Advice needed! Le Spezia to Cinque Terre on our own-train/boat?

kadey

Could anyone help out with a little planning for our day?We will be in the port of Le Spezia Oct. 7. We have a nice long port day here! From what I've been reading it seems easy enough to do on our own but I still need some direction!

I'd like to take a cab to the train and take the train to the first town. Then we would like to do the rest of the towns by ferry. I have read conflicting dates on when the ferry stops running for the season. Can I take the train from the last town back to Le Spezia? If there are no ferry's that time of year do I take the train between the towns?

Any suggestions on how to handle the day would be appreciated!

The answer regarding the train is yes. The train spans the villages so not an issue jumping on the train to come back (or at any village). As to ferries (actually pretty small boats) you have to wait and see because besides the issue with the season ending you also have water conditions. We have been to the villages when the boats could not run because it was just too rough and windy. But it is not a problem playing it all by ear. Just take the train from La Spezia to Riomaggiore, stop at the tourist office for the lastest info, and plan your day accordingly. Just make sure you pick up the current train schedule so you can properly plan to get back.

Hank

Could anyone help out with a little planning for our day?We will be in the port of Le Spezia Oct. 7. We have a nice long port day here! From what I've been reading it seems easy enough to do on our own but I still need some direction!

I'd like to take a cab to the train and take the train to the first town. Then we would like to do the rest of the towns by ferry. I have read conflicting dates on when the ferry stops running for the season. Can I take the train from the last town back to Le Spezia? If there are no ferry's that time of year do I take the train between the towns?

We are there at the same time and are looking to do the same on our own day - organised tours are about €500 for two which seems extortionate . I found there is a shuttle to the port and station isn't far from there. I have read to get a train to Monterosso and work back towards La Spezia either by foot or train or ferry... need to do more homework. Will post here when if I found out what the best combination is. Also as the weather is unpredictable this way I can tailor our day to suit the conditions!

Edited by Lexiloo62

Hello

I did that sort of thing in October 2013, and made a video of it which can be found from the Italy playlist in my signature below, if that's of interest.

Due to the variables with the ferry (relatively infrequent and can be affected by weather) and because it's so much nicer than the train, I did ferry first (to Manarola and Vernazza) intending to walk to Monterrosso and take the train home. But it was raining and I was soaked so I came home from Vernazza on the train. However you do it, I wish you nicer weather than I had. All the best, Tony

Hello

I did that sort of thing in October 2013, and made a video of it which can be found from the Italy playlist in my signature below, if that's of interest.

Due to the variables with the ferry (relatively infrequent and can be affected by weather) and because it's so much nicer than the train, I did ferry first (to Manarola and Vernazza) intending to walk to Monterrosso and take the train home. But it was raining and I was soaked so I came home from Vernazza on the train. However you do it, I wish you nicer weather than I had. All the best, Tony

Thank you for your link to the videos.. will have a look at those for elsewhere too. Shame the weather was wet... we are there on the 7th October.. hope the weather will be better...

Thank you for your link to the videos.. will have a look at those for elsewhere too. Shame the weather was wet... we are there on the 7th October.. hope the weather will be better...

I hope so too. I had seen all the pics of the CT in glorious sunshine with the sea sparkling, but it was not to be. Never mind, I still enjoyed it very much and over the years have had more than my fair share of good fortune with the weather on the days I wanted it most.

Edited by Cornishpastyman1

We looked at this in detail last night and have definitely decided to do this on our own as opposed to an organised tour. Our plan is to get the train to Monterosso which takes about 30 mins. Then weave our way back to La Spezia. Need to sort out train times too.

Can I therefore ask help from those who have done it...

1. If we do all 5 villages - by train - ferry if the weather is ok - what is there in each village that should be a 'must not miss'.

2. Where is the best place to have a bite to eat.

3. If we only do it by train will miss out by not seeing it from the water - if so what would be the best mix of ferry/train stops. I know one village is in the hills...

The village up the hill is Corniglia. It is worth the effort to get there for the views and the friendly people. The train lets you off below and you can walk up a ziz zag path through the vineyards or apparently there is also a shuttle van to take you up.

We ate on an outside terrace overlooking the vineyards and the water. It was simply magical.

The village up the hill is Corniglia. It is worth the effort to get there for the views and the friendly people. The train lets you off below and you can walk up a ziz zag path through the vineyards or apparently there is also a shuttle van to take you up.

