Southampton hertz drop off

Which Hertz location is the closest and easiest to the cruise port? We are embarking at the Ocean Terminal. Which Hertz location: West Quay, Costco, or IKEA? Will taxis be readily available to take one to the port? The driver may be able to drop me off at the port with the luggage and then go and return the car taking a taxi back to the port. I have tried to figure this out but with no knowledge of where things are I am stumped. Thanks to all suggestions.

The Hertz location at West Quay Road is behind City Cruise Terminal and only a short taxi hop from Ocean cruise terminal. But despite its "West Quay Road" address, it's actually in a blind spur off West Quay Road, opposite IKEA.

Can't link googlemaps at the moment (I only have access only to my li'l old I-Pad at the moment) but zoom in on City cruise terminal and you' ll see Hertz named on that blind spur. It actually backs onto the terminal, but there,s a 12 ft fence between.

Simplest is to drop luggage (and passengers?) at Ocean terminal, confirm your route to the West QuY Road spur with someone at the port, return the car and take a taxi back to the terminal

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Thank you, John Bull. One slight problem--Oceania has changed our terminal to the Mayflower Terminal. I am guessing we would go in the opposite direction. I am assuming that getting a taxi would not be difficult?

You are always spot on with advice. Thank you so much for all the advice given over the years.

We are eagerly anticipating visiting your part of the world again.

Thank you, John Bull. One slight problem--Oceania has changed our terminal to the Mayflower Terminal. I am guessing we would go in the opposite direction. I am assuming that getting a taxi would not be difficult?

You are always spot on with advice. Thank you so much for all the advice given over the years.

We are eagerly anticipating visiting your part of the world again.

Same distance (1 to 1.5 mls ) but in the opposite direction.

No doubt Hertz will call a cab for you.

No worries.

JB :)

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Would anyone recommend renting a car one way as opposed to taking public transportation from London to Southampton?

No, and yes I've done it both ways.

Driving in London is stressful and not for the faint hearted, so you're probably looking at renting from either LHR or LGW. Which means you have to get there from Central London, and by the time you calculate the time and expense, you're better off just taking the train from Waterloo. Really, it's a pretty easy ride.

The only reason you might want to rent a car is to take in some sights along the way. You need to allow a basic 2½ hours plus time for any detours. A drive past Stonehenge would add 45 minutes to an hour.

It is not something I would want to take on.