Specific Questions - Anchorage Transportation and Resurrection Bay on Departure Day

emory2001

Husband and I cruised Alaska for our honeymoon in 2000 and just booked again for next summer to take the kids. This trip will be different because we are going to spend some time in Anchorage and Seward first (southbound cruise).

We are planning to stay 2 days in Anchorage, then take the morning Alaska Railroad to Seward. Where should we rent a car from in Anchorage, and when should we return it, since the morning train is EARLY? Is it possible to rent from the airport and then drop the car off near the train station before the morning train? OR should we return the car the night before and taxi to the train station? Are taxis available that early?

In Seward we are going to do the Kenai Fjords Resurrection Bay tour. I have heard that since the Royal Caribbean cruise doesn't depart until 8:00 pm, some people do the 12:00 noon bay tour immediately before boarding ship. Has anyone done this? Were you rushed to get on board? How crowded is the boarding line at the port at that time? The bay tour should end at 4:30, and my understanding is we need to be on ship by 6:00 pm. What time is muster drill?

thanks

Husband and I cruised Alaska for our honeymoon in 2000 and just booked again for next summer to take the kids. This trip will be different because we are going to spend some time in Anchorage and Seward first (southbound cruise).

We are planning to stay 2 days in Anchorage, then take the morning Alaska Railroad to Seward. Where should we rent a car from in Anchorage, and when should we return it, since the morning train is EARLY? Is it possible to rent from the airport and then drop the car off near the train station before the morning train? OR should we return the car the night before and taxi to the train station? Are taxis available that early?

In Seward we are going to do the Kenai Fjords Resurrection Bay tour. I have heard that since the Royal Caribbean cruise doesn't depart until 8:00 pm, some people do the 12:00 noon bay tour immediately before boarding ship. Has anyone done this? Were you rushed to get on board? How crowded is the boarding line at the port at that time? The bay tour should end at 4:30, and my understanding is we need to be on ship by 6:00 pm. What time is muster drill?

thanks

Check out http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2376089 for pictures of Anchorage and the train to Seward. Good choice of going on the Kenai Fjords tour, we want to do that next time.

I can't respond to the RCL parts of your question. You might ask on the RCL board.

Some vendors charge if you rent at the airport and drop off downtown, some don't.

The downtown offices won't be open at 6am prior to the train ride, but they might have an after hours drop off slot for keys, if you're comfortable not signing off on the Condition Report. As a matter of fact I think the downtown offices close at 5 so you'll probably be using the after hours service, regardless.

As for the Kenai cruise, look at a longer trip than the Resurrection Bay cruise. I found it to be quite boring. Take one of the 5 or 6 hrs trips that go to a glacier. Getting out of the Bay also gives you the chance of seeing whales. plus sitting in front of a glacier while it creaks and cracks then finally calves is pretty spectacular.

If you take the train, your luggage will go directly to the ship, and the Kenai cruise dock is walkable to the ship in about 15 minutes. You'll have plenty of time to take a kenai cruise that ends at 5 or 6pm.

Edited by mapleleaves