El Yunque Ship Excursion - Divina

CruisnDeb

Has anyone done the El Yunque ship excursion in Puerto Rico? Is it just driving or do you get out of the vehicle some? What did you think of it? I'm having trouble finding private tour companies that go there the day we will be in port so I might be stuck doing the ship excursion if we want to go.

When we went we were out of the bus twice. Once at the waterfall/visitor center/trails area where we were give some time to do whatever we wanted. Also at a tower(not sure what it was called). There were some great photo-ops from the tower and other areas. However the bus ride to and from the rain forest is long(good for a nap on the way back) and mostly on a highway.

Thanks lakelorain for that info.

Reds4life that would be awesome if you could report back on how long the drive took there and back and what kind of traffic you encountered. Renting a car would definitely be a good option.

Is there a particular reason you are finding a private tour operator ie are they all booked? We booked one (I don't think I'm allowed to say who) after doing some research on Trip Advisor.

I checked some of my usual Caribbean tour companies (one in particular that doesn't charge you if the ship misses port) and they aren't showing any to El Yunque for the day we will be in port (November 29th). I also did a google search and really didn't come up with much. I got one company from the google search, and I am not impressed with my emails back and forth with this person so far. I will try Trip Advisor. Thanks.

Has anyone done the El Yunque ship excursion in Puerto Rico? Is it just driving or do you get out of the vehicle some? What did you think of it? I'm having trouble finding private tour companies that go there the day we will be in port so I might be stuck doing the ship excursion if we want to go.

It was very nice. You come out and see a lot.

Did you book on your own or with MSC?

With MSC . All private companies today charge same or almost same as cruise line it's not like 15 years ago when you can get excursion in half price. We book from cruise line now or just take a taxi to destination we need.

With MSC . All private companies today charge same or almost same as cruise line it's not like 15 years ago when you can get excursion in half price. We book from cruise line now or just take a taxi to destination we need.

Thanks! Were you guys able to get pics of the waterfalls, did you get to hike through the rainforest. Did you have time to take a dip in the waterfalls. Sorry I'm full of questions. I just want to make sure before I book with MSC that we will get the full experience of the rainforest.

We're renting a car and driving to El Yunque as well. I prefer the freedom to stay as long as we want at any one place. Hoping to also have time to check out Luquillo Beach and try some local food at the kiosks.

We are cruising in April and found a private company to take us to the rainforest. He said it's a 45 min to 1 hour drive from the port. He's taking our group on a hike through the rainforest (about 1 1/2 miles) and then a swim in the waterfall. I prefer to be guided so that we can learn all about the unique animals and flora there. I hope this helps!

Thanks Natalie I am wondering if the ship excursion is going to give us a guide to explain the different things we will see as well as an opportunity to swim in the waterfalls. If you would when you return in April share your experience and pictures?

We're renting a car and driving to El Yunque as well. I prefer the freedom to stay as long as we want at any one place. Hoping to also have time to check out Luquillo Beach and try some local food at the kiosks.

We did 2 weeks in Puerto Rico in Sept. The rain forest and beach are not too far apart.

Do get the toll pass on your rental. The road going to the rain forest is horrible. If you see someone in front of you just hit their brake a be prepared to do the same thing in the same spot.

Once you get to the rainforest there is a visitor center if it closed drive on up the the ranger office.

Steers may not be marked and everything is in Kilometers except the speed limit.

There are a couple of options for food. Bebo's is on the way down to they sell by the pound. There are a couple local places as you drive up the rainforest

Sent from my SM-T817T using Forums mobile app

We did 2 weeks in Puerto Rico in Sept. The rain forest and beach are not too far apart.

Do get the toll pass on your rental. The road going to the rain forest is horrible. If you see someone in front of you just hit their brake a be prepared to do the same thing in the same spot.

Once you get to the rainforest there is a visitor center if it closed drive on up the the ranger office.

Steers may not be marked and everything is in Kilometers except the speed limit.

There are a couple of options for food. Bebo's is on the way down to they sell by the pound. There are a couple local places as you drive up the rainforest

Some really good info there, rvrocker. Thanks!