VAT Refund at Southampton

tv24

I posted a similar thread on the Cunard board and received some information. I thought I would try here as well to see if I can find a solution.

I had to buy a new laptop computer while traveling in Malta. We are US citizens and still traveling in Europe and scheduled to depart on the Queen Mary 2 from Southampton on Dec. 15. I would like to try to get a refund of the VAT that I paid. I have my receipt, my forms and an envelope from the Maltese authorities, but I will need to get a customs stamp when I depart. Does anyone know if this is possible at Southampton? A couple of kind CC folks wrote that the customs desk at the Southampton terminal is not staffed; it merely has forms. Another provided a phone number for customs in Southampton. At this point I plan to use the phone number to find out where I can go for my customs stamp. Does anyone have more complete info based upon experience? Thanks in advance. Tom

Good point, and this may be an issue for me. I destroyed my other laptop, stupid me, and had to put the new one to use right away. So this may be a useless effort. Still I will phone the customs number that I have received to see what I can find out. Thanks.