Laundry - package or pay as you go

mjthecruiser

I don't think we will need to do too much laundry on board so I was wondering if anyone knows approximate prices for pay as you go. I want to choose the option that makes sense to us.

Get the package. Everyone who does will tell you it works out for the better. But I guess it depends on how long a cruise you are on and how long a late/post also. My last 10 day I figured that if I paid as I went I would have paid 3X what the package cost. I don't remember the cost of individual items but it's not cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you. I will buy the package. I am also coming from NJ. What do you recommend for getting to Papeete from NJ? Do you go to Los Angeles a day early? We got stuck in Austin overnight on our last trip to the coast and I thought we should leave some wiggle room. We are also planning to get to Papeete a couple of days early. I thought we would book the Intercontinental on our own.

Thank you. I will buy the package. I am also coming from NJ. What do you recommend for getting to Papeete from NJ? Do you go to Los Angeles a day early? We got stuck in Austin overnight on our last trip to the coast and I thought we should leave some wiggle room. We are also planning to get to Papeete a couple of days early. I thought we would book the Intercontinental on our own.

I miss the old days of the ATN non stop from JFK to PPT! Oh well.

Most times I fly to LAX a day early and spend a night in an airport hotel. Never ever will I try to make this trip all in one day. I always get to Tahiti a couple of days early!

Also depending on your PG cruise dates , if you are doing your own air, consider Hawaiian Airlines.

You can fly to Honolulu from Newark on United or JFK with Hawaiian then Hawaiian to Papeete. However Hawaiian only flies back and forth to Papeete on Saturdays. 2 years ago this was perfect for me. We spent a night in Honolulu before flying to Papeete and then had a few days at the Tahiti IC. Our cruise started on a Wednesday and ended in a Saturday so it worked out great. The all Hawaiian itinerary was also cheaper than ATN or Air France in and out of LAX! I don't know what you will find these days however.

Which cruise will you be on?

You also might want to consider getting the IHG credit card when they have a 70,000 or 80,000 point sign up bonus.

We are on the Sept 6, 2017 10 day cruise so Hawiian would work out. I am somewhat concerned that they only fly once a week in case there is a delay of some sort. I became more cautious after Hurricane Sandy.

Yeah no kidding!

At least if HA works out you get into Papeete with plenty of time to spare. If they have an issue I am sure they have plenty of extra planes. I doubt you would have weather issues in September. You are nowhere near cyclone season. If you have United points sometimes they have some good deals from EWR to HNL. Good luck planning.

When you look at HA look to EWR to PPT AND EWR to HNL THEN HNL to PPT. The latter was cheaper by $100!

The only drawback is you will have a long layover at HNL waiting to fly back home if you want non stops.

I was bored so I decided to do a mock booking using dates a couple of weeks before your trip as it's too early to book your flights. HA was $1615 round trip JFK-PPT. Air France was $1455 but you would get in the morning of the cruise - to get there a few days earlier $100 more. ATN was even more - ATN and AF are LAX-PPT. Using United from EWR then HA was about $100 more - probably worth it not having to go to JFK! your PG air credit should be $!400-$!600

You get the idea!

Edited by twin123185

We like to fly into L.A. the day before we fly. But then we have relatives there, so we have a way of using our time, and they're good about driving us to the airport in time for our flight. We usually fly Air France because the Premium Economy product suits our pocket book. They only fly three times a week, so that dictates the length of our pre-cruise and post-cruise.

What days does Air France fly to Papeete?

At the moment, they fly out on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays, at night. They fly back to LAX on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays during the day. So they fly westbound one day, and fly back eastbound the next day.

And of course, in the case of westbound, they arrive the next morning, early.

We try to plan our adventures so that we can spend a few days in the islands before the cruise starts.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Where will you be going next year, Wendy?

Have you heard of the very small resort in Tahaa that has only 8 or 9 villas?

Not sure yet. I think I did look at the Taha'a resort--can't remember the name. Probably back to Moorea, we'll see how the prices are. We'd be happy to go back to Les Tipaniers. We had a beach bungalow booked there for this December, before we cancelled, luck of the draw that.

• 2 months later...

My wife and I have reserved the laundry package for our upcoming cruise based on the reviews we have read. Is there a limit to amount of clothing requested to be laundered each day (e.g., limited to a specific bag size provided by cruise line)?

Thank you in advance for your responses.:confused:

Okay, I'm not convinced about the laundry package. I can't remember the laundry prices, but seem to recall they're fairly reasonable--does anyone have a list, or even examples? And what is the current price of the laundry package for an 11 night trip? (Or other length.)

