Parents of kids 3-6 years old: talk me into a cruise!

Smiles33

I'm trying to figure out what is the best vacation for us but need help making the final decision. I think I've got it nailed down to either a flight to Hawaii (with a condo rental there) or a Princess cruise to Mexico (either balcony or mini-suite). I want to go somewhere warm and we are on the West Coast. We have 2 kids, 6 year old and 3 year old girls.

Both options are around the same ballpark price. Hawaii would be more like our typical vacation (which has been only road trips to rental condos for the last 7 years), but we'd have the beaches of Hawaii. We'd rent a car and just try new restaurants and play on the beach. I think the advantages to Hawaii would be more space (2 bedrooms, kitchenette, etc.) and less pressure to do stuff.

A cruise would be a whole new experience. There are more activities on a cruise ship, so we're more likely to be active as I know we tend to just sit and veg on our vacations. There is also a kids' club so DH and I could actually do a date night or have daytime activities (if DDs cooperate). Both have been in daycare since infancy so they're used to group settings. My 3 year old still naps, too, so I know one of us has to sit in the room with her for 2 hours every afternoon. If we are on the cruise, I will definitely want a balcony!

I also like the idea of not being trapped on a plane for 10+ hours (round-trip) and dealing with the airports. My girls have never been on a plane because our entire extended family lives within 30 minutes of us and we have only taken road trip vacations since my eldest was born. I'd have to lug 2 carseats if we go to Hawaii, too.

Yet we would still have to drive 4-5 hours to get to the cruise dock. So it's either 10+ hours on a plane/airport security or about 10 hours total on the road (with breaks). DDs have been fine on such long road trips, but we can take breaks to run around. I'm not sure how they'd do in a plane.

It seems like the cruise would be a fun new adventure, but I don't know that there is actually real beach time while on the cruise. I'm getting brochures mailed to me by my MIL/FIL's travel agent (they cruise a lot). It also seems like the actual cabin would be tiny compared to the condo rental we usually get.

I went 20+ years ago on a cruise to the Bahamas (Carnival? It was before Disney had their own cruise line but was Disney themed). I loved it as a teenager, especially all the food! But my DH is pickier about food (he doesn't like 99% of the buffets we have tried). If we go to Hawaii, there are lots of different options. Not sure how cruise food compares.

Obviously, I'm sure folks here are all pro-cruise, but tell me if I missed any of the other advantages/disadvantages.

Edited by Smiles33

A 4-5 hour car trip shouldn't take 10 hours, even with breaks!!! We routinely would drive with our kids for 2-3 hours without stopping....totally doable! A flight to Hawaii from the W. Coast is only about 5 hours (in the plane)...

The food on a cruise is plentiful....but don't expect 4 star....think more along the lines of Outback, Chilis, Ruby Tuesday...that sort of fare. We seldom eat in the buffet...we enjoy the dining room much better. It's ultra casual for breakfast and lunch....it's only dinner that you will want to wear less casual clothing.

Food in Hawaii is VERY expensive...even a trip to McDonalds will cost about double what it does in the States.

I think either option will give your family a good vacation.

There is plenty of beach time available on a cruise. My favorite activity when cruising is to go to the beaches, and I always have plenty of time to enjoy the beach I'm at. If you want to have the most time, make sure you are ready to go as soon as they let passengers off the ship. Depending on the ports of call, there may be a nice beach right by the ship, which would eliminate/reduce travel time.

The cabin will be much smaller than a condo, but it has never bothered me. You don't spend a lot of time there anyway. I think the cabins are cozy.

As for renting a condo, have you thought of the possibility that you might have to do some cooking (such as breakfast, maybe lunch) while on vacation? Unless you want to pay to go out for every meal, you'll have to get groceries. Also, does the condo include maid service/cleaning afterward, or will you have to clean it yourself? A cruise might be more of a real vacation!

There is absolutely more space in a condo, but both times I've done the condo thing I've vowed never again because it's just like home with me doing the shopping, cooking, cleaning and while it's nice to be away, I don't feel like I've had a real vacation. On a cruise I sit with my family three meals a day and someone else is taking care of everything and cleaning up after us. As you mentioned, you'll also get grown-up time on a cruise. That to me is worth giving up the space of a condo. Throw in the whole avoiding flights thing and it would be an easy decision for me (I don't mind flying at all - it's dealing with the airports, delays, luggage etc). If the flight is 5 hours, you have to add two hours to that to allow for getting to the airport early enough for luggage check-in/security and the wait for the luggage on the other end.

