Olympus TG-4 camera questions

Boboanne1

Hello all fellow cruisers!!! This is my first post here but I was hoping someone would be able to help me with my dilemma. From all of my reading it looks like the Olympus TG-4 camera is the waterproof camera I should get for my upcoming cruise. I'm now wondering about the additional Teleconverter & Fisheye Converter Lens. Are they worth it? Does anyone have experience using either of the lens and how did it work for them?

Thanks in advance,

Christy

I have the TG-4, as I wanted a small weather proof camera to replace my old Canon waterproof. So far I have taken it on an extended land trip in Scotland and just returned from a month in South America that included a cruise from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso.

I like the camera for snapshots. If the light is good you get very good quality pictures, but the quality seems to diminish as the light becomes less. It fits easily in a jacket pocket or just keep it tucked in the palm of your hand.

Today was a rare snow event here so I went for a walk and put on the teleconverter as I rarely remember to use it. Most shots were discards, with a few distant landscapes and sea birds that were decent - but it was a dull overcast day so the light was poor. The picture you take will be what you keep - if you crop you find that you lose detail quickly. My main camera is a Canon 5D which sets a very high standard and I am used to cropping and retaining quality. The teleconverter is just not a substitute for a real lens.

However, I don't like lugging lots of gear and when I travel I just want a few memories, so the TG-4 with the teleconverter in strong light is a reasonable combination. It worked well in the sunny areas of Argentina and Chile.

Installing the teleconverter is a bit of a pain when you are walking around. Once you get it screwed on, you have to go into the menu, find the accessories tab, then open it and select the lens you want to use, activate it and then back out of the menu - and remember to put the lens caps in a safe spot. I found that even though I had the teleconverter in my pocket I rarely put it on.

You will need a converter ring, which came bundled with my teleconverter. Occasionally when I try to remove the teleconverter, which has a screw mount, the ring detaches instead of the teleconverter unscrewing and you have to re-install the ring. More time consuming than annoying.

To conclude, I am glad I have it and will use it in certain good light situations, but would not miss it if I left it at home.

We bought our Olympus TG4 and the extra gear...fisheye, telephoto, micro lens, lens hood, filters and a monopod for our last cruise. Takes great pictures easy to use, durable above/below water.

Great features that make it easy to use. It has everything from indoor, outdoor, snow/beach, sunsets, night lighting, portrait, panoramic, food, documents, time lapse, microscope and composite or if you want it has a full range of manual settings.

The HD video is good. The micro lens has amazing closeup capability for flowers, bugs, jewelry etc.

I would say the we used the fisheye and monopod the most.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

We bought our Olympus TG4 and the extra gear...fisheye, telephoto, micro lens, lens hood, filters and a monopod for our last cruise. Takes great pictures easy to use, durable above/below water.

Great features that make it easy to use. It has everything from indoor, outdoor, snow/beach, sunsets, night lighting, portrait, panoramic, food, documents, time lapse, microscope and composite or if you want it has a full range of manual settings.

The HD video is good. The micro lens has amazing closeup capability for flowers, bugs, jewelry etc.

Stumpmr~ Thank you for the information. I was curious what you would use the most with this camera! I may go ahead and get a few of the extras you mentioned especially the fisheye lens!

Boboanne1,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I have been trying to post some pictures to the test site without any luck. I will attach a link some of my examples of what the camera is capable. The album has night, day, panoramic, and two pic's of standard and one telephoto of a ship sailing off into the sunset. All pictures were taken with the the fisheye lens/Polaroid CPL filter and monopod.

Here is te link:

https://goo.gl/photos/ZuLsP3bLeJy3dw7R7

I purchased all of products thru Amazon.. Note I bought everything but the close up ring.. The built in mircoscope function is great for tiny items which I use for work dealing with small injection molded parts.)

Here are the links to what I think are the essentials to get started.

