Antartica excursions

2old2soon

We're thinking of taking a cruise on Celebrity Infinity from Buenos Aires to Antartica---is there an excursion to the continent so we can say we stepped on the continent?

No.

Have a look at Hurtigruten's Fram. Work out the difference in cost (probably not as much as you expect) and decide whether or not two landings per day, as against a drive-by, is worth the difference.

The 'usual' comparison is a trip on the ferry around Manhattan without stepping ashore v walking the streets, climbing the Statue of Liberty etc etc...

No, you need to go on an expedition cruise in order to step on the continent.

Not sure that's correct. I believe that some of the "drive by" cruise lines (possibly doing South America cruises), although not Celebrity, have an astonishingly expensive "excursion" to Antarctica so people can step on the continent. From what I've read, this is "weather permitting," and once you've paid, there are no refunds; if the flight to Antarctica can't go there, you go someplace else, someplace you would not have paid $$$$$ to see. (This may be offered on NCL; again, I've definitely read about it on CC.)

I'm not in the slightest saying I would recommend this (and I strongly agree with the advice above to look at an expedition trip), just trying to answer the OP's question.

Not sure that's correct. I believe that some of the "drive by" cruise lines (possibly doing South America cruises), although not Celebrity, have an astonishingly expensive "excursion" to Antarctica so people can step on the continent. From what I've read, this is "weather permitting," and once you've paid, there are no refunds; if the flight to Antarctica can't go there, you go someplace else, someplace you would not have paid $$$$$ to see. (This may be offered on NCL; again, I've definitely read about it on CC.)

I'm not in the slightest saying I would recommend this (and I strongly agree with the advice above to look at an expedition trip), just trying to answer the OP's question.

Holland America Line offer the excursion on some of their South American cruises out of, from memory, the airport at Punta Arenas. It's seriously expensive and, as you say, there's no guarantee anyone will see Antarctica, never mind step foot. The alternative destination is, again from memory, Torres del Paine which would be a very poor substitute and very poor value.

An expedition cruise is the only realistic option if anyone wants to make landfall on Antarctica (a flight across Drake Passage to meet the ship is a 'sub-option').

Edited by digitl

• 2 weeks later...

Defintly you would not step ashore on one of those big cruiseships. You do some cruise-by, but the most scenic places you don't see. If you wanna step ashore or see a penguin up-close you have to go on a expedition ship. Some examples:

Paradise Bay - You'll cruise through it.

Neumayer Channel - You can cruise through it, very nice.

Port Lockroy - You can't get ashore (southernmost postoffice).

Lemaire Channel - You only can go thru with smaller ships because of ice.

Deception Island - You only sail by. Can't cruise into the crater and go ashore.

and some more you can't go close...