We ate on an outside terrace overlooking the vineyards and the water. It was simply magical.

Thank you... currently studying on the net as much as I can about the area to get the most of out it... I will add this to my list of "must do's"

We looked at this in detail last night and have definitely decided to do this on our own as opposed to an organised tour. Our plan is to get the train to Monterosso which takes about 30 mins. Then weave our way back to La Spezia. Need to sort out train times too.

Can I therefore ask help from those who have done it...

1. If we do all 5 villages - by train - ferry if the weather is ok - what is there in each village that should be a 'must not miss'.

2. Where is the best place to have a bite to eat.

3. If we only do it by train will miss out by not seeing it from the water - if so what would be the best mix of ferry/train stops. I know one village is in the hills...

Some great questions and information coming in. PLease keep it going!

Hi all.

We'll also be there on October 7th and we've decided dto do it ourselves.

My first idea was also to go first to Monterosso and then back by train and foot.

I 've 2 questions I would like to ask you:

- we'll be with our 4 years old daughter; do you think it's too much to try to get her to walk some path?

- is the CinqueTerre Card worth it?

Thank you all.

I was there late Aug. as a cruise pax (from Livorno:eek:) and hiked a section of the Blue Path (Senitiero Azzurro).

-- re CT cards, you have to buy pass to hike the Blue Path (7.5 Euro/adult, or 20/family), there are booths at beginning and end of trail in each town (I assume, I saw them at Monterroso and Vernazza) that sell them. There are also unlimited train ride cards for intra Ct travelling at 12 E/adult sold at train stations (I think you need to ride trains at least 6 times to breakeven).

-- Both riding boat and hiking at least part of the path are highly recommended to appreciate CT (train ride is not scenic).

-- while I did not hike the whole path - just b/w Monterroso and Vernazza (reputed to be the toughest section), I believe the section b/w Riomagiorre and Corniglia is the easiest. Each section b/w towns is 1.5-2 mile range. Even in my hike, which was challenging, I saw young children, senior citizens.

Here's a link about our hike/Ct visit (not sure it'll work):

https://danieltcyang.wordpress.com/unique-trails/cinque-terre-italy/

I was there late Aug. as a cruise pax (from Livorno:eek:) and hiked a section of the Blue Path (Senitiero Azzurro).

-- re CT cards, you have to buy pass to hike the Blue Path (7.5 Euro/adult, or 20/family), there are booths at beginning and end of trail in each town (I assume, I saw them at Monterroso and Vernazza) that sell them. There are also unlimited train ride cards for intra Ct travelling at 12 E/adult sold at train stations (I think you need to ride trains at least 6 times to breakeven).

-- Both riding boat and hiking at least part of the path are highly recommended to appreciate CT (train ride is not scenic).

-- while I did not hike the whole path - just b/w Monterroso and Vernazza (reputed to be the toughest section), I believe the section b/w Riomagiorre and Corniglia is the easiest. Each section b/w towns is 1.5-2 mile range. Even in my hike, which was challenging, I saw young children, senior citizens.

Here's a link about our hike/Ct visit (not sure it'll work):

https://danieltcyang.wordpress.com/unique-trails/cinque-terre-italy/

Thank you for this wonderful photos.

I plan on doing as Cornishpastyman1 did. Take the ferry first from La Spezia to Monterosso than work my way back by train. If the ferries aren't running in the morning I'll take the train first and get a second shot at the ferry on the way back.

Here is the schedule from October 2014. From what I've read they run fairly consistent year to year.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwrO8cDtfrshUHJVLVN2Z0E1Q1E/view?pli=1

This is the website I got the link from

http://www.apathtolunch.com/2014/06/complete-cinque-terre-portovenere-la.html

I plan on doing as Cornishpastyman1 did. Take the ferry first from La Spezia to Monterosso than work my way back by train. If the ferries aren't running in the morning I'll take the train first and get a second shot at the ferry on the way back.

Here is the schedule from October 2014. From what I've read they run fairly consistent year to year.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwrO8cDtfrshUHJVLVN2Z0E1Q1E/view?pli=1

This is the website I got the link from

http://www.apathtolunch.com/2014/06/complete-cinque-terre-portovenere-la.html

Brillant. Just the thing I've been looking for... probably following in your footsteps as we also plan to go to Monterosso and work our way back by land and sea.