coach to southampton from northwest

trinitytrees

Hi we have done FO cruise before and travelled by coach to port with Battersby coaches, we were thinking of booking another cruise for July but when I checked battersby coaches not doing transfers, but shows portlink with what seems a very expensive price for the journey. has anyone used them, am i reading the price wrong, any suggestions anyone?

thank you.

It does seem to be a little more expensive with Portlink - we're going on a cruise on Boudicca from Southampton next week and are being picked up from Preston (using Portlink). The cost was £104 each, for the return journey. A similar journey using Eavesway on a P&O cruise would be £84 each. So, £40 total difference for the two of us. I'll let you know when we return if there's any noticeable difference between the two services.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Trinitytrees,

Just back this afternoon. Portlink coach down to Southampton was a bit elderly, but it wasn't full so we each had a double seat. Picked up at more places than we've had before when using Eavesway (P&O) or Battersbys (Fred Olsen). But the journey was just as quick (or slow) as previously, the drivers were very pleasant, so I couldn't say there is much difference between any of them.

hth

JB

thanks for posting jammy bun. bit concerning coach was a bit older, i thought the change from battersbys might be because of newer coaches from portlink.

i notice you are from northwest, where did you pick up the coach, i couldnt see more pick up options obviously i didnt look close enough

glad you found them ok, hope you had a good holiday.

Fantastic holiday thanks!

The coach started at Preston (6:15am pick up), then picked up at Reebok Stadium Bolton, Trafford Centre Manchester, Knutsford Services on the M6, and Birmingham International. We also had a lunch stop, can't remember which services it was on the way there - on the way home it was Warwick Services. We arrived at the cruise terminal before 2pm.

The coach home was much more comfortable than the one that took us to the cruise, and once again was only half-full, so we had a double seat each.

It's a long journey, but easier than driving there yourself - we tried that once, and won't do it again, prefer to let someone else take the stress of the motorway driving.

JB

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

We are travelling from Morecambe to Dover, we are going by train which is costing 150 pounds return for 2 of us. We are also having our baggage delivered direct to the ship at Dover for 25 pounds each bag each way.

We found that this was the best for us because it leaves us free to arrange our own times and perhaps have a look around London, imagine not having to lug bags around!!

Hope it all goes as well as expected LOL

• 3 weeks later...
Hi there,

We are travelling from Morecambe to Dover, we are going by train which is costing 150 pounds return for 2 of us. We are also having our baggage delivered direct to the ship at Dover for 25 pounds each bag each way.

We found that this was the best for us because it leaves us free to arrange our own times and perhaps have a look around London, imagine not having to lug bags around!!

Hope it all goes as well as expected LOL

Hi

Could you please tell me who you are using to transport your cases to the ship.

Thanks

acmar

• 3 weeks later...

Hi My husband and I (sound like the queen) are traveling form Carnforth in Lancashire to Southampton the day before we sale and returning the day after we get back. we have booked with National Express through FO for a grand price of £37 each. Straight forward transfer from carnforth at 8.40am to birmingham 1 hours wiat and then on to southampton arriving at 5.25pm. long ride but realitively easy going and not much hassle cheap to. WE have done it before and travelled down using Battersby but they are not doing it now, we have also travelled on the train but had to transfer stations in london not to good with suitcases etc and im disabled and cant walk very far, all in all much better by this method. I could drive down in half the time but dont want the stress. good luck with your booking

There is a direct train from Manchester to Southampton with Cross Country trains, runs every hour ,you can pre book your seats .Red Spotted Hanky are a good company to book with.

People with disabilities can get a rail card, at the moment its £20 for a year,the card covers the holder and a carer and you both get a third off your ticket price.:)

Archived