Chankanaab, Money Bar, or Playa Corona for beginner snorkeling?

redbaron70

Chank offers a small beach, small pool, plus a separate snorkel area - plus dolphin shows, etc. but comes with a $20 per adult admission fee.

Money Bar offers good snorkeling from the shore, no admission fee, good facilities, plus good food/drinks/service.

I can only respond regarding the Money Bar, as that's the only one of the three I've been to. A couple of things I remember: the steps to the water are extremely slippery, and if there are any waves at all (which there were when we were there), it is a treacherous activity to enter the water without being knocked back into the rocks -- especially if you try it with fins on! I also remember that the water was at least three feet deep by the time you got down the stairs (that might need to be verified by someone who's been there more recently than 3 years ago, when I was there.) There is no sandy beach offering a gradual (zero-depth) entrance into the water -- just a rocky verge.

So depending on what you mean by "beginning snorkelers," Money Bar might be a challenge. This would be true especially for children, for whom the water might be too deep or too rough for them to stand up. Even adults may need to be skilled enough to safely enter the waist deep water and then put their fins on while possibly being buffeted by waves.

In addition, there are boats departing the nearby dock, and snorkel excursion boats just off shore -- snorkelers have to keep their wits about them to keep clear of motorcraft. Again, a challenge for children and possibly adults.

We loved the Money Bar! It was a quick and cheap taxi ride from the cruise dock, no admission cost, and we had some great snorkeling. But we are experienced snorkelers. (We brought our own gear, so I can't give information on rental prices.)

I can only respond regarding the Money Bar, as that's the only one of the three I've been to. A couple of things I remember: the steps to the water are extremely slippery, and if there are any waves at all (which there were when we were there), it is a treacherous activity to enter the water without being knocked back into the rocks -- especially if you try it with fins on! I also remember that the water was at least three feet deep by the time you got down the stairs (that might need to be verified by someone who's been there more recently than 3 years ago, when I was there.) There is no sandy beach offering a gradual (zero-depth) entrance into the water -- just a rocky verge.

So depending on what you mean by "beginning snorkelers," Money Bar might be a challenge. This would be true especially for children, for whom the water might be too deep or too rough for them to stand up. Even adults may need to be skilled enough to safely enter the waist deep water and then put their fins on while possibly being buffeted by waves.

In addition, there are boats departing the nearby dock, and snorkel excursion boats just off shore -- snorkelers have to keep their wits about them to keep clear of motorcraft. Again, a challenge for children and possibly adults.

We loved the Money Bar! It was a quick and cheap taxi ride from the cruise dock, no admission cost, and we had some great snorkeling. But we are experienced snorkelers. (We brought our own gear, so I can't give information on rental prices.)

• Do not enter the water with your fins on; first get into the water and then put your fins on.
  • Use a snorkel vest - and put some air into it -- makes floating and being seen a lot easier
  • Just in case I always wear a brightly colored rash guard shirt -- makes it easier to be seen by the boats, plus helps with prevent sunburn (I just need to find one with a hood for my bald spot! :cool:)