Half day at Halong Bay??

ajaxup

We're on the Azamara Quest which stops at Halong Bay in November. We arrive at 1 PM and sail at 7 PM the next night. We have a full day junk tour the second (full) day. My question is what could we see or do the first day when we arrive early in the afternoon. Is there anything interesting near to where we will be docking?

Sorry, Keith, but I found Halong City very different. An incredibly grubby indoor market, a fish market, a neon-lit temple & that's about it in town. And that was on a private tour, so we didn't miss anything in town, a waste of an afternoon. Others have enjoyed a half-day tour in the surrounding countryside.

Your full day junk-cruise will more than make up for a disappointing town. :)

JB :)

JB no need to be sorry. :)

I am a big believer in pacing oneself and not trying to see everything and running around.

Halong Bay is a terrific site so that is one not to be missed.

ajaxup, are you on a private junk or doing it through the cruse ship? It is fascinating and if you can do it with a small group all the better.

But for the first day I would stay near the port. We went to an area about a twenty minute walk from the ship and enjoyed walking around. Was it earth shattering? No. But it was fine and we had been on other tours before and after this port that again I can't see running around each and every minute.

Anyway, like most things we all have different approaches and that is what makes the world go round. :)

Keith

We walked to the local market and I had fun bargaining with the local vendors. A number of the crew on the ship were buying North Face back packs (knock offs) and I asked them what I should pay, they all said no more than $20. I walked around and started at $10 and went to $15, but they would not accept the offer, so I went back to the first one and paid the $20.

The market is like many of the other markets in South East Asia, more like a swap meet. I agree with John that the market is not the best, but we enjoyed walking around.