Blue Lagoon or Melia?

rocky55

Hi. I am going on a cruise in August. I am going with my 11 year old daughter. I am debating between Blue Lagoon and the Melia hotel. Has anyone done both? My daughter loves to swim, so just looking for a fun pool/beach day. I see Blue Lagoon has the blow up things in the water which looks fun, but Melia also has some water activities. So I guess, which did you prefer.

Thank you for your help!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi. I am going on a cruise in August. I am going with my 11 year old daughter. I am debating between Blue Lagoon and the Melia hotel. Has anyone done both? My daughter loves to swim, so just looking for a fun pool/beach day. I see Blue Lagoon has the blow up things in the water which looks fun, but Melia also has some water activities. So I guess, which did you prefer.

Thank you for your help!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The plus for Blue Lagoon is that your daughter can watch the dolphins and sea lions for free. Between the animals and the water inflatables, BL would be my pick.

Melia is fine, but you can't beat the dolphins at play.

The plus for Blue Lagoon is that your daughter can watch the dolphins and sea lions for free. Between the animals and the water inflatables, BL would be my pick.

Melia is fine, but you can't beat the dolphins at play.

I would love to visit Blue Lagoon but it seems like the boat ride there and back will take a big chunk out of our time to enjoy it. Also, I don't like the times the boat leaves from Blue Lagoon. Scubagirrl our ship is in port from 8 - 5. How long will it take to travel to Blue Lagoon? Do you think that will be enough time to enjoy Blue Lagoon or would Melia be better? Also, does Melia have inflatable water toys like Blue Lagoon? Thanks

We just did Blue Lagoon a couple weeks ago. We were off the ship at 8 and on the island by 9:15. I'd guess the boat ride is about 25-30 min. It's a beautiful ride. We took the 2pm ferry back and had plenty of time to swim, eat the included lunch, and interact with the dolphins. I'd just be one of the first off your ship.

If this interests you... We did the "guest photo". For $19 each we were able to get in the water, the dolphin kisses you, and a photo is taken. You get a 5x7 for no extra charge. We did that around 11:00 and it was great timing.

Blue lagoon was a highlight of our trip

We just did Blue Lagoon a couple weeks ago. We were off the ship at 8 and on the island by 9:15. I'd guess the boat ride is about 25-30 min. It's a beautiful ride. We took the 2pm ferry back and had plenty of time to swim, eat the included lunch, and interact with the dolphins. I'd just be one of the first off your ship.

If this interests you... We did the "guest photo". For $19 each we were able to get in the water, the dolphin kisses you, and a photo is taken. You get a 5x7 for no extra charge. We did that around 11:00 and it was great timing.

Blue lagoon was a highlight of our trip

Thank you!!! I thought I had settled on Melia but the more I read about Blue Lagoon, the more I want to go.

We got ours through the ship. The beach day was $65 which included lunch that is available from 11:30 to 3:00. We did the dolphin kiss for $19 each.

I would think you could spend a few hours there if you are in port from 11-8. The boat runs several times throughout the day, with the last one leaving at 4. If you email them they can tell you the shuttle boat times. They were very easy to communicate with via email.

I have done both, and both times during the off months of late fall. The trip to Blue Lagoon was wonderful, love being out on the water. However a cold front came through and it was too cold to get in the water. The beach part of the lagoon is strongly affected by the tide, and when the tide went out we walked across the lagoon, and around the island. Very pretty, and your going in August wont be affected by a cold front.

Melia (then the Sheritan) we have been to twice, the pools are fabulous, the hot tub wonderful and there are kayaks and water toys for the kids to play on.

If your child wants to visit with critters, I am thinking Blue Lagoon, if your child feels safer in pools, then I would choose the Melia.

We have been to Nassau app. 7-8 times now and have NEVER been able to make it to Blue Lagoon, we get in at 1:30 this November, still think that is too late, would cc'ers agree with that?

thanks

Nina from Baltimore

We just went to melia this past week on our rci cruise. We were very happy with our choice. Beach was great....awesome snorkeling by the big rocks. Lots of amenities to enjoy and great price. We paid 30 each for adults and 15 each for kids. Just took taxi (5 per person)and bought passesat front desk

We just went to melia this past week on our rci cruise. We were very happy with our choice. Beach was great....awesome snorkeling by the big rocks. Lots of amenities to enjoy and great price. We paid 30 each for adults and 15 each for kids. Just took taxi (5 per person)and bought passesat front desk

Hi. Did you ever go to blue lagoon?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have been to Nassau app. 7-8 times now and have NEVER been able to make it to Blue Lagoon, we get in at 1:30 this November, still think that is too late, would cc'ers agree with that?

thanks

Nina from Baltimore

Yes, too late. The last ferry back from Blue Lagoon leaves at 4 so you'd only have about an hour to spend there.

Sent from my Samsung Victory using Forums mobile app

Does anyone know if the Melia day pass ends at a certain time? We do not arrive to Nassau until 1:30 p.m. (Grandeur of the Seas) and I figure that we would not be to the Melia until 2:30-3:00. Do you think it's worth the $ to buy the pass if we arrive at that time?

We were in Blue Lagoon last Thursday, haven't done Melia. This excursion (with the dolphin swim) was the highlight of our cruise for myself, hubby, 16 yo dtr and 9 yo son.

It took about an hour to get there from the port - as you have to be transported to the ferry terminal and take a very nice, scenic 30 min ferry ride to BL, definitely a plus!

Once at BL, there are the dolphin/sea lion encounters/swim or you can watch them for free from the docks. It was quiet, and no problems finding loungers/hammocks for the beach. There was a small water park, plus water toys (paddle boats/floating mats/huge inflatable tricycles/mini trampolines). I didn't see any kayaks nor a place to rent snorkel gear. If you have your own snorkel equipment, there is a small area where you can swim/dive to see fish and coral. One could also do that without snorkels, my husband and dtr did that. There is also a bar/buffet/grill that you can order from as well. They also had a very nice, high quality souvenir shop.

We were on BL from 9-2 which gave us time for our dolphin swim/souvenir shop/lunch/beach time all at a relaxed pace. Plus it was very quiet and relaxing there!

Edited by wifeNmommy

• 4 weeks later...
How is the water at this beach? Is it clear and do u need water shoes?

The beach is pretty clear and I wouldn't say you would need water shoes. However, there are some bigger, heavier rocks in the water here and there. My daughter and grandson spent hours tossing them back and forth and diving in after them, so they are definitely big enough for you to SEE them before stepping on them. :)