First time on PG Cruise, Relax or Explore ?

livinthedream2016

First timers on PG and first time to FP. We're going on Society and Cook Island cruise. Lot's of excursions offered on the cruise, but not really sure how much to do. Any suggestions of what not to miss ? Should we go on our own and explore or stick with a group trip ? Love to snorkel but after a few islands I might want something else to do. Thank you for all your help :)

I would recommend one shore excursion a day. The island tours are a blast. We did the helmet dives in moorea and it was surprisingly fun. (I am a certified diver, so I was skeptical.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are going to the Cook island you will have two days at sea and Motu Mahana to rest. I would make sure you would pack in a mixture of land and ocean based activities on the rest of the days.

Bora Bora for example would be a delight both on land or sea. The helicopter or safari excursion would give you lovely views of the island. The half day Maohi Nui excursion would circumnavigate the island as well as give you some snorkelling and water based activities. That should give you time to enjoy the free Motu for a few hours.

Would suggest that you rent a car in Moorea. You can drive to the agricultural farm, juice place, belvedere and also to Temae beach. or if you prefer hotel facilities you can visit Le Tipanniers or the Hilton for the day.

Aitutaki lagoon cruise and Motu picnic is a must do.

I agree a mix of water and land is good. Relax by all means but being in this unique environment you definitely want to get out and see it.

We usually use ships tours, private if somebody else organized them[emoji5] ! We've only ever rented a car on Moorea, and that is fun.

We're also doing the Cooks this fall so I wonder about renting one in Rarotonga.

A mix of activity and rest ....

IMO ...

Huahine - water or land

Tahaa - land at Motu Mahana

Sea day #1 - relax on board

Aitutaki - water activitiy

Rarotonga - land activity

Sea day #2 - relax on board

Bora Bora - water one day, land the other day

Moorea - land activities

Best island for lagoon tour and beach BBQ - Bora Bora

Best islands to rent a car and see stuff on your own - Moorea or Rarotonga

Best island for land activities - Moorea (ATV or 4X4 excursions)

We are also on this trip and were wondering the same things.

Big Kahuna, you've been so helpful in our planning - how easy is it to rent a car on Rarotonga?

There are at least three rental places including AVIS on the island. I know two are walking distance from the tender drop off.

Raro Cars is another company I remember and they have a Facebook page.

It's pretty easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are also on this trip and were wondering the same things.

Big Kahuna, you've been so helpful in our planning - how easy is it to rent a car on Rarotonga?

I've used them all. Prices are similar ....

However, Island Car and Bike Hire will actually meet you at the tender drop off location. If you rent from the others they want you to walk into town, not a biggie but still a 1/2 walk next to what can be a busy morning street if it's a weekday.

The rate quoted in the attachment is in NZD, about $40 USD. The car rental company will add about $5 USD to pre-pay your 1 day drivers licence. So the total cost is about $45 USD.

enquiries@islandcarhire.co.ck

I've attached info

car.JPG.dfd7353c0f5225e03199b118c1f7757c.JPG

Thanks so much for this. Y'all are the best!!

I've been making some progress with our plans - this is so helpful. So far...

We are staying 3 nights pre cruise at the IC - Moorea - have a car rental for 1 of the days

Huahine - got confirmation yesterday for Marc's combo

Aitutaki - ship's Lagoon Cruise

Rarotonga - will book car rental and see the sights on our own

Bora Bora - have request in for Maohi Nui - but haven't heard back yet - 2nd day will probably go to the private beach

Moorea - since we will have already been there for 3 days will figure out what we missed - 2nd day probably get a day pass at the Hilton

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Looking forward to meeting you, Livinthedream

There are at least three rental places including AVIS on the island. I know two are walking distance from the tender drop off.

Raro Cars is another company I remember and they have a Facebook page.

It's pretty easy.

I am only able to reserve manual cars!!! I want an automatic...Is this possible? Any tips on how to do this on Raratonga, Moorea, and Tahiti?

If you like to hike consider the trail of the three coconuts. It is rigorous and fairly steep, I would not say hard. You do need to be in good shape. But you climb one of the mountains, and will have absolutely stunning views. I will post some pictures from ours when I get a chance. I am not a big hiker, but my wife LOVES to hike. She asked me to go. I am so happy that I did. I was able to get some amazing pictures from the top of the mountain of the PG in the motu.

Edited by elcid79

I am only able to reserve manual cars!!! I want an automatic...Is this possible? Any tips on how to do this on Raratonga, Moorea, and Tahiti?

Very difficult task. Best bet is AVIS. Don't know about Rarotonga but on Tahiti and MOOREA they do have automatics but they are extremely limited and need to be reserved far in advance. Best bet is to contact the local offices and not through the general AVIS website.

I checked a few local rental places, some are connected with national companies. I choose a few dates in the later part of July. Had no problem renting a car with an automatic on Tahiti, Moorea or Rarotonga. The selection is a bit more limited but they were available.

This is where an experienced South Pacific TA is so valuable. If you have never been there it's so important to have someone you can just tell what you want and let they figure it out for you. Sure there are forums and people who share but in certain cases you can't replace an experienced TA.

Very difficult task. Best bet is AVIS. Don't know about Rarotonga but on Tahiti and MOOREA they do have automatics but they are extremely limited and need to be reserved far in advance. Best bet is to contact the local offices and not through the general AVIS website.

Thank you!!! I will see if I can find a website or email to contact them