What to do in costa maya if u rent a golf cart

spotter27

I already rented one for next week and I see that u cant take it to Malecon Is that true? What else can we do?

Yes, we did that and had a blast! We were all over the place! You can ride all the way down to the end of the island till it gets to be private property. Just follow the signs. There are different beaches and bars along the way. We stopped way at the end at a very nice place and of course I can't remember the name now, but there is no charge to sit there. We ordered a beer and talked to some other cruisers and just enjoyed the view and the ocean. Look on the Ports of Call Forum and you may find a thread there, that's how I learned of it. It was a very fun afternoon and everyone we dealt with from the rental of the golf cart, the shops and the lady at the beach we stopped at were very nice. Enjoy!

First, Costa Maya is not an island, it is mainland Mexico. You can ride a golf cart on the back road that parallels the Malecon and at the very beginning of and at the end of the Malecon but you can not ride it (legally) down the main part of the malecon which is about a mile.

And since you have to walk down the malecon to see most of it, it is much cheaper to just get a taxi which is a $5 pp round trip to the malecon and back rather than paying $20 an hour for the golf cart just to leave it parked somewhere.

Edited by tallyho8

Yes, we did that and had a blast! We were all over the place! You can ride all the way down to the end of the island till it gets to be private property. Just follow the signs. There are different beaches and bars along the way. We stopped way at the end at a very nice place and of course I can't remember the name now, but there is no charge to sit there. We ordered a beer and talked to some other cruisers and just enjoyed the view and the ocean. Look on the Ports of Call Forum and you may find a thread there, that's how I learned of it. It was a very fun afternoon and everyone we dealt with from the rental of the golf cart, the shops and the lady at the beach we stopped at were very nice. Enjoy!

What you are referring to is the Malecon and basically a 10 minute ride from the port. You are no where near the end of Costa Maya. :p

• 1 month later...

We just got back on the 15th and we rented one... for what it is worth here, they are very beat up and when you go to a local bar, they should have an eye kept on them for safety sake

We toured the small town there and that was a very humbling experience for us and the kids and relating to them how well we have it back home.

The beach and bars are not in walking distance, so its either a taxi for $3 a person or a golf cart for $20 an hour

Knowing what I know now.... stay in the pool and at the swim up bar in the pier.... much safer and it is free to swim!