I will say that the beaches of the Mexican Riviera are not as nice as the beaches in Hawaii, so that's something to consider as well. But my girls have always had a ball on the Mex Riviera beaches.

Best,

Mia

My DS7 and DD4 loved their first cruise out of Long Beach last month so much that we're going on a longer one this month.

DS7 spent all of his time in Camp Carnival including every dinner which is great because, bless his little heart, he can be a handful.

DD4 is much more calm and wanted to eat in the Main Dining Room with us and was an angel... but she also spent a lot of time in Camp Carnival.

We're going to spend beach time in Cabo and Vallarta this month.

And our 7 day cruise in a balcony is much cheaper than a trip to Hawaii. But we'll probably cruise or fly to Hawaii when the kids are older, need more stimulation, and can appreciate the wonder of the islands.

For now, they love Camp Carnival, swimming in the ship pools, and sliding down the water slides. And we love to relax!

On a cruise you don't have to cook, clean, shop or think about what is for dinner. You have all the meals provided for you, kids are entertained and you can relax and enjoy. If you rent a condo you still have to make the beds, maybe cook and do some cleaning if you use the kitchen. A cruise would be more relaxing for you and the kids will have a great time also.

If the Hawaii thing was a hotel, I'd do a hotel (or the cruise). But I will never ever again do the condo thing, unless we are eating out for each meal.

I've tried this before and hubby and I agreed 'we are both on vaca, so let's share the work...mama's not doing 'everthing.." And it just doesn't work out.

We did a Disney condo/villa this winter however, and I made breakfast. (cereal, eggs and bacon only). That was fun. But, housekeeping does all your dishes and you could even get laundry done if you wanted. As opposed to an actual condo where you're planning on doing all the work.

I know you've never brought the kids on a plane before, but honestly, you may be overthinking it. At their ages, I think they'd be fine. You should take the 3 yo girls, and hubby should take the 6 yo. Bring a few portable DVD players, plenty of snacks, special toys that they normally don't play with (get a few special things ahead of time and make a surprise airplane backpack). Maybe I'm biased...I just took a 5 yo and 1 yo on a 12 hr (one way) flight to Istanbul....:rolleyes:...It was fine!

I don't think you could go wrong on a cruise either though. Everything's taken care of for you. There's really nothing to think about on a cruise.

I'd consider what do you feel like doing? Check out the details of the cruise itinerary, ports, etc. Then check the location of the land trip in Hawaii. Is there anything about either that really appeals to you? I think a trip is all about location. You can have the most beautiful hotel, or ship, but if you don't like the location you're going to...it really doesn't matter.

A 4-5 hour car trip shouldn't take 10 hours, even with breaks!!! We routinely would drive with our kids for 2-3 hours without stopping....totally doable! A flight to Hawaii from the W. Coast is only about 5 hours (in the plane)...

I said round trip, so TOTAL hours are about 10 whether it's a drive to the port (we have made it 4 hours straight before but only if both kids napped at least an hour of the 4 hours) or by plane with airport security issues. DH and I have both been to Hawaii several times pre-kids so it's not a new adventure but one we know we would enjoy. He has never been to Mexico and I've only been to Puerta Vallarta so that might be fun to see new sights.

The bigger issue is that I didn't realize cruise food was like Chili's/Outback, etc. We would much prefer authentic ethnic food than standard American restaurant food. I remember loving the food on my cruise 20 years ago but I was in high school then and not as adventurous an eater as I am now. We regularly enjoy Indian, Korean, Mediterranean, Afghan, Japanese and Mexican food and I thought there would be more cuisine diversity on cruises now.

The cruise wih mini suite or balcony is $1500-$2000 more than Hawaii (with air, condo rental and car rental) so we should have plenty of funds for both cheap breakfasts at home and nicer lunches and dinners. DH does all the cooking anyway and loves it, so that's not a drawback for us.

DH is not a lines person, though. He grumbled throughout our Disneyland trip last year, despite my getting Fast Passes so he stood for 10 min at most. That's the other thing that worries me, all the lines to get food or do stuff.

Edited by Smiles33

The bigger issue is that I didn't realize cruise food was like Chili's/Outback, etc. We would much prefer authentic ethnic food than standard American restaurant food. I remember loving the food on my cruise 20 years ago but I was in high school then and not as adventurous an eater as I am now. We regularly enjoy Indian, Korean, Mediterranean, Afghan, Japanese and Mexican food and I thought there would be more cuisine diversity on cruises now.

