Chefs Table and youth

BTwurddle

BULL TWINKIES. who the hell said that children should never experience adult environments?! hell Carole herself heartily endorsed it, just NOT AT THE EXPENSE OF OTHER NON FAMILY ADULTS.

the proper way/place to teach kids how to behave in adult situations is at home. I do not want to be part of a teaching moment unless it is MY kid.

Perfect! I'll start preparing degustation menus at home for my kids. Personally, I don't care if my 12 year-old twins and my 8 year old see adults imbibing a little too much as they eat good food. That's actually part of acclimating them to how adults behave. And some of us think that spending money on their kids experiencing fine dining is worth spending $100 per kid on it (as opposed to spending $100 on them to buy a BB gun or some apps).

Personally, I would wait till my kids are 14 or 15 at least for CT, but by that point, if I've raised them to be sophisticated enough to appreciate such things (and I have), they would get their money's worth because it would be a meal they remember 50 years later--as opposed to twenty $5 meals from McDonalds that they can't remember three hours later.

Back in the old days, kids routinely went to fancy restaurants and were taught to behave and have a sense of decorum. Nowadays, kids are taught that they only belong at places like Chuck E. Cheese's, and they grow up accordingly. I'd argue that the way things were done in the old days is preferable.

I've done the Chef's Table. Very, very few children would appreciate the experience or want to go through it. Some maybe, there are young foodies out there, but it is not an experience tailored for most kids.

Plus I'd never spend that cost of CT for a kid.

The last CT I was at a few of the adults got a bit sloppy after additional pours of wine. So consider the fact that a group of adults that you don't know, and can't control, WILL be drinking.

Agree with you 100% LM.....:)

I have done Chef's Table twice. My 11 year old son is quite the foodie and has been to some wonderful restaurants over the years and has sat through 2-3 hour meals quietly (but he definitely gets bored between courses). He loves to cook and watch a lot of the Food Network competitions.

I would NOT consider bringing him to Chef's Table with us. He went to the Kid's Club each time we ate there. He was disappointed not to try the food, but understood that this was an adult experience. He enjoyed reviewing the menu with us afterwards and getting all the food descriptions.

If we had brought him it would have taken something away from the evening both for us and the other guests. So, yes, you can bring him. But I would strongly suggest that you do not.

We did a chef's table on our last cruise, admittedly it was carnival. There was a 10yo aspiring chef that came with his parents. He had a great time, thoroughly enjoyed the food, and the chef talked with him extensively about where he was trained and equipment and such. After the table, he offered the young man a chance to cook with him - I dont know what became of that as he wasn't with us. Id say it really depends on the kid, it's open to all ages, if you think he'd appreciate it go for it.

Spookwife, i never mentioned anything about a discount, and I didnt mention my nephew, his age or his interests. As far as anyone knows he could be the next Emeril Legasse or Guy Savoy. I was asking as to whether or not the permitted younger passengers to participate. Thank you however for providing two answers to two questions nobody asked.

WOW! Was that REALLY NECESSARY?!? :confused: Although Spookwife didn't directly answer your question, your response was a bit terse.

Thanks, Spookwife, you gave me some good gouge. We're booking Chef's Table ourselves. Personally, I'd prefer sitting at a table with adults on that dining - but if the child in question behaves themself, we're okay with that - I myself wouldn't bring our kids to that though, but if a kid is interested in learning about food preparation I see no problem with that either.

Just off the Oasis of the Seas 2 weeks ago and my daughter who was 20 was offered $40 off the price of chefs table for not consuming alcohol. I think they were giving a deep discount because they were having trouble filling the table since it was smack in the middle of the suite concierge lounge

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

For everyone stating that a 16 year old is a child...

A 16 year old isn't a child... a sixteen year old should know how to interact with adults, and old enough for a fine dining experience. Good food CAN be enjoyed without alcohol. Of course I would never take my 2 year old to a fine dining experience, a 16 year old who enjoys good food may seriously enjoy it. You may want to tell her that she may be the only young person at the table, but if that doesn't bother her..why not let her enjoy delicious food by a gifted chef? I'm sure as a young lady from Germany, she could converse with adults and find common ground somewhere.

I recently took my 2 1/2 year old son to a mexican restaurant at 12 pm and he was getting fussy because his food hadn't arrived and he was hungry. Some cranky lady yelled at us as we were obviously doing everything to contain him.

Thank being said... people everywhere will make a fuss about who is dining near them, no matter what. You just do what you want to do :)

This is my second comment but I couldn't stand everyone comparing a child to a teenager.