Tauk vs Uniworld European River Cruise

VAtravelers100

We are looking into river cruises for trip with grandparents and our 4 yr old. Considering Danube or maybe Rhine. Tauk and Uniworld both offer family-friendly cruises for both.

The Tauk ship has a pool, we would have the 4 yr old in our Category 7 cabin with us, and her price would be $500 off. The Uniworld ship doesn't accommodate 3 people in one cabin, so they would assign us two cabins and waive the single-fee for the second cabin and give a 50% discount for the child.

Does anyone have any experience researching or going on one of these itineraries with a young child? I would love to hear any insights as we think this through!!

Also, if you have thoughts about Danube vs. Rhine please share. My husband and I have been to the Danube locations already, but grandparents have not, and I think they will prefer that itinerary bc it's the famous cities. But, if anyone can think of what the positives of the Rhine itinerary might be (Amsterdam to Switzerland), please share. Grandparents aren't able to walk far comfortably in case that information is relevant when comparing the two itineraries (and won't be doing biking or similar active things); last year they did walking tours of Florence and Venice, but it was a bit of a stretch for comfort, so slow pace walking tours that don't cover large distances would be best.

Context... daughter has already been to Italy, Iceland, Hawaii, Mexico, Turks and Caicos, St. John, etc. and is a good traveler. Our past cruising experience has been Holland America to Baltics and Alaska.

Edited by VAtravelers100

I think a 4 yr. old would be bored on a European river cruise. There are no children's activities or clubs, and on my Uniworld cruise last year, there was no one under 35 yrs. of age. The itinerary is port intensive with tours geared to adults. On board ship activities are limited for everyone. Both Tauck and Uniworld are considered high end in the river cruising world.

Roz