While there may be influenced food from those areas most food is main stream. You must remember that most cruise lines are cooking for thousands of people everyday so there is not going to be that experience that a land based restaurant will give you.

If your hubby is a foodie (like mine) than some cruise lines will not please him. I personally am just as happy with carnival or Disney food as I am with 3 Michelin star food. I love both. But hubby (ny-er) is extremely picky and when he vacations, if spending lots of money, he'd rather spend that much extra to get authentic or high quality food.

Think about that aspect, as well as location. If you feel its more about the ship and activities then go into the cruise knowing that the food will likely be only so so to you. You can also get authentic food on land for your lunches.

I know my hubby and he would never do a big ship cruise, never. I wouldn't really care, but since its about both of us, I just know we'll never do one.

If your hubby is a foodie (like mine) than some cruise lines will not please him. I personally am just as happy with carnival or Disney food as I am with 3 Michelin star food. I love both. But hubby (ny-er) is extremely picky and when he vacations, if spending lots of money, he'd rather spend that much extra to get authentic or high quality food.

Think about that aspect, as well as location. If you feel its more about the ship and activities then go into the cruise knowing that the food will likely be only so so to you. You can also get authentic food on land for your lunches.

I know my hubby and he would never do a big ship cruise, never. I wouldn't really care, but since its about both of us, I just know we'll never do one.

That's what I'm afraid of now. He hates the chain restaurants. So which cruise lines do you use that offer good food? Any originating on the West Coast?

That's what I'm afraid of now. He hates the chain restaurants. So which cruise lines do you use that offer good food? Any originating on the West Coast?

We like Crystal, but as far as families go, its not for everyone. Its pretty high end, and though families are welcome, they won't have all the child amenities that a big ship cruise offers. When we travel though, we're not into babysitting or club services-although they do offer both for many sailings. Our kids found the kids facilities quite adequate, but like I said, compared to big ships there isn't nearly as much. Foodwise, they consistently have some of the best rated food at sea, with celebrity chefs overseeing the menus.

Regent's food is also very highly rated. As far as big ship cruising, Celebrity also has highly rated food, especially in the specialty dining venues. But alot of this will depend on personal taste of course!

We aren't the type that are going to be cruising every year. With the type of high end cruising we want to do, it would be too pricey.

An all out cruise every several years is great, with a few land trips in between.

What I like about cruising is that there are choices for everyone! Some people love the big ship cruising-my inlaws had a Hawaiian Princess cruise 2 yrs ago and still RAVE about it. I'd probably like it too, but I know my hubby would hate it.

Since you were looking at Princess, that's a line with more upscale food and more formal dining. You should be able to find the menus for a typical Princess cruise on the Princess boards. We never waited in lines on a Princess cruise, but we do not do buffets (we eat in the dining room every meal) and we don't care if we're the first ones off the ship.

Princess does cruises from the West Coast to Hawaii, but they're 15 days, which may be too much for you. We absolutely loved it - best of both worlds.

Best,

Mia

Celebrity has very good food, from what I've been told, and they have West Coast departures that go to Hawaii and back. Celebrity also does Pacific Coastal cruises that are in and out of Los Angeles (Santa Barbara, San Francisco (2 days), Monterrey, Catalina, Ensenada). We're considering that cruise for next year.

I was actually quite pleased with the food I got on Disney - I'd say it was at least equal to what we got on Princess. There are Disney cruises that go up and down the California coast (San Diego, Ensenada, San Francisco, and into and out of Los Angeles) that might be a good option.

Hi Smiles33,

I think that ages 3-6 are awesome for a cruise! And agree with what others have said about how relaxing cruises are. While you don't necessarily get a break from being a parent, they do have kids clubs if your children are interested/willing to go, and just not having to worry about finding food or cooking/cleaning is great. You can really relax. I like cooking, too, but cooking in a foreign kitchen, having to buy ingredients, etc., is not as relaxing.

That said, cruising is not for everyone. The food isn't like going to Chili's - they have a lot of variety, some of it ethnic or ethnic-inspired, and much of it is upscale types of food. That said, it is usually made banquet style, as others have mentioned, so it's not the same as going to a land-based restaurant. Most cruise lines have additional for-fee restaurants that are often more upscale and cook in smaller batches, so if husband is unhappy that is always an option, at least for dinner. I agree that food prices in Hawaii are really high, so if you go that a route, definitely prepare yourselves.

