Advice for best time utilization at Talkeetna?

kkbrig

Most of the excursions for while we are staying at McKinley Princess Lodge seem to include an hour trip to Talkeetna and an hour trip back. Seems like a lot of extra traveling!! If you book one of these through Princess, can you not do the ride back and stay in Talkeetna to explore or to go on another excursion? Surely you don't have to go back to the lodge in between excursions?

And upon more diligently studying of the itineraries, it appears that some of the excursions do not involve the shuttle from the lodge to Talkeetna in both directions. So far, the ones that I've seen are the Wildnerness Trail ride, the Byers Lake Paddle or Nature Walk, and the Chulitna Float (shuttle on return only). Am I reading it right?

The river tours- Talkeetna Float, Chulitna River Rafting, Wilderness Jet Boat, Devil's Canyon Adventure,Three Rivers Tour- is there much difference between these? I realize the first two are rafts while the others are boats, they are on different rivers, and some are longer than others. But as for wildlife or scenic views, are they pretty similar or is there some better than others? I've tried reading through reviews and it seems like everyone describes them all the same, thus my assumption that they are similar.

Flights- Do you know who does the flight excursions for Princess? Talkeetna Air Taxi? K2? Another? Just wondering as I'm trying to read reviews on Tripadvisor.

Thanks!

We did the Chulitna River Rafting and enjoyed it. It was the perfect excursion for us to start out our cruise tour after the long flight from the east coast. We relaxed, floated down the river, and enjoyed the scenery. We stopped at one point, climbed out of the raft for pictures and cookies, saw moose tracks in the sand, and really pretty flowers. Back in town, we wandered Talkeetna on our own and ate at the Wildflower Cafe, which was very good. When we were ready we took the shuttle back to the McKinley Lodge. At the Lodge, we enjoyed the walking trails, and the food was good there as well.

You did really well to read all the reviews. I think you answered your own question about the difference between the tours being the river, the length of time, and style of boat or raft. To give you the answer you seem to be looking for, a comparison of all the options, a person would have had to have taken all the options. Doesn't seem likely. And even then they would not have happened at the same time or even within the same year. If you do find someone who can comment on every one of those options, well you now have a survey size of one. Do you trust that one person's experiences will be the same as yours will be? (Sorry, the scientist in me is coming out.) Wildlife viewings are going to vary from trip to trip. (We saw bald eagles, but nothing really exciting.) The scenery is awesome everywhere in Alaska.

Pick a trip and go have an awesome time.:)

Great! Thanks! Glad to know it's as I was interpreting and they are all pretty similar. I will just pick the one that seems to fit our time slot the best.

Any other tips about maximizing our time? Am I also right that we do not have to go back to the Lodge in between two excursions that are out of Talkeetna? Is there any problem with not being on the shuttle but joining the tour once they are in Talkeetna?

Thanks!

We did the Chulitna River Rafting and enjoyed it. It was the perfect excursion for us to start out our cruise tour after the long flight from the east coast. We relaxed, floated down the river, and enjoyed the scenery. We stopped at one point, climbed out of the raft for pictures and cookies, saw moose tracks in the sand, and really pretty flowers. Back in town, we wandered Talkeetna on our own and ate at the Wildflower Cafe, which was very good. When we were ready we took the shuttle back to the McKinley Lodge. At the Lodge, we enjoyed the walking trails, and the food was good there as well.

You did really well to read all the reviews. I think you answered your own question about the difference between the tours being the river, the length of time, and style of boat or raft. To give you the answer you seem to be looking for, a comparison of all the options, a person would have had to have taken all the options. Doesn't seem likely. And even then they would not have happened at the same time or even within the same year. If you do find someone who can comment on every one of those options, well you now have a survey size of one. Do you trust that one person's experiences will be the same as yours will be? (Sorry, the scientist in me is coming out.) Wildlife viewings are going to vary from trip to trip. (We saw bald eagles, but nothing really exciting.) The scenery is awesome everywhere in Alaska.

Pick a trip and go have an awesome time.:)

This is very helpful. I am wondering how to make the most of my time at the McKinley Princess Lodge/Talkeetna. Regarding your Chulitna River Raft - did you book it through the lodge or direct with a tour operator? Any more details would be helpful.

If one tour ends in Talkeetna and the next tour starts there, you do not have to return to the lodge. Likewise, you can go to Talkeetna earlier than your first tour and stay after the last tour. You will get the shuttle schedule when you check in, but it is pretty much every hour.

Take the plane ride that lands on a McKinley glacier that is one of the most incredible things I have done in my life. The town and most of Alaska is great for stouts to so drink some of them.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

K2 does have the cruise line contract but another may as well. There has been an acquisition with one vendor I have used as well. With McKinley flights- understand the differences and be sure to select the flight tour- YOU'RE most interested in. If a priority, then book this at your first opportunity. Princess runs shuttles to Talkeetna all day long- just verify tour meeting places. You don't go back and forth to the lodge between tours. Ideal, is timing your tours, for after arrival or before departure, if using the train. Best use of time. It is simple to book many tours independent if you wish to.