Clothing--Alaska Cruise

lovetotraveltx

I know there are many clothing threads.

I know I need layers, etc. Not very fancy on ship...

Our cruise has 4 port days and only 3 at sea days, one of which we will be at Hubbard Glacier therefore outside most of the time.

I'm confused, since it's June and hot in a lot of states, including where I'm leaving from, do you dress like spring/summer doing the day and for dinners on the ship? Or, more like fall/early winter as it might be cool and rainy in Alaska our whole land and sea trip.

I'm a lady, but also what do men wear on the ship?

Thank you!

Do you mean for walking around inside the ship?

Our trip was the last week of June. It seems like I wore shirts that were three quarter sleeves and jeans, ankle socks and some slip on clogs, but next time I'm taking my Clark shoes. My husband wore jeans and long sleeve t-shirts and some polo type shirts. For dinner, I wore black slacks and a top to match every night. I had some dressy sandals so I didn't have to pack any hose. I felt a little out of place in my sandals. I think this time, I'm just sticking to black socks and my black Clark shoes. Gone are my days of packing matching shoes with every dinner outfit. I was younger then. Ha! My favorite article of clothing is a Columbia black fleece vest.

The mistake I made was packing too many pairs of jeans. It made our luggage very heavy. Next time I'm only wearing 1 pair and packing 2 extra pairs. The ship's laundry did a fine job of washing and pressing our jeans.

For outerwear, we ended up just taking our waterproof raincoats. We purchased nice Alaska fleece jackets for under our raincoats. It seems like fleece jackets were everywhere, but we ended up selecting the ones the ship had.

For our Vancouver day, we usually have a short sleeve t-shirt on with a jacket just in case.

For our Hubbard viewing day, we had an aft cabin and it wasn't freezing. I think we had a fleece jacket on and my husband may have put a hat on, but he's bald so maybe he was colder than me. It seems like we got to Hubbard super early (7:00 am?) so I may have even been out on the balcony in the big white fluffy robes they give us to wear on RCCL.

Hope that helps. Have fun on your trip!! We are going to Alaska next summer again, but trying out a September one.

We have not cruised on Celebrity, but I can tell you a little about our experiences. We have been on two Alaska cruises. Both were in mid August.

On our first cruise, the weather was very nice, sunny and warm, except for Ketchikan where it was raining hard all day. But we anticipated that since Ketchikan is in a rainforest and has reputation for being rainy, and we were prepared with rain gear. We went on our scheduled shore excursion and had a great time. We even saw a mother black bear and two cubs run across our path on our excursion through the rainforest.

On our second cruise, the weather was spectacular. In Ketchikan, the weather was clear, sunny, and warm. When we were viewing Hubbard glacier, the temperature was very cold. We wore layers under our windbreakers, gloves, caps, and gloves and were fine. We saw a few people on deck who were shivering in shorts. They said they didn't think it would be cold so didn't pack properly.

While we were ashore on port days, we dressed as we would at home . . . jeans, t-shirts, comfortable walking shoes. We followed the dress code for each cruise line while we were aboard.

Enjoy your cruise. Alaska is amazing!

Edited by JimAOk1945

I know there are many clothing threads.

YES, many !

do you dress like spring/summer doing the day and for dinners on the ship? Or, more like fall/early winter as it might be cool and rainy in Alaska our whole land and sea trip.

That's why you have LAYERS. With layers you're prepared for any weather! and bring your daypack .

I'm a lady, but also what do men wear on the ship?

same as the women ... jeans/khakis with tshirt, sweatshirt/fleece and comfortable walking shoes.

Edited by mapleleaves

Thanks Cheryl. To dinner also?

I didn't wear jeans in the main dining room for dinner, but jeans for lunch in there were perfectly fine. At dinnertime, I just wore black slacks and a top suitable for church. But if there's a casual buffet on your ship, then I would think jeans would be fine at dinnertime. We've never been to the buffet for dinner.

For our formal nights, we skipped the main dining room because we didn't want to pack formalwear. We went to the Chops Steak House. We still wore slacks, not jeans. But not a suit or fancy dress.

Edited by Cheryl H

Anyone else?? What do you wear onboard your Alaska cruise on at sea days?

I wear layers and "sensible" shoes during the day so I can move from indoors to outdoors easily. For dinner, I wear whatever the "dress code" is for that night -- if "smart casual" I will be in a top and decent pants or a skirt, with some nice accessories (jewelry, wrap, etc). My dh would be in docker-like pants and a golf shirt. If "formal" or "elegant" or whatever, I'll be in something like a cocktail dress or evening suit. My dh will be in a suit, tie, shirt. (He doesn't own a tux).

I wear layers and "sensible" shoes during the day so I can move from indoors to outdoors easily. For dinner, I wear whatever the "dress code" is for that night -- if "smart casual" I will be in a top and decent pants or a skirt, with some nice accessories (jewelry, wrap, etc). My dh would be in docker-like pants and a golf shirt. If "formal" or "elegant" or whatever, I'll be in something like a cocktail dress or evening suit. My dh will be in a suit, tie, shirt. (He doesn't own a tux).

Thank you!

Jeans and comfy clothes on sea days. When we got to Hubbard end of August this year it was minus 20, so so cold took our breath away. One nutter stood on deck in a swimming costume and did the ice bucket challenge lol

In June I sure hope it won't be that cold. Was thinking of just very thin rain jacket with lots of layers??

On an Alaska cruise we wore lots of comfortable clothes, blue jeans, sport shirts and tennis shoes and If the weather was damp we wore sweaters, rain jackets and water proof hiking shoes. In Alaska the whole state is rustic, we saw more than a few cruise passengers that were dressed way too upscale for an excursion in the rain forest, let alone for cocktail at the Red Dog Saloon.