Camera Pkg - Reviews state the Red frame is better in case you drop the camera and need to find it.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Camera-Polaroid-Accessory-Bundle/dp/B018EZSUSG/ref=pd_sbs_421_5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KT8V88JSRT8TQDMM64SB

Extra Batteries..nice charger and two batteries..video or transfering or GPS eats battery life.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008EX4EE8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fisheye

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMKONQ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Filter Pkg

https://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Optics-40-5mm-Filter-WARMING/dp/B0085YG30Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1486832317&sr=1-1&keywords=Polaroid+filters+40.5mm

Monopod

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WPTBAK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Monopod Fitting

https://www.amazon.com/Gosky-Degree-Ballhead-Monopod-Digital/dp/B017N6Y08Q/ref=pd_sim_421_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=23FH62AA0C4BDY778MX6

I did my research looking both at Sony and Panasonic but wanting removable lens (old school) teh TG4 was the best solution. There are several great You-Tube reviews for the TG4 which show all supporting equipment and functions.

I hope this helps..happy cruising and photo shooting.

Boboanne1,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I have been trying to post some pictures to the test site without any luck. I will attach a link some of my examples of what the camera is capable. The album has night, day, panoramic, and two pic's of standard and one telephoto of a ship sailing off into the sunset. All pictures were taken with the the fisheye lens/Polaroid CPL filter and monopod.

Here is te link:

https://goo.gl/photos/ZuLsP3bLeJy3dw7R7

I purchased all of products thru Amazon.. Note I bought everything but the close up ring.. The built in mircoscope function is great for tiny items which I use for work dealing with small injection molded parts.)

Here are the links to what I think are the essentials to get started.

Camera Pkg - Reviews state the Red frame is better in case you drop the camera and need to find it.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Camera-Polaroid-Accessory-Bundle/dp/B018EZSUSG/ref=pd_sbs_421_5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KT8V88JSRT8TQDMM64SB

Extra Batteries..nice charger and two batteries..video or transfering or GPS eats battery life.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008EX4EE8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fisheye

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMKONQ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Filter Pkg

https://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Optics-40-5mm-Filter-WARMING/dp/B0085YG30Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1486832317&sr=1-1&keywords=Polaroid+filters+40.5mm

Monopod

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WPTBAK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Monopod Fitting

https://www.amazon.com/Gosky-Degree-Ballhead-Monopod-Digital/dp/B017N6Y08Q/ref=pd_sim_421_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=23FH62AA0C4BDY778MX6

I did my research looking both at Sony and Panasonic but wanting removable lens (old school) teh TG4 was the best solution. There are several great You-Tube reviews for the TG4 which show all supporting equipment and functions.

I hope this helps..happy cruising and photo shooting.

Thank you for all of this great information!!! The bundle has been purchased and will be here on Monday!

I am looking for a new camera before I go snorkling in Alaska. How does the Olympus do underwater? Sounds like the depressed light level might be a problem.

Also, it sounds like the TG-4 is nearly identical to the TG-3. Is this the case? Might be able to save a few bucks if there is little loss in capabilities.

Cruzinchad,

Here is a You-tube video for the TCON T01 lens.

and overall review>

I will need to look at my cruise pictures to see which ones were taken with the TCON... I used the FCON more on the trip.

Here is a sample of the FCON capabilities. The picture is of a cruise ship at sunset taken one zoomed in and out.

We were heading back from St Johns to St Thomas US V.I.

sAcEo55HH5QivZct6

Cruzinchad,

Here is a You-tube video for the TCON T01 lens.

and overall review>

I will need to look at my cruise pictures to see which ones were taken with the TCON... I used the FCON more on the trip.

Here is a sample of the FCON capabilities. The picture is of a cruise ship at sunset taken one zoomed in and out.

We were heading back from St Johns to St Thomas US V.I.

sAcEo55HH5QivZct6

Thanks for the reply & the links the pic of the ship hasn't attached

I have a TG4 and I disagree with your statement that it has a full range of manual settings. It does not have a setting where you can set your time, aperture and ISO manually. This camera is (what I would call) an enhanced point and shoot. What it does have, unlike other P&S cameras, is a aperture mode. In its aperture mode, the camera usually gives you 3 choices and you choose the one that best suits your needs.

