paying taxi with usd or euro ?

fvandewouwer

arriving Cartagena only for half a day ( cruise port ) we want to see the old city

have a stop at the fort noting else nothing more ( except for a good cop of coffee )

can anyone give us an update about paying a taxi with usd or even euro ?

( with so many cruise people I guess they must have had that kind of question )

and suppose if someone reads this and says, " yes I have been to the city paying my taxi with usd ) can you pls give us an idea how much this would be ( are willing to pay more if we could give dollars instead of pesos )

seems so stupid to change money only for a few bucks

suppose we see something nice we would buy, we will pay with our visa

but changing money there is always a fee of 5 usd and 1.5 % of the money you take out the atm

visa even more expensive

thanks for your input

have a great day

• 2 weeks later...

I was just thinking of posting this question, as well. I'm not sure if our ship will have Columbian Pesos to sell us, and we'd rather not buy a bunch just for a taxi. Plus I've read somewhere that the taxis at the port would rather take you on a half day tour, than a point to point ride since they'd earn more the first way.

• 3 weeks later...
I was just thinking of posting this question, as well. I'm not sure if our ship will have Columbian Pesos to sell us, and we'd rather not buy a bunch just for a taxi. Plus I've read somewhere that the taxis at the port would rather take you on a half day tour, than a point to point ride since they'd earn more the first way.

Just got back from Cartagena, we used American money everywhere...taxi, shopping, lunch in town, street vendors etc.... Ship does not have pesos for exchange, you will be fine with American money. Have a great time, it's a beautiful place!

• 5 weeks later...

You can use USD in Cartagena. Prices were normally quoted in USD. I have always used USD at all Caribbean cruise ports and never had a problem. I don't know about Euros but I would expect it is not as common so I would suggest you get USD cash for your entire trip.

arriving Cartagena only for half a day ( cruise port ) we want to see the old city

have a stop at the fort noting else nothing more ( except for a good cop of coffee )

can anyone give us an update about paying a taxi with usd or even euro ?

( with so many cruise people I guess they must have had that kind of question )

and suppose if someone reads this and says, " yes I have been to the city paying my taxi with usd ) can you pls give us an idea how much this would be ( are willing to pay more if we could give dollars instead of pesos )

seems so stupid to change money only for a few bucks

suppose we see something nice we would buy, we will pay with our visa

but changing money there is always a fee of 5 usd and 1.5 % of the money you take out the atm

visa even more expensive

thanks for your input

have a great day

thank you everyone for your replies and yes we could use usd in Cartagena without a problem

happy cruising everyone

You can use USD in Cartagena. Prices were normally quoted in USD. I have always used USD at all Caribbean cruise ports and never had a problem. I don't know about Euros but I would expect it is not as common so I would suggest you get USD cash for your entire trip.