Debating 1st DCL Cruise -- Fantasy

sagosto63

My family consists of 2 adults (38/35) and a 2.5 year old and another infant ETA early November. We've been on 2 Carnival, 1 Princess, and 4 RC cruises (in that order) including Oasis and Anthem (May 2017). My 2.5 year old was on her first cruise (Oasis) for her 1st birthday and had a blast. We typically lean towards RC as we prefer the bigger ships and feel the line has the perfect blend of ship/activities/dining/luxury/etc. The newer RC ships also have a pool for swim diapers and have day care so it made more sense at the time. We are debating a Spring 2018 cruise when the baby will be barely 6 months and my oldest 3.5 years old. We started to look at RC again but, we are HUGE Disney fans and it might be time for the splurge. These questions are probably asked all the time but a fresh perspective will help us. Thanks in advance.

1) We typically stay in balcony rooms but not sure if 4 will be pushing it but it is probably doable. Suite prices for Disney skyrocket past the already higher priced balcony rooms. Aside from the extra space, I don't understand the increase price point?

2) Is there any confirmed information regarding the new ships? I am debating on waiting if it makes sense.

3) Does Fantasy need refurbishing?

4) Fantasy has Wifi packages based on data usage? Is that per phone or account? Disney/Little Einsteins is a life saver for us...

5) Land & Sea Packages - This is a personal preference but I typically am an all-or-nothing person. We went to Disney World in Oct 2017 for 5 days and I was not happy as I was just enjoying the experience and we had to go. I am concerned I will feel the same way about the cruise if we do Land & Sea Package. Curious what others think...

1) The difference between a balcony cabin and a suite is space and concierge service (yes, you can book a cat V which is a regular cat 4 cabin with concierge). For 2 adults and 2 little kids, a cabin for 4 is fine. DCL cabins set a new standard as to cabin size although the newer ships on other lines have been equalling them.

2) Only the scheduled debut dates. Be aware the the first season of any new DCL ship is typically very costly.

3) She is going into dry dock this spring. No, no refub that you can see is needed, but she needs her engine inspection and they will do some spiffing up at that time.

4)Yes, you can get 50mb FREE on embarkation day just by signing up. Then decide on the package you wish to purchase. Be sure that all apps on your devices are turned off.

5) It is a financially better deal to book the land and sea portions separately if you want to do both. DCL will happily book the whole thing for you, but at rack rate for the land portion. If you book separately, you can take advantage of any specials that might be available (like free dining, "buy 4, get 7" or whatever) on each portion of the trip. You can also do stuff like insure the cruise but not the land portion and save money that way. We often do this because my medical insurance doesn't cover outside the US....that's not a problem for us in Florida, but it is on the ship!

A thought--it costs less to cruise with a 2 year old than a 3, but if you wish to do any "adult only" time, you'll have to pay for the nursery. If you wait till the child is 3, all participation in the Oceaneer's Club is included in the cruise fare.

My family consists of 2 adults (38/35) and a 2.5 year old and another infant ETA early November. We've been on 2 Carnival, 1 Princess, and 4 RC cruises (in that order) including Oasis and Anthem (May 2017). My 2.5 year old was on her first cruise (Oasis) for her 1st birthday and had a blast. We typically lean towards RC as we prefer the bigger ships and feel the line has the perfect blend of ship/activities/dining/luxury/etc. The newer RC ships also have a pool for swim diapers and have day care so it made more sense at the time. We are debating a Spring 2018 cruise when the baby will be barely 6 months and my oldest 3.5 years old. We started to look at RC again but, we are HUGE Disney fans and it might be time for the splurge. These questions are probably asked all the time but a fresh perspective will help us. Thanks in advance.

1) We typically stay in balcony rooms but not sure if 4 will be pushing it but it is probably doable. Suite prices for Disney skyrocket past the already higher priced balcony rooms. Aside from the extra space, I don't understand the increase price point?

2) Is there any confirmed information regarding the new ships? I am debating on waiting if it makes sense.

3) Does Fantasy need refurbishing?

4) Fantasy has Wifi packages based on data usage? Is that per phone or account? Disney/Little Einsteins is a life saver for us...

5) Land & Sea Packages - This is a personal preference but I typically am an all-or-nothing person. We went to Disney World in Oct 2017 for 5 days and I was not happy as I was just enjoying the experience and we had to go. I am concerned I will feel the same way about the cruise if we do Land & Sea Package. Curious what others think...

