Zip Lining in St Marteen or St Thomas

wrich427

I was thinking about doing zip lines at Labadee but it does not seem like it is worth it. Can anyone recommend a zip line experience in St Thomas or St Maarten?

We skipped the Labadee zipline because of cost and wait time. Didn't want to spend 1.5 hrs waiting in line versus beach time.

On our 2008 AOS Southern route we did do a zip line tour in St. Marteen that was a first time adventure for the whole family. It consisted of several short/medium zip lines plus a variety of bridges between tree stands -- almost like an obstacle course. The entire thing is in the tree tops -- pretty cool.

Good instruction, freindly guides, felt safe. Sorry, I can't recall the exact name. It was a 30-45 minute bus ride and the entire thing lasted approx 3 hrs.

There are far better places to see and things to do in St. Maarten, rather than limiting yourself to the zip line. I have done the zip line there and was disappointed. The plantation and the scenery was beautiful, but the excursion itself was just, "meh". Compared to zip lining across canyons in Cabo and in the rainforest in Costa Rica, the one in St. Maarten does not compare. Just my opinion.

What I DO recommend, is renting a car for the entire day and driving around the whole island, at your leisure. There are so many great places along the way to stop with breathtaking views. Marigot is a lovely town on the north side of the island ... great local cafes for crepes and other French pastries. On Gran Case to the very north, there are tons of mom-and-pop seafood places.

• 4 weeks later...

When you have teens they want "fun" things to do and this is it! Some of the reviews I have read state that there is more climbing, than ziplining? Am I correct in saying that there is still no zip line in St. Thomas?? We did the one in Alaska and we all enjoyed it, we did climb but 90% of the excursion we ziped? Will we be disapointed? Thanks!

Edited by the plumbers wife

• 2 years later...

Tree Limin' in St Thomas was awesome when we went in September, (first zip line for us) and we got a complimentary admission to the botanical gardens.

From what I've read there's a big difference between Tree Limin' and Loterie so read the reviews - mainly at Loterie you are basically on your own, responsible for hooking/unhooking yourself on the lines, at Tree Limin' they are very safety oriented, and there's people at each stop to assist you. Since people have different ideas of how they want the experience to go, some love the "on your own" of Loterie, others didn't like it at all, some like the safety at Tree Limin', others felt "babied"

Hope this helps :)

My DH and I are 65 and I have a few health issues. How much climbing and what kind of obstacles are there. We would love to try it. What do you think? I went to Lorie farm website and I think it said $35, is that right? ;)

I don't know about Loterie, Tree Limin' is around $100 and I thought they were comparabl priced. At Tree Limin' we had to climb a wooden ladder straight up to the first platform, and there are 2 rope bridges that you have to cross, so you'll need a little strength for that. From what I've read, Loterie is definitely more intense so if you have concerns I'd do Tree Limin' instead. Hope that helps. :)

You're welcome! You can contact Tree Limin' with your questions/concerns, they were very helpful when I did, they may have help or a different way to get to the start if that's a concern, and can help you across the rope bridges, they weren't difficult to do. I hope you are able to zip-line with them.

I really like the way this thread jumped from March 2011 to January 2014! Because I have some questions also. Has anyone ever done Loterie Farm on their own? Or do you all just do the ship excursion? We are on Allure in April and the excursion description does not specify which Zip it is. Regular or Extreme. 4 of the younger adults want to zip. I would rather hike. No zipping for me, thank you very much. So, that's why I am wondering. And the Loterie website says no reservations, you pretty much have to get there a half an hour before their tour time, which are 10am 12 and 2pm. So, I wonder how long of a cab ride it is and how much $$? Are you better off on the RCL excursion? Thanks so much for any advice.

I really like the way this thread jumped from March 2011 to January 2014! Because I have some questions also. Has anyone ever done Loterie Farm on their own? Or do you all just do the ship excursion? We are on Allure in April and the excursion description does not specify which Zip it is. Regular or Extreme. 4 of the younger adults want to zip. I would rather hike. No zipping for me, thank you very much. So, that's why I am wondering. And the Loterie website says no reservations, you pretty much have to get there a half an hour before their tour time, which are 10am 12 and 2pm. So, I wonder how long of a cab ride it is and how much $$? Are you better off on the RCL excursion? Thanks so much for any advice.

If you are going with a group of people, it would probably be best to just rent a car. If you look on St. Martin's website they list the taxi fares there. I believe it's $25 or $30 for 4 people one way. Loterie is a beautiful hidden treasure. We didn't do zip line, but relaxed, walked and ate lunch. We rented a car and did our own st Martín tour and had a blast! Hope this helps.

• 9 months later...