We cruise a lot because it is so much more relaxing than flying - we live in Florida and can drive to ports. Flying with 2 kids and car seats, getting there early, delays, going through security lines, etc. - ugh! We fly sometimes for vacation, but it is soooo much more relaxing to avoid that.

Maybe you should give cruising a try and see what you think - it wouldn't be the same as your typical vacations, but might be a nice change of pace for your family. My daughter LOVES cruising, and can't wait to go again.

Some caveats - are you getting connecting cabins, or trying to get everyone in one room? If you can afford (and can get) connecting rooms that might be nicer for all, but if not, definitely go for the mini suite on Princess instead of the balcony. Does your 3 year old still take baths, because Princess balconies are shower only, so would recommend a mini-suite if you need a tub.

Whatever you decide, have a great vacation!

PS - Princess has notoriously terrible coffee (made from concentrate), so if you are big coffee drinkers, I'd recommend planning on buying the specialty coffees onboard (which are freshly brewed), or maybe bringing something like Starbucks via packets.

Both options are around the same ballpark price. Hawaii would be more like our typical vacation (which has been only road trips to rental condos for the last 7 years), but we'd have the beaches of Hawaii. We'd rent a car and just try new restaurants and play on the beach. I think the advantages to Hawaii would be more space (2 bedrooms, kitchenette, etc.) and less pressure to do stuff.

I also like the idea of not being trapped on a plane for 10+ hours (round-trip) and dealing with the airports. My girls have never been on a plane because our entire extended family lives within 30 minutes of us and we have only taken road trip vacations since my eldest was born. I'd have to lug 2 carseats if we go to Hawaii, too.

Like most everyone here, I love cruising; so I would wholeheartedly recommend going on a cruise. However, I'm going to tout the Hawaii option a little bit. Which island(s) are you thinking about? Since you've been before, you know that you don't really need a car in Honolulu; thus, no need for car seats. Or, if you do choose to rent a car for just one day for some round-the-island sightseeing, you can also rent the car seats, thus saving you from having to lug your own. (To be sure, if you're going to any of the neighbor islands, a car is pretty much a necessity, unless you'd be spending the entire time within one of the self-contained mega-resorts.)

Also, you might be pleasantly surprised about flying. My kids (ages 5.5 and 3.5) fly twice a year on average, and they LOVE it! It's a real adventure for them, filled with all kinds of neat things to see and do. (It helps that we get them into the vacation mood by letting them have more snacks on a plane than we typically do at home.) Don't dread the airports, but embrace them, for they too are a wonderland of excitement to young kids. (BTW, our longest flight with the kids thus far was about 5 hours nonstop, the same duration as West Coast to Hawaii; they were great the whole time.)

If you do choose to go to Hawaii, when you make your flight arrangements, do a little research and seek out a widebodied plane, such as a 767 or 777. Having two aisles instead of one, with "median breaks" (passageways between the two aisles, located at the emergency exits) at several spots, makes for much easier movement around the plane.

Good luck deciding!

Not sure about the other lines, but on Royal Caribbean at least, I found that the buffet had a greater variety of international dishes than the MDR did. So if you do choose to cruise, I would suggest at least checking it out. (Embarkation day doesn't count; the buffet is at its most hectic then.)

We have 4 year old twins and an almost 3 year old. We did our first cruise (with our kids) in Dec (twins were 3 and youngest 2 1/2). We did our second cruise this past April. Before we had kids we cruised all the time. Here's my take:

My boys LOVED the kids club. They had sooooo much fun. They were asking to go to the club. They do so many fun things...its more like a camp. Let's face it...active kids that young don't really want to lay out in the sun...they want to play...which is what they get to do there. It gave DH and I some great alone time...and trust me I'm really picky...my kids are not in daycare and I am very particular about who watches them...so keep that in mind...I did not hesitate sending them to the kids club. You have the option of leaving them there for some meals...I chose to take them with us to the dining hall. You should get assigned timed dining that way you don't have to wait. Plenty of options for kids to eat...they have all the typical kids fare (nuggets, pasta, sandwiches). The buffet with kids that young isn't much fun....its much nicer to be waited on.

If you have a choice pick a boat with one of those new splash pads. We did that on the Carnival Magic and the boys LOVED it. In fact when we docked in Cozumel we just stayed on the boat and enjoyed the splash area all to ourselves. Water slides, buckets of water dropping, sprays, fountains...perfect for that age.

