port questions

holidayhelen

Hello - looking at a far east cruise and could do with help on a few ports.

Laem Chabang - don't really want to go to Bangkok - any suggestions for anywhere else to go?

Phu My - Does it still take hours to get to HCMC? Anyone suggest anything else?

Chan May - Not sure what is near here - any help?

Hanoi - Itinerary says Hanoi - but I am sure it is a few hours inland - so is it nearer Ha Long Bay? Have to say Ha Long is on my wish list

Anyone recommend any private tours?

Any help would be appreciated really

Thanks in advance

H

hello - looking at a far east cruise and could do with help on a few ports.

laem chabang - don't really want to go to bangkok - any suggestions for anywhere else to go?

Surprised you don't want to go to bangkok, it's well worth a visit.

But three suggestions............

- pattaya is a resort about 30 to 40 minutes away. No public transport, pre-book a car over the internet if anyone's willing to accept a booking for such a short distance, or take a taxi (you can probably share with like-mindeds) available at the pier - they're in a cartel and will squeeeeeze as much as they can out of you, but for that distance it's not a big deal. The place is ok daytime, a bit seedy at night - google walking street, pattaya. (did i say "a bit" seedy? :d

- there's an elephant park about the same distance. Don't know it, hopefully others do.

- about 2 hours away (same distance as bangkok, slightly different direction) are the twin destinations of the summer palace - a variety of pavilions in very attractive grounds, and ayutthaya - the original capital of (?siam?), easiest to describe as a mini version of angkor wat / siem reap. If you choose this, fix up transport in advance over the 'net with a well-reviewed transfer or tour operator, because otherwise the cartel at the port will rip you off royally.

phu my - does it still take hours to get to hcmc? Anyone suggest anything else?

nowadays about 90 minutes due to good new roads. Anywhere else worthwhile such as cu chi or the mekong are beyond saigon. If your ship overnites, consider a saigon hotel - inexpensive, avoids the double-shuffle from the port, gives you an evening in the city.

chan may - not sure what is near here - any help?

hoi an (would be my choice) plus subject to time marble mountain & china beach en-route.

Or hue. In the opposite direction

hanoi - itinerary says hanoi - but i am sure it is a few hours inland - so is it nearer ha long bay? Have to say ha long is on my wish list

yes, hanoi is about 3 to 4 hours inland from ha long bay. Probably only worth doing on a ship's overnite excursion. Yes, ha long bay is worthy of anyone's wish-list. Either at least a 6 or preferably 8 hour junk cruise or an overnite junk cruise. Pros & cons for each.

anyone recommend any private tours?

can't help at all with this. We always wing-it with vans at the ports.

any help would be appreciated really

thanks in advance

h

jb :)

Edited by John Bull

Thanks for your prompt reply. We are not bothered by Bangkok as we have already been there and stayed there a few nights. It is the only overnight on the cruise.

So HCMC will be a day trip - sure last time we were there we visited somewhere near the port -

Thanks again for your help

H

• 2 weeks later...
Hello - looking at a far east cruise and could do with help on a few ports.

My wife and I were on the Millennium in this area last November

Laem Chabang - don't really want to go to Bangkok - any suggestions for anywhere else to go?

If you enjoy gardens, check out Nong Nooch - they have a vast range of plants, and several shows of interest - and it is only about a 40 minute drive from the port.

Phu My - Does it still take hours to get to HCMC? Anyone suggest anything else?

As a previous poster said, about 90 minute trip one way. We used the ship's "on your own" tour to get us there and back. We joined a private food tour for six that was organized through CC chat - the tour company was saigonstreeteats.com. Wonderful tour - started off with a typical Vietnamese breakfast of noodle soup with beef or chicken in a small, clean local restaurant. Then we strolled through a couple of markets - checking out all kinds of fruits, vegetables, seafood, etc. - whenever, we expressed an interest in something, our tour guide had his helper purchase some while we walked on to other stalls. Midway through our walk, we stopped at a sidewalk stall that sold a combination of sugarcane juice and kumquat juice - they had a press to squeeze the sugarcane, so it was very fresh. We used the juice mixture to wash down some BBQ ribs that our guide had purchased. Later on, as we were walking through more of the market, we were given coconuts with straws to enjoy some fresh coconut milk. Towards the end of the tour, we stopped at a park near one of the temples. As our guide took us through the temple, his assistants set up a picnic lunch in the park - which we thoroughly enjoyed!

Chan May - Not sure what is near here - any help?

Used anntours.com for a trip to Hue. They did an excellent job. Although meals were extra, they stopped at an excellent Vietnamese restaurant, with a French influence, for a wonderful, reasonably priced luncheon.

Hanoi - Itinerary says Hanoi - but I am sure it is a few hours inland - so is it nearer Ha Long Bay? Have to say Ha Long is on my wish list

We joined a CC organized group of 16 that chartered on overnight junk for about 200 USD per person - using Indochina Junk Cruises - we chartered one of the three Dragon Pearl junks that can hold up to 20 people, but had it exclusively for just our group of 16. Tour included wonderful food: lunch and dinner on the first day and breakfast and lunch on the second. In addition to the wonderful scenery, we enjoyed several included activities: a cave tour, kayaking, swimming, a rowboat tour to a floating fishing village and a stop at a cultured pearl farm. Our cabins were small, but included our private bathroom with a shower. Highly recommend it.

Note: their standard priced tours include roundtrip travel from Hanoi. So for a local charter, our group leader had to negotiate a lower price that included just a small roundtrip between the ship's tender dock and another dock from which the junk leaves.

And Indochina Junk Cruises was very understanding of our timing requirement to make sure that we returned well before the last tender was scheduled to leave.

Anyone recommend any private tours?

Any help would be appreciated really

Thanks in advance

H

Larry

Edited by NantahalaCruiser