What Multi-Country GSM SIM to Use?

We purchased an unlocked quad-band GSM mobile several years ago in Asia. Our regular cellphones are CDMA, so we aren't bothering with their world roaming plan. We're going to be in London, Barcelona, Rome, Athens, Ephesus, Alexandria, Valletta, and Paris next month, but none of them for longer than 3 days. We want to be reachable for travel arrangements and emergencies, and be able to make a call if a payphone isn't handy. I've checked out the websites of over 20 global SIM cards and half-again as many that offer country-specific SIMs. My head still is spinning as I write this. Most of the "reviews" I've seen on mobile-related boards have questionable sincerity (possibly being posted by the SIM sellers themselves) and most of the posts I've searched on CC discuss the Mobal combo handset solution, not separate SIMs. Help!? :confused:

How long have you used it? Does the credit expire? If so, is that a hassle? How's the call quality been for you in Europe? The Passport is a 'call back' type, right? Sorry for the '20 questions'. I appreciate your opinion.

I've had it for about 2 years, and have used it on one trip to Europe - 18 days around the Med. It worked pretty well, though I did have occasional problems getting service. I don't remember the specifics now, except the south of France does stick in my mind as being one place where I definitely had issues. I don't know why. Call quality was good. It is a call-back type service, but that works remarkably well.

With respect to top-ups and expiration....the obligation is to add the minimum top-up (I think it's either $15 or $20) every 15 months and have a billable event every 9 months. I've been installing the SIM so that I can call myself on the land line and then hanging up the cell when the call is picked up at home.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, we have purchased SIMS cards to use with our unlocked cell phone from this company several times. My daughter also did a study abroad and we got a SIM card for her, reloaded easily--she used it for 6 mos. Very easy to use and activate and the cost of calls is really good. They have options for "multicountry". Very clear instructions are provided, you get the SIM card mailed to you before you depart the USA.

Check it out:

http://www.cellularabroad.com/

I would second united mobile I have 4 cards! Actually they switched to UK numbers from Liechtenstein so our 2 cards became 4. Rates are good and the call back service is easy once you get used to it (to call out you call the number get a please wait number not allowed message then the phone rings and you hear the ring tone as the computer connects you to your party)

Archived