When they aren't in the kids club there is so much to explore on the ship...trust me you won't have a dull moment. Arcade, putt-putt, pools, etc.

As far as beach time...kids that young don't have it in them to go all day at the beach....an hour or two is plenty for them. At least mine were like that..so you will have plenty of time to take them to the beach and do some shopping if you like.

Our boat was fully occupied...we never had to wait for activities. Buffet lines...yes there is a wait, but like I said go to the main dining room and you will have no wait time. Even the watersides had no wait. This boat had two large slides and two small ones perfect for this age.

Choose your ship wisely and read reviews on the ship you plan to take your kids on. We have been on most of the cruise lines (before we had kids)....but now it's so different. There are pros/cons to all of it...good luck..either way you will have a blast!

Edited by ginger123snaps

DH and I are kind of picky about food, and we had the best Indian food we've ever had on a princess cruise. DH has a special diet (low-fat vegan, basically) and on the 2nd or 3rd night, the maitre d' suggested that he try to the Indian meal for dinner... oh man, it was good. Both of us ate that for dinner for the rest of the cruise. Seriously the best Indian food ... possibly the best food, period ... we've ever had.

the buffets are buffets. for breakfasts you can find fruit, yogurt, cereal, etc., in addition to mass-cooked eggs and other "entrees" on the buffet, or you can go to the dining room and order just like if you were at a restaurant. for lunches there are deli sandwiches, hamburgers, pizza, salad bars on the buffet, or again you can go to the dining room and order. depending on the ship you might also have sushi, made to order stir fry, pasta, omelettes, etc., as options. it's generally not gourmet but it is definitely passable.

I think a condo in hawaii and a cruise are very different types of vacations. the condo will give you time to settle in to the area, and you can set your own schedule. on a cruise, you only have a day in each port. it's great bc you get to see something different each day w/o packing up each night. but you don't have the same scheduling freedom as when you're in a condo. we enjoy both types of vacations but they are very different.

I didnt even make it thru your entire post...but as a mother to dd 2, 5 & 8 (who have all travelled since infancy)...my suggestion to you is DO NOT start your dd first flight with 5 hours long! It is such an experience and they are essientially trapped in that cabin with no where to go. IMHO that is just too long to expect your children to handle on their first flight. How is their attention? Can they make it through a movie? If so then mayne start out with about a 2 hour flight....thwn build on that. At least in a car ride you can stop, take a break, let them run around at a rest stop for a while, etc.

I actually think the cruise will be the best option and not because I don't like Hawaii. We are going to Hawaii ourselves in July but aren't cruising there.

The cruise will be more relaxing because age 3 and 6 are perfect for the youth programs. My son did a cruise on Carnival at age 3 and had an absolute ball. There won't be the long flight to deal with or the time change.

Have you thought about NCL? They don't have set dining times and some of the cruises are Nick cruises. Not sure which ones are on the west coast right now but it may be an option.

They have upscale restaurants so you may be more inclined to find something your foodie will like. My DH is also a food snob but we found some great meals on our last cruise.

We also saw so many folks with little ones about your ages who were having a great time. Made us miss all of ours so we booked a family cruise for everyone.

I am nervous but hopeful we will all have a vacation to enjoy.

I didnt even make it thru your entire post...but as a mother to dd 2, 5 & 8 (who have all travelled since infancy)...my suggestion to you is DO NOT start your dd first flight with 5 hours long! It is such an experience and they are essientially trapped in that cabin with no where to go. IMHO that is just too long to expect your children to handle on their first flight. How is their attention? Can they make it through a movie? If so then mayne start out with about a 2 hour flight....thwn build on that. At least in a car ride you can stop, take a break, let them run around at a rest stop for a while, etc.

I think it depends on their ages. An active 2 year old would find a 5 hour flight a challenge but older kids might not. Yes, it can be boring but if you have in flight entertainment systems on the plane than it goes really quickly for them. Otherwise bring along a portable DVD player or Ipad etc. 5 hours is nothing for us - try 24 hours to Europe!!

My 3.5 year old loves cruising!

I love that someone else is cooking & cleaning. :) A condo just doesn't sound like a vacation with all of that cooking & cleaning.

With that said everyones tastes in food is different & quite a few on CC don't care for the food on ______ cruise line.

Personally I like my food to be cleaner (not sauced) & so it is all a bit rich for my taste.

That said, if you choose ______ & don't like it, they will take it away & you can choose to try ______ instead. Or if you can't choose between _____ & ______ you can order both from the start.