was good when we were there, they were missing one of their waiter, but Monica moved around a lot offering us drinks and snacks.

The guacamole and chips was a hit, we had to get seconds.

The bar window is open on the way to the washroom, so it was convenient to discharge and refill if they don't come fast enough for you.

Lunch was served at the time we requested. It was fresh and plenty full, amazing to get tender beef in Mexico.

For the six of us after more chips and guacamole, they serve 12 chicken tacos and 8 beef tacos. We were full when Andreas brought the shrimp tacos as well.

The kids had all their frozen drinks, so they were happy.

It is quite a swim to get to the reef, bring life vest if you plan to snorkel unless you are a strong swimmer.

We had a very nice day at Almaplena, it is a more expensive beach break than others but we really like the serenity of the place.

We went to Nachi Cocom in Conzumel last year, I like Almaplena better.

I am very impressed to see a young family capable of building this resort from a bare land. Good job Monica and Andreas, I hope more people will appreciate your slice of heaven.

Alto & Josie

Nice to hear you had a wonderful day cruise addict. It sounds like if there were any problems with the sea grass on the beach and plastic in the water, it has been resolved. I know this can happen just about anywhere. This is the ocean and things do wash up. Their little space there isn't really huge (compared to other places I have been to) and like you said, they are only responsible for cleaning up their own area and not the surrounding beach areas. The last time I was there, there really wasn't anything beside there so I can imagine it would sometimes get "icky" with no owners there to clean up. However, you are paying for "your" beach spot there at Almaplena and not for the surrounding area.

Monica is just lovely and so nice. I definitely liked it better there than Nachi cocom as well. Such a different vibe and surrounding.

You mentioned the swim out to the reef. Does this mean that you went? Do you have any pictures to share?

Two things we forgot to bring with us, life vest and the waterproof camera (left at the ship) My two oldest went to the first set of reefs, but my wife wont let them go further without the life vest. They told me they saw a lot of fish there, but not much corals yet.

The water was so clear, I would suspect it would be good. I saw a group of snorkelers on the main reef, they were there for at least an hour. We were sad not being able to do that!

Two things we forgot to bring with us, life vest and the waterproof camera (left at the ship) My two oldest went to the first set of reefs, but my wife wont let them go further without the life vest. They told me they saw a lot of fish there, but not much corals yet.

The water was so clear, I would suspect it would be good. I saw a group of snorkelers on the main reef, they were there for at least an hour. We were sad not being able to do that!

Yea, I had some snorkel issues and had my little one with me at the same time so I didn't make it out there and I get nervous if I go alone for some reason. My husband kept going and did make it and said there was plenty of fish and coral. Another family that was on the ship with us went out there several times and said it was great. They even seen dolphins out there when they first got there.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick comment on our visit, March 4, 2015:

GO: If you want a very quiet day on a beautiful beach with very little to distract you.

DON'T GO: If you are adverse to doing a port on your own, expect to have your drink refilled the moment it is empty, and really enjoy being elbow to elbow with strangers.

That may sound snarky, so I apologize if you are offended.

The details:

Taxi Ride: This would be an E ticket if they still existed. I personally enjoyed flying down an overgrown road at 120 kph (75 mph).

Check In: We had a minor snag in that I had not verified they had received our PayPal deposit so we were not on their list, I should have followed up with an e-mail, but this was quickly taken care of and we were soon seated under a palapa on the beach.

Beach: The sand is soft and not hot, the palm trees and other vegetation are showing signs that this place will only get better in the years to come, the palapas are just big enough to squeeze most of two lounge chairs under if you want out of the sun, and the lounge chairs were comfortable.

Seaweed: This was mentioned in previous posts and was present that day. Being from California when you say seaweed I think "kelp". This stuff isn't that bad. They cleaned it up the best they could around mid day once the tide started going out. You did have to wade until about waist deep before you kept bumping into it in the water. Hey, it's nature, experience it.

Snorkeling: There was a strong breeze that day which made for excellent laying about but created a bit too much wave action so we didn't even try swimming out to see if it was any good or not. The water temperature was perfect.

Service: One of the employees would make rounds about once an hour or so. Like others posted, you could stop at the "bar" on the way back from the rest room if you needed a refill.

Food: We weren't offered a choice, just a time, but it was good taqueria fare. Chips & guacamole, chicken, beef, & shrimp tacos. The covered porch area is an idealistic setting for enjoying the meal.

Massage: Since they didn't have our reservation, they had to quickly arrange for this. I gather he was not their regular masseuse, but if you like a really deep tissue massage it was great. The setting was the best part. We don't do this on a regular basis so it was a great indulgence.

Conclusion: One of the other couples there said it best, "I wonder if the cruise ship can just pick us up here in two days on their way back up the coast?" We left with a desire to figure out the logistics on how to come back and stay longer next time. Andreas and Monica do a great job running this as true "boutique" hotel. Almaplena was just the break we needed.

Edited by Green Onions