AirTran and customer service?

JustAGirl79

Hubby and I booked our one-way flight from Detroit to Ft. Lauderdale a month ago and paid $119/each plus taxes. I thought it was a good deal as with the rising gas prices, air fare prices were expected to go up.

Now, the price has dropped $30/person AND they've changed my flight time. But, they haven't even told me about the change in flight times! I noticed it myself by checking out the Web site. The flight time only changed by about 35 minutes, but because we're taking a scheduled shuttle service to the airport (two and a half hours away), it's going to make us leave home an extra two hours early and miss a day-after-wedding brunch (for a wedding in which I'm in the bridal party!).

So, what I'm wondering - for those of you with AirTran experience - any chance if I call and tell my predicament they'll refund the price difference of $30/person to make up for the flight time change? Would that be pushing it?

My wife works for Air Tran and said you MIGHT get the 30$ because they change the flight times, but that is all you will get. She also said don't push your luck or the operater on the other end of the phone might not even give that to you. If you have non-refun tickets, they don't have to do a thing. The ticket just says it will get you from point A to Point B that day. Good luck, you never know. It just depends how nice the other person is on the other end of phone. If no luck try a day or two later.

Thanks. I called the customer service number earlier today - I just talked to the lady about the flight-time change (sort of feel her out). I didn't sense that I was going to get anywhere, so I didn't mention the price change. She did tell me, however, that there is still a chance the time will change back (or to something else entirely!). Either way, I TOTALLY understand how these things work and that they don't have to do anything for me. That said, if I get on the phone with someone who wants to help me out, I will be extremely appreciative.

I just booked flights with airtran today. The phone rep told me if the fair goes down they will give me credit for the difference to use on another flight. I asked her if they would 1st deduct $50 per person like it's a change and she said no. It sounds too good to be true but that is what she told me today so you might as well call and try. Maybe they're trying to compete with southwest who does this when fairs go down? Good luck!

I experienced a price decrease on Airtran and was given the difference as a credit to be used within a year. Perhaps the rules have changed since last summer? But I was under the belief that they WOULD honor the price drop. If I were you, I'd call back again and start with the price drop question... don't wait too long or else the prices may go back up! Plus, you are already resigned to the flight time change... if nothing else happens there, at least you got the credit!

Good Luck and keep us posted!

A~

• 2 weeks later...

This is a bit of a different situation, but I have tickets booked through Air Tran to Honolulu. I happened to be at Southwest Airlines site booking airfare to a different city for a different occasion. I notice that Honolulu is listed there. I didn't know Southwest flew to Hawaii.

So, I take a peek at the dates we are going. Lo and behold they are selling the exact flight I'm taking through ATA for $143 per ticket less!! It's the exact same flight! The Southwest site shows that it's a partner flight with ATA.

I called ATA about this and they said there is nothing they can do. She said that they won't honor the prices on the Southwest website. I did not ask to speak to a manager, I don't know if that would have done anything for me or not.

I'm so mad at myself. There are three of us flying, so that would have been a savings of almost $450.

I'm also really unhappy that another airline is selling the same flight cheaper than the originating airlines website.

Lori

ATA and Air Tran are different companies ... just fyi.

Southwest now owns ATA. I noticed on a flight last week that ATA's price for the same code-shared flights was about $20 cheaper. I guess if you will be using a code-shared flight, it is important to check both websites. You can even get SW Rapid Rewards if you book through ATA's site.

How did you make out with customer service and the price drop???

Unfortunately, I didn't get around to calling AirTran again before the Web special was gone...prices are now the same as I paid. Truthfully, if the money would only come back to me as a credit - it wouldn't matter much as I live in Canada. AirTran doesn't fly to any Cdn destinations, I don't live near the border and hubby and I don't have any further trips planned in the next year (which I think is how long the credit would be good for?).

Oh well, next time maybe I just won't be quite so eager to book...

Archived