Tipping

jcool

If I pay my tipping now and I need to cancel do I lose my tipping money?

No, I do not think so.

Why would you pay tips in advance of your cruise experience?

How long until it sails?

Not sure about truth of this. John Herald wrote on his Facebook that this is not true.

Again, don't know for sure!

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app

They don't want the advance notice, because they grandfather everyone up to the night before the announcement. This happened last time there was a tip increase, as it also came from a PVP, denied, then increased anyway to everyone's chagrin.

Also happened with the liquor increase. That was denied as well, and then prices increased.

Caveat emptor.

The tips have already been raised a few times in the past couple of years.

I always prepay my tips so that the bill doesn't seem worse at the end of the cruise. You only pay a deposit until the full balance is required and after that the cruise is non-refundable anyway, so there is no down side of paying ahead.

As per the senior beards at Carnival quote

“We have had no discussions to increase our gratuities “.

Here are the amounts.

The total amount is $12.00 per guest, per day and the breakdown is as follows:

• Stateroom service team $3.90 per day

• Dining room service team $6.10 per day

• Alternative services team* $2.00 per day

As per the senior beards at Carnival quote

“We have had no discussions to increase our gratuities “.

Here are the amounts.

The total amount is $12.00 per guest, per day and the breakdown is as follows:

• Stateroom service team $3.90 per day

• Dining room service team $6.10 per day

• Alternative services team* $2.00 per day

Who's quote?

Here is tip fact:

Carnival's tip withholding is only 95 cents lower for a standard cabin than Celebrity X, even if it is not raised within the next 90 days on Carnival.

The tips have already been raised a few times in the past couple of years.

I always prepay my tips so that the bill doesn't seem worse at the end of the cruise. You only pay a deposit until the full balance is required and after that the cruise is non-refundable anyway, so there is no down side of paying ahead.

It doesn't make sense to us to pay hundreds of dollars in service tips 3-6 months in advance. We lose the financial (interest or investment) usefulness of the money for 6 months.

Edited by eponym

It doesn't make sense to us to pay hundreds of dollars in service tips 3-6 months in advance. We lose the financial (interest or investment) usefulness of the money for 6 months.

But you don't pay the tips 3-6 months ahead. You only pay when final payment is due. You tell the PVP you want to prepay tips but they don't do it right then and there. It is added to the entire bill which is not due until 60 days before but whatever works for you is the way to go

Exactly "realistically" how much are you making on that ~$200 for 3-6 months in advance. As far as that goes do you book in advance as well? Surely you would lose more on the several thousand that you are paying 3-6 months in advance there.

But you don't pay the tips 3-6 months ahead. You only pay when final payment is due. You tell the PVP you want to prepay tips but they don't do it right then and there. It is added to the entire bill which is not due until 60 days before but whatever works for you is the way to go

OK, well, that is another way to do it.

Exactly "realistically" how much are you making on that ~$200 for 3-6 months in advance. As far as that goes do you book in advance as well? Surely you would lose more on the several thousand that you are paying 3-6 months in advance there.

We don't do it, was my point.

Or $400, or more depending how many family we bring. Returns vary. Up to 6 months, I should have indicated.

I only pay what they require in order to secure the booking in the schedule they require to be completed.

Edited by eponym

RCCL raised their tips to what?

NCL raised their tips to what?

Ranges from $.95 per person a day increase to $1.25 per person a day in suites, increased drink prices as well.

Edited by jimbo5544

Ranges from $.95 per person a day increase to $1.25 per person a day in suites, increased drink prices as well.

Makes their PPPD for standard cabin tip witholding rates what amount?

Sure it does. I lost maybe about a dollar in interest income by prepaying my NCL tips 3 months ago for my June cruise but saved $27 in increased tips costs. Makes perfect sense.