Galveston Terminal #2 Opening 😀

ssb

By CHACOUR KOOP The Daily News | Posted 11 hours ago

The wait is over.

For the first time, passengers Sunday will board their ship through the $13.2 million expansion of Cruise Terminal No. 2, a facility built to accommodate the largest cruise ship to call at the Port of Galveston but marred by months of delays. Royal Caribbean Cruises’ Liberty of the Seas, a 1,111-foot-long ship with capacity for 4,200 people, will be the first vessel to welcome passengers through the two-story, 60,000-square-foot expansion.

While the project won’t be complete until late July, the port is using the new part of Terminal No. 2 so it can remodel the original part of the terminal, Port Director Michael Mierzwa said.

The expansion includes a check-in area, a large waiting room and a ramp for disembarking passengers, which will be more efficient than the previous exit route — an escalator prone to breaking down, officials said. The existing part of the cruise terminal will have a significantly expanded space for passengers to line up for screening and a separate baggage area for travelers to pick suitcases up after their trip.

The port is also rolling out valet service for the first time this weekend. Valet drivers will be available for passengers boarding at both cruise terminals on today and Sunday. In hopes of generating cash from 159 parking spaces at the Galveston Transit Terminal, the port entered a three-month trial period with Sovereign Services, a Houston parking company. Parking will cost $20 per day.

If the idea works, the port will put out a bid for valet parking services, Mierzwa said.

The cruise terminal expansion and other improvements, which total $16.3 million, has been delayed numerous times.

In January 2014, the port’s governing board approved a five-year agreement with Royal Caribbean Cruises that would generate a minimum of $1.86 million in annual operating revenue for the public docks. The deal was predicated on the port making improvements to Cruise Terminal No. 2. Royal Caribbean said the agreement would mean more island sailings and promised a larger vessel — Liberty of the Seas — to replace its Navigator of the Seas.

Construction of the expanded terminal was slowed because engineers found problems. Without a substantial upgrade to the supporting piles, soil conditions would have made the foundation in a section of the building subject to considerable settlement. The expansion was supposed to be completed by the first sailing of Liberty of the Seas in November. The cost increased to $13.2 million.

To satisfy the cruise line, the Wharves Board of Trustees, which governs the port, approved rental of a 10,000-square-foot tent to keep waiting passengers inside. The tent cost $75,000 a month for the first three months and $35,000 per month after that. The port also bought a $48,000 portable restroom and parked it adjacent to the tent.

Renting the tent, which will be taken down after the Fourth of July weekend, cost $434,100, Mierzwa said.

Constructing three additional mooring bollards and dockage to secure the Liberty of the Seas was hampered by a search expedition for a 19th century Texas Navy Ship. In September, work on the $2.9 million project was delayed until archaeologists determined the site had no signs of the warship Zavala.

In 1842, the Zavala was run aground in a mud flat to keep it from sinking and then allowed to deteriorate, according to historical reports. Because the site is of historical interest, the state required the port to secure an antiquities permit and allow archaeologists to conduct surveys.

Contact reporter Chacour Koop at 409-683-5241 or chacour.koop@galvnews.com.

No thank you on the 20 dollars a day for parking

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There are plenty of other convenient options other than valet service at terminals, even though it's includes covered parking in multi story parking garages, which is directly across the street from terminal. A few will pay for additional service.

I know that there there's other parking options, however if they see people are willing to pay more to park then they will also raise rates.

It's all about supply and demand. Time will tell! It's providing a service!

Hopefully cruisers want and like the service, and it's a successful venture for the port!

Why not try it on the positive side. :)

I get that it's all about supply and demand however I would prefer my 10 dollars a day rate.

Also my home port is Galveston and I drive their all the time. So it would cause me to pay double if they do increase the rates. Just like hotels do every weekend bc of the cruises.

I get that it's all about supply and demand however I would prefer my 10 dollars a day rate.

Also my home port is Galveston and I drive their all the time. So it would cause me to pay double if they do increase the rates. Just like hotels do every weekend bc of the cruises.

Choices are available to everyone and everywhere even at Airports , hotels, cruise terminals , country clubs , private parties, restaurants , event venues and private clubs. It's the free enterprise system.

If the service is successful great , if not ok too. Your choice to use or not is respected!

Edited by ssb

I also respect ur opinion, however working in business has taught me that if they do figure that they can charge more and people are willing to pay more. Then it is only a matter of time before the discounted parking also goes up. Keep in mind the discounted parking is only a savings of 10 to 20 dollars on a seven days cruise.

I also respect ur opinion, however working in business has taught me that if they do figure that they can charge more and people are willing to pay more. Then it is only a matter of time before the discounted parking also goes up. Keep in mind the discounted parking is only a savings of 10 to 20 dollars on a seven days cruise.

YES that is the real business world!

We are retired.

If this matter was a concern to us, we would not have cruised as much as we have! Traveling is expensive, and a choice, and a privilege, and I am grateful to have had the opportunity to cruise many many times! Everyone has travel budgets. You have yours and we have ours, we will spend it as we like! Hope to see you on board!

Enjoy your cruising also!

Edited by ssb

More RCCL cruises from Galveston

Royal Caribbean added some new Vision of the Seas sailings in 2017, from Galveston, Texas.

The new sailings are available for booking now, and include 4- and 5-night cruises to destinations in Mexico.

Sailing dates begin on November 6, 2017 and extend through the end of December.

Considering these articles why would u ever use valet service, could have posted more but choice not to:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/watch-valet-attendant-joyride-corvette/story?id=27643448

http://www.wftv.com/news/parking-lot-owner-caught-using-customers-car/287958457

Edited by tdaven1

More RCCL cruises from Galveston

Royal Caribbean added some new Vision of the Seas sailings in 2017, from Galveston, Texas.

The new sailings are available for booking now, and include 4- and 5-night cruises to destinations in Mexico.

Sailing dates begin on November 6, 2017 and extend through the end of December.

Yes thanks Ron , we will prob do Liberty Repo as we did

last one for Jersey to Galveston!

Hope you join us!

Edited by ssb

Considering these articles why would u ever use valet service, could have posted more but choice not to:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/watch-valet-attendant-joyride-corvette/story?id=27643448

http://www.wftv.com/news/parking-lot-owner-caught-using-customers-car/287958457

Have you ever used a valet service?

Yes I have bc at the time I didn't have a choice, was visiting New York City. However we waited 30 to 45 mins for our car and it wasn't at the end of the day when everyone gets off work.

Yes I have bc at the time I didn't have a choice, was visiting New York City. However we waited 30 to 45 mins for our car and it wasn't at the end of the day when everyone gets off work.

You don't have to justify to me why you won't valet!

These are all our personal choices.

I don't valet always , it's always circumstantial with common sense.

We don't use ship excursions, much rather be on our own!

Edited by ssb

Since the title of this message string was "Galveston Terminal #2 Opening" I had hoped there might actually be some useful information about the updated terminal and whether it has improved for the passengers. Guess not. :(