1) Suites are typically Concierge level. There are more perks (private lounge/private sun deck/private character meet/etc) for booking Concierge.

2) Not sure what type of information you're looking for. The new ships aren't going to be here for several years, but they're supposed to be similar in size to the Dream class ships.

3) Fantasy is going in for a dry dock in April this year.

4) You sign up (and pay) for internet packages (per MB) by room, as far as I know.

5) No real Land & Sea packages as they had in the past. But, you can book short stays at a WDW resort through DCL. Typically, it's better to book each segment separately. You get better choices for room/resort/menu deals/etc by booking them independently. A short cruise (anything less than 7 nights) is typically too short for many people to feel like they enjoyed it "all". But I will point out that even if you book a 14 night cruise, you're not going to be able to do it all.

Thank you for the fast reply.

1) The difference between a balcony cabin and a suite is space and concierge service (yes' date=' you can book a cat V which is a regular cat 4 cabin with concierge). For 2 adults and 2 little kids, a cabin for 4 is fine. DCL cabins set a new standard as to cabin size although the newer ships on other lines have been equalling them.[/quote']

Why mention the CAT V vs. CAT IV? It sounds like balcony will be fine but concierge service is intriguing depending on the price point. I did a quick google (http://blog.touringplans.com/2014/11/11/10-things-know-concierge-staterooms-disney-cruise-line) and found some of the benefits. I didn't see much on Disney's website to promote this which I found odd.

2) Only the scheduled debut dates. Be aware the the first season of any new DCL ship is typically very costly.

Good point. Not enough data to decide to even wait.

3) She is going into dry dock this spring. No' date=' no refub that you can see is needed, but she needs her engine inspection and they will do some spiffing up at that time.

[/quote']

Before May sailings that we are considering? CruiseCritic indicating it was the last to be refurbished so I was considered it was dated.

4)Yes, you can get 50mb FREE on embarkation day just by signing up. Then decide on the package you wish to purchase. Be sure that all apps on your devices are turned off.

Good. Does the package per device or shared?

5) It is a financially better deal to book the land and sea portions separately if you want to do both. DCL will happily book the whole thing for you' date=' but at rack rate for the land portion. If you book separately, you can take advantage of any specials that might be available (like free dining, "buy 4, get 7" or whatever) on each portion of the trip. You can also do stuff like insure the cruise but not the land portion and save money that way. We often do this because my medical insurance doesn't cover outside the US....that's not a problem for us in Florida, but it is on the ship![/quote']

We have family member pricing but they aren't too familiar with the cruises. I could just book 2 separate packages together anyway I can to take advantage. I could do the 5 day cruise and then a 7 day WDW vacation.

1) Suites are typically Concierge level. There are more perks (private lounge/private sun deck/private character meet/etc) for booking Concierge.

2) Not sure what type of information you're looking for. The new ships aren't going to be here for several years, but they're supposed to be similar in size to the Dream class ships.

3) Fantasy is going in for a dry dock in April this year.

4) You sign up (and pay) for internet packages (per MB) by room, as far as I know.

5) No real Land & Sea packages as they had in the past. But, you can book short stays at a WDW resort through DCL. Typically, it's better to book each segment separately. You get better choices for room/resort/menu deals/etc by booking them independently. A short cruise (anything less than 7 nights) is typically too short for many people to feel like they enjoyed it "all". But I will point out that even if you book a 14 night cruise, you're not going to be able to do it all.

I guess I just need to decide RC vs Fantasy/Dream (depending on Land & Sea). The huge increase in price gives me pause.

I need to research the pros for Concierge and see if the non-suite Concierge is available. Also, are Dream/Fantasy nearly similar? Cruise Critic review indicates Fantasy is very similar but the small changes make a bit difference.

Categories 4,5,6, and 7 are balconies that sleep 3-4 people. There are differences among these, but that's not what you are asking. A cat V is a cabin that would otherwise be a cat 4 but has added the perks of concierge service. It is the same type of cabin as a cat 4 but is categorized with the letter V to indicate that it is a concierge cabin.

The Fantasy is the last to be refurbished because it is the newest ship. It will have its first dry dock in April, scheduled for 2 weeks, I think.

Internet packages are per ID. I know my daughter could use her phone or computer. Also, there are reports of each person in a cabin being able to sign up for the free 50mb. Never tried it personally, but I've read that it happens regularly.

Categories 4' date='5,6, and 7 are balconies that sleep 3-4 people. There are differences among these, but that's not what you are asking. A cat V is a cabin that would otherwise be a cat 4 but has added the perks of concierge service. It is the same type of cabin as a cat 4 but is categorized with the letter V to indicate that it is a concierge cabin.

