Packing for Christmas Market Cruise

fortunatetail

I am going on a Uniworld cruise starting in Prague and then from Nuremburg to Frankfurt December 5 through December 15th.

Question: I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on fur coats V.S. down coats on the Christmas Markets cruise. I have both and don't know which one would be best. My fur is a short-haired coat and therefore not as heavy as a long-haired fur. However, it is very long ( almost ankle length ).

The down coat is substantial also, but knee length, to be worn with high boots.

I would appreciate your comments.

I would suggest layers. Sweaters, long sleeved shirts/blouses. Could have snow so maybe boots. Gloves and scarfs. We did a Vantage Christmas market trip in 2011 and it was quite cold. Take a good hat, a wool one that you can pull down over your ears. Also a small umbrella is a must.

We're flying Dec 4th to Basel and sailing Dec 7th on the Rhine River. I personally wouldn't like a long coat - for me it would be too annoying so I'd "vote" for the shorter coat plus boots. I'd think the down would be better if there's rain - one factor along the Rhine right now - hoping its all rained out in 2 weeks!!

Whatever you decide - have a great cruise!!

For winter travel in Europe I pack a full length down coat and knee high waterproof Sorel boots. Both are tried and true.

Down repels water and I prefer the warmth of a full length coat rather than having to wear silk long johns, which are then too warm when we are indoors having a coffee or visiting a museum or pub.

We both pack in layers and I am a fan of cords and leggings for winter travel. I pack cami's and half zip tops to wear during the day. Earmuffs, hat, gloves and scarf as well.

We just returned. From Budapest to Prague. Layers!!

I took a mid calf length faux shearling coat that is very warm, a fleece jacket, and a rain jacket which could be layered over the fleece jacket if needed. My friend took a leather and fur coat. Both of us were plenty warm. Be sure and take gloves too. Lots of ladies had down coats or jackets, and there were a couple of fur coats.

A lot of people had boots. I did not as I didn't want to pack hem, but if going in December, I would have definitely taken them, I took two good pairs of walking shoes, cordoroy jeans, leggings and tights, layer able sweaters and tops. I could have taken fewer tops if I had needed the packing space.