I do agree that this is a nice little (fits in your pocket or purse) camera; especially in places where you don't want to take your DSLR......such as the beach, ocean, pool, rainy day, places where you can't or don't want to carry a full size camera, etc. So, add my yes for this camera, it can do a lot for its size.

I have a TG4 and I disagree with your statement that it has a full range of manual settings. It does not have a setting where you can set your time, aperture and ISO manually. This camera is (what I would call) an enhanced point and shoot. What it does have, unlike other P&S cameras, is a aperture mode. In its aperture mode, the camera usually gives you 3 choices and you choose the one that best suits your needs.

I do agree that this is a nice little (fits in your pocket or purse) camera; especially in places where you don't want to take your DSLR......such as the beach, ocean, pool, rainy day, places where you can't or don't want to carry a full size camera, etc. So, add my yes for this camera, it can do a lot for its size.

The "A" function will allow you to manually change the Aperture.. And C1 & C2 will allow ISO 100 - 6400 changes.

I agree it is not a DSLR but it has more options than other P&S.

I just have to say that I love the Olympus Tough cameras. I started out with a TG 620. Loved it so much that I got a 830 as a back up. I stopped taking my DSLR on cruises because I was so impressed with the quality and various settings on the pictures that it just wasn't worth the hassle of taking my huge camera, lens and everything else on vacation.

I recently purchased a TG4 and LOVE LOVE LOVE this camera. I also bought the fish eye lens and it is AMAZING! IMO! I did my last cruise with the fish eye on the entire time and loved the results. I use all of my cameras (and even recently bought another 620 for my 8 year old who loves snorkeling and diving and now she'll have her own for vacations). The "only" thing I can say (that I'll know better next time) is that with the fish eye on in the water, the pictures were a little darker than what they are without the lens on. However, you can compensate for this by simply adjusting the exposure. I will do this next time.

If you are interested in seeing the awesome pictures this camera takes, check out my most recent review (NCL Epic), that is listed in my signature line. It was done with the TG4 and the fish eye on the entire time. I have plenty of snorkeling and scuba pictures within the review. I can't say it enough...this camera amazes me. :D

Here are photos from the TG4 using the 3 lens options. Std lens FCON, TCON-T01 & FCON-T01.

Each lens have low & high Zoom photos with the camera set at landscape auto setting.

aHskPbhE45

Sorry everyone for the broken photo links... I have tried attaching photos using google photos, flicker and shutterfly.. Each link oriniganlly works but then breaks later.. The photo file sizes are to large to attach individually > 19Kb so the fttp// is the only option.

The "A" function will allow you to manually change the Aperture.. And C1 & C2 will allow ISO 100 - 6400 changes.

I agree it is not a DSLR but it has more options than other P&S.

Since you read my post you I am sure you saw that I stated that the Aperture mode usually gave you 3 choices to choose from......I have on occasion been given only 2 choices. So you do have a choice as to what aperture you want to use.

The Aperture (A function) mode and the Program (P function) mode both allow you to change the 'ISO' and 'Exposure Compensation'. This does give you more control over your exposure.

Stumpmr, I think you and I just have a different view of what 'manual' means, but we do agree that the TG4 is a good product and does a lot for a P&S.

From reading this form, I get the impression that many of the people here prefer using Aperture (A function) mode and that works great for them. I, on the other hand, is in that group (be it smaller) that prefers to use Manual (M function) mode. This is where one has full control of the exposure used and I am more comfortable using that.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought the fisheye and it takes these funny little circular pictures. Is that what it is supposed to do? Maybe I need to open the aperture or something?

I just bought the fisheye and it takes the funniest little round pictures. Is it supposed to do that? Am I doing something wrong?

I just bought the fisheye and it takes the funniest little round pictures. Is it supposed to do that? Am I doing something wrong?

Make sure you change the lens settings to FCON-T01. Camera Menu 2 (pg 41/42 owners manual) and then change Conversion lens to FCON-T01 (pg 46 owners manual.)