I can't believe that if I get a few shirts done, plus perhaps a couple of pairs of capris, that I'll come out on top with the package. I'm not sending my underwear out for someone else to wash! And the package does not include drycleaning, does it?

Here's some info on laundry prices from PG:

https://www.pgcruises.com/faq?subjects=346#node548 for both cleaning and pressing.

No limit on items. This could be a big benny for those with active days, longer cruises, and/or with longer stays on either side.

Here's some info on laundry prices from PG:

https://www.pgcruises.com/faq?subjects=346#node548 for both cleaning and pressing.

No limit on items. This could be a big benny for those with active days, longer cruises, and/or with longer stays on either side.

Thanks for this, couldn't find it on the website. :)

So, from $2 for a t-shirt to $8/$11 for a suit (?), laundry and pressing. $199 for an 11-night package. So got to extrapolate the price of a men's shirt or women's shorts or pants, say $5 each? That's a lot of laundry to get done. Especially considering on my previous trips the most we ever had done was a single shirt and pants. I guess if we wanted to travel *really* light, this could be useful, but I doubt it, really. And of course, it doesn't include any drycleaning.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

• 1 month later...
Thanks for this, couldn't find it on the website. :)

So, from $2 for a t-shirt to $8/$11 for a suit (?), laundry and pressing. $199 for an 11-night package. So got to extrapolate the price of a men's shirt or women's shorts or pants, say $5 each? That's a lot of laundry to get done. Especially considering on my previous trips the most we ever had done was a single shirt and pants. I guess if we wanted to travel *really* light, this could be useful, but I doubt it, really. And of course, it doesn't include any drycleaning.

I'm thinking that $199 is pretty steep for what we'll need done. Guess I'll wash my dainties in the sink. :)

We were almost convinced to buy the laundry package, but for our 14 day cruise, it was too much money. As it turned out we only spent 23 dollars instead of the 249 dollars were were quoted. We had 2 carry on size bags (we checked one) and one large bag. We traveled from Florida to LA, stayed overnight, traveled to PPT and took the 14 night PG cruise to the Marquesas. On return, we did the red eye back to LA after a day room at the IC Tahiti, and a red eye back to Florida. Even though it was late Jan. and the first half of Feb, we didn't need clothes for cold weather. I had a sweater and a wind breaker and only used the sweater on the plane and the wind breaker in LA. So my clothes didn't weigh much or take up a lot of room. I washed a few undies and hung them in the shower along with my swimsuit, but otherwise had enough to last the 2 1/2 weeks. And I'm afraid of shrinkage as well. His clothes were bigger and weighed more so the laundry bill was for his shorts and T-shirts,, some undies and a pair of gym socks (that he wore on the flight over). Shorts were 3.50, T-shirts 3.00, undershorts and socks 1.50. We brought no jeans or coats, no sneakers or hiking boats (we wear socks and Teva sandals for the air travel and land excursions), no wet suits, no very dressy clothing, and didn't need any of them. We still had a carry on of clean clothes when we arrived back home in Florida.

I always wash or dry clean everything that's in our suitcases when we get home from a trip. Even if we didn't wear it, it still seems to need refreshing after being carried around in a suitcase for an extended period of time. If you're unlucky enough to have the little TSA note inside that says they searched your checked bag, remember that they used to same gloves on everyone's dirty clothes. Since I'm retired, I have plenty of time to do laundry when I get home. I drop the suitcases in the laundry room when we get home.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the laundry package last month and felt it was a good idea.

I dont mind paying for convenience, so it was worth it to me. Everyone is not the same.

This cruise was all about the water and everyday I was wet some kind of way. Either it rained or from an excursion. Also, I stayed in Tahiti 3 days before the cruise, so was very happy to get those clothes washed.

Also, i don't like the day old smell of wet clothes and don't want it near my clean clothes. Taking jumbo zip lock bags is good for packing to go home.

My wet items hung in the shower overnight and in the morning, prepared the laundry bag. If I had it ready by 9a, it came back that evening washed, folded and ironed. Loved it!:D

Packing was easy. I had a few dirty items that i put in a ziplock. Unpacking, easier. Everything put away quick. Threw the ziplock bag in the hamper. Done!

My husband and son kept the house pretty clean, thank goodness. So, i didnt have to deal with immediate chores. Also, that jetlag hit me like a ton of bricks.:o

If I didn't have the laundry package, them clothes wasn't getting washed anytime soon. I literally stayed in the bed for 2 days, before I started feeling like myself.:(

Also, you can pay as you go. Depending on what you're getting washed, it may be cheaper than purchasing the package.:)

Edited by Cruzinbabe06