Chankanaab scuba

Thanks for the links. I had read them but didn't see any info about scuba on the parks website and the dive shop listed in the two posts I can't find any recent info on. Has anyone done a shore dive there just showing up?

Last time we were there all we saw was snorkeling and they did have snuba guided groups. Didn't see anyone using scuba. You might get a better response on the Cozumel board. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=210

Reef is pretty dead in this area as well.

The tour boats generally go off of the all-inclusive resorts like Nachi and Mr Sanchos, but I wouldn't want to shore dive from there - way too much boat traffic between resorts and the reef. Easily swimable, but traffic is heavy and fast.

Last time @ Chankanaab we attempted to shore snorkel (we brought our own gear) the surf was so rough we aborted the dive. Was exhausting getting into the water and moving away from the shore. Then when exiting the water the surf was bashing us against the steps. Stupid, we should have aborted before getting into the water. Keep an eye on the conditions and judge for yourself. To misjudge could really mess you up.

Thanks for the links. I had read them but didn't see any info about scuba on the parks website and the dive shop listed in the two posts I can't find any recent info on. Has anyone done a shore dive there just showing up?

I have read about scuba operations here, but haven't done them yet. This is a case where the scuba board and the port of call board may be more helpful

I have done shore dives there 2 times in past year. You can just show up. They have equipment there for rent. You will be going out with a DM (both times it was 1 on 1). Cost was reasonable from what I remember.