Car Rentals

jpres

Most of the ones that come up on google are for Harwich, Maine...only about 3000 miles out!!

Had a quick look and I think the only one that wil suit you (as I assume you will want to drop the car at an airport) is Europcar www.europcar.co.uk . They do a meet and greet at Harwich Cruise terminal (probably from their Colchester office). This will be you best bet.

Simon

Just keep in mind that you have to drive on the left (not a problem if you are used to drinking and driving in TX). We have done a lot of driving in the UK and one must really stay alert to keep to the left and properly go around (and yield) at the traffic circles (roundabouts). And you should consider that most rental cars (especially the least expensive cars) are manual shift and you must shift with your left hand. All this takes some practice. When I rent a car in the UK the first 15 min are somewhat terrifying (for both me and anyone on the road near me).

Hank

Unless you are used to a 'stick shift' you should request an automatic. You will also need a 'satnav' (GPS) to find your way around. For fuel you should budget around 20p a mile (5 miles for £1).

Although I drive a stick shift car here in the US, I have only rented automatic transmission right-side driven cars. Cannot deal with driving on the wrong side and shifting with the wrong hand (left) at the same time.

Thanks everyone for the info. My dh will be doing the driving and yes we will request an automatic. Are most cars air conditioned? We just returned from Aus/NZ in February and they also drive on opposite side. It took some time before we got used to it and we were only passengers.

We will be renting it in Harwich and hopefully drop it off in Stretton, Rutland.

Sandra

Bear in mind that Stretton is a small village. Looks like the nearest drop off office (if you used Europcar) is in Peterborough about 20 miles away.

Simon

Thanks so much for that information. Can you catch a train back to Stretton in Peterborough?

Sandra

No, no train available. I've looked into using the bus and you would have to get to Queensgate in P'boro, catch a bus to Stamford, change, and then head off to Stretton. Just the bus journey time is 1 1/2 hrs. Any chance you can keep the car with you and use it to get to the airport after (presumably) visiting friends/family? Otherwise its going to be a case of biting the bullet and using a minicab...probably be about £30 - £40.

Simon

No, no train available. I've looked into using the bus and you would have to get to Queensgate in P'boro, catch a bus to Stamford, change, and then head off to Stretton. Just the bus journey time is 1 1/2 hrs. Any chance you can keep the car with you and use it to get to the airport after (presumably) visiting friends/family? Otherwise its going to be a case of biting the bullet and using a minicab...probably be about £30 - £40.

Simon

Thanks Simon. That doesn't sound like a good option. Will have to rework the logistics of everything.

Sandra