What to do in Freeport?

cruisenovice2017

First time cruiser heading out the end of April on the Carnival Elation. Will be hitting Freeport, Nassau, and Half Moon Cay. Freeport is our first stop but we are there at a weird time, 1 p.m. - 7 p.m. I'm thinking we'll skip any beaches that day based on time of day but wasn't sure what all there is to do that is fairly close to the ship. Not sure how much I trust taxi/bus drivers but wasn't sure if there is much to do within walking distance of the port. Any help and advice is appreciated.

What beach did you go to?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I get out of the ship and turn right where the cars are parked and walk around it and the beach is there. It is beautiful. There are many coves you can walk to. Be careful. There are no life guards. I saw people snorkel. People said there are sharks in the water.

Here is where I walk:

http://www.mapmywalk.com/workout/2020308908

http://www.mapmywalk.com/workout/2020866893

We took a taxi to the straw market then walked behind the police station to a beautiful beach. It was a great day. Our ship was only there from 7 am to 2 pm so it was perfect. Only cost was the taxi to/from straw market which is directly across the street from police station. On a side note, there were no chairs where we walked to. Perhaps if we walked to the other side their might have been chairs.

It is a shame that people do not get out of the port area itself to experience the real island. Get a rental car and drive around the island at your leisure. Grand Bahama Island has many national parks, pristine beaches, and interesting wildlife. Our favorite was Lucayan National Park, we had the beach all to ourselves, and the underwater caves are interesting to see. Gold Rock Beach is spectacular.

http://www.grandbahamavacations.com/national-parks/

http://www.bahamas.com/vendor/gold-rock-beach

Carnival Liberty docked at an area that had many shops and cafes/bars. i.e. Senor Frog's which makes a delicious Rum Punch. Musical entertainment was available in a gazebo at that location. Lots of small food vendors, if one is interested in such. And, the citizens of Freeport with whom I met were welcoming and friendly! The one item that I wanted to purchase that is unique to the Bahamas was available in the Perfume Store there. (I thought I might have to go into the Mall to buy it.) Unless one wants a beach or other attractions, I was very pleased with the 2-3 hours I spent ashore at Freeport. (And, that was a surprise since my last visit.)

We went horseback riding with Pinetree Stables. Linda and Chris were great hosts. They gave us a great history lesson and we went through the Bahamian forests and the beach. It was definitely an awesome trip. I definitely recommend them if you can do it. It takes about 2 hours. They even took pictures and emailed them to us.

• 3 weeks later...
We went horseback riding with Pinetree Stables. Linda and Chris were great hosts. They gave us a great history lesson and we went through the Bahamian forests and the beach. It was definitely an awesome trip. I definitely recommend them if you can do it. It takes about 2 hours. They even took pictures and emailed them to us.

I am looking into doing this! Was this through the ship or did you contact them directly? If so, do they have a shuttle to the stables? Thanks for any information!