The Fantasy is the last to be refurbished because it is the newest ship. It will have its first dry dock in April, scheduled for 2 weeks, I think.

Internet packages are per ID. I know my daughter could use her phone or computer. Also, there are reports of each person in a cabin being able to sign up for the free 50mb. Never tried it personally, but I've read that it happens regularly.[/quote']

You have been very helpful. I read a few of the concierge benefits and the wife is very interested. She is looking into the suites now... I guess I need to read more and just decide.

Concierge perks are nice but the cost is really high. Good luck with your decisions.

Thank you. At least I don't think I can make a mistake. Wife doesn't like the simple 5 day so we might do the 7 day and a 6 day WDW mega-vacation. Life is short so time to go big :)

The 6 month policy has been in effect for quite a while. You can always book it now and if the baby is late' date=' you can cancel for a full refund. I'm guessing mom wouldn't hear of leaving baby with grandma.[/quote']

No. We do everything as a family. And, I wouldn't leave the baby with either sets of grandparents. :)

No. We do everything as a family. And, I wouldn't leave the baby with either sets of grandparents. :)

Fair enough...but you still have plenty of time after the birthday to realize that you are or are not a full 6 months before the cruise date and cancel if needed. However, that's a reason to not book concierge--concierge bookings are not refundable. What you can do is to book a normal balcony cabin and then upgrade to concierge if you wish. In that case, you will have locked in your booking tier (rate)...do not believe the concierge rate on line. You have to call them and ask what the rate would be for you to upgrade to concierge IF one is still available.

Fair enough...but you still have plenty of time after the birthday to realize that you are or are not a full 6 months before the cruise date and cancel if needed. However' date=' that's a reason to not book concierge--concierge bookings are not refundable. What you can do is to book a normal balcony cabin and then upgrade to concierge if you wish. In that case, you will have locked in your booking tier (rate)...do not believe the concierge rate on line. You have to call them and ask what the rate would be for you to upgrade to concierge IF one is still available.[/quote']

I typically book WDW with the family rate but not sure how that applies to DCL. For cruises, I typically use *************.com so I am in unknown territory here. They typically use the cruise line cancellation policy though.

I typically book WDW with the family rate but not sure how that applies to DCL. For cruises, I typically use *************.com so I am in unknown territory here. They typically use the cruise line cancellation policy though.

As you can see above, the site you listed is not permitted to be listed on the boards. I would not deal with any agency that had its own cancelation policy over what DCL's policy is! The bottom line on cancelations with DCL is that there is a penalty date for each cruise depending on length of cruise, port of origin, etc. For Caribbean cruises out of Port Canaveral, it is usually 75 days before embarkation. Cancel before that and you get a full refund for normal cabins. As I noted above, concierge cabins do not get a refund for a cancelation, but you are able to move the deposit once to a different date and or ship. When you book thru DCL, you are assigned to a "tier" which reflects the prices at the time of the booking. If you change categories for the same cruise, you keep your same tier. SO if you booked an inside cabin (hypothetically, I get that you book balconies) and you later increase to a balcony, you'll pay the rate that was in effect on the day of your originally booking. I believe the same thing applies to concierge upgrades.

Sorry, I know nothing about family rates on the cruises if you are cruising without the CM who can get you these rates. I do know a little about CM and TA rates, but these rates are not typically available till after the penalty date as they are used as a way to fill ships that are not selling out.

It was a bit of back and forth with the wife but we are going to do a balcony and use the saved money for a 8 day WDW vacation to the Polynesian for my birthday. It's a WIN/WIN all around. We watched a random youtube video for a Fantasy Tour and my 2.5 year old daughter said "I wanna go on Mickey's ship" so that sealed the deal. Any real difference between the "Deluxe" and the "Deluxe Family" balcony besides the bigger balcony? That appears to be just a basic bump out and the actual room size is the same.

On the Magic and Wonder, "family" is code for a cabin that will sleep 5, but that's not true on the Fantasy and Dream. The newer ships have more strange permutations on cabins--some with showers only that are not HA cabins (most have bathtub with shower in it), etc. I would either speak with a DCL CM who can look up the exact cabin(s) you are considering or a very experienced TA who will verify the info.

Sorry, I'm really good on different cabins on the classic ships, but we now need an HA cabin...so my experience in "normal" cabins on the newer ships is limited.