Elevated toilet seat

olvrxyzh

Do you have a HC cabin? I had one on the Crown Princess and even I was told that the special needs department did not provide elevated seats the wall bars helped a lot.

I loved the shower bench.

6boysnana

have a wonderful cruise

Do you have a HC cabin? I had one on the Crown Princess and even I was told that the special needs department did not provide elevated seats the wall bars helped a lot.

I loved the shower bench.

6boysnana

have a wonderful cruise

Wonder if it varies from ship to ship (though would have thought it'd be a standard yes/no within a given cruise line), or even on who you speak to. I didn't think to request one for our last cruise as both my own at home and most accessible toilets round these parts are higher than standard - and struggled as a result - but booking on Dawn Princess early next year (non HC cabin) we were offered both elevated toilet seat and shower seat before I could get to asking.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite subject :D It's difficult for me to get up from the regular seat, and I ordered a high seat twice.

1) on HAL no problem, the removable seat was there, I could easily put it in and take it out (my husband complained it's not easy for him to aim)

2) on Princess there was no seat. I had an email from Special department printed out, the cabin steward reluctantly took it, he said, to show his supervisor, and in the evening came in with the seat that should be screwed in. He asked me to try, and if I approve, he'd call maintenance to install. Knowing my husband will hate it, I refused. Had to manage through the cruise.

My favorite subject :D It's difficult for me to get up from the regular seat, and I ordered a high seat twice.

1) on HAL no problem, the removable seat was there, I could easily put it in and take it out (my husband complained it's not easy for him to aim)

2) on Princess there was no seat. I had an email from Special department printed out, the cabin steward reluctantly took it, he said, to show his supervisor, and in the evening came in with the seat that should be screwed in. He asked me to try, and if I approve, he'd call maintenance to install. Knowing my husband will hate it, I refused. Had to manage through the cruise.

I cannot cruise without a high rise seat.No matter how many times I tell the TA nearly every cruise starts without one .In one case I was told i would have to wait till the first port (4 days).I told the cruise service person that I would have to get off the ship and a few minutes later they found one.

I like your screen name :)

My DW requires and elevated seat and I would have gotten off the ship too. But, in our case, it would have been to go to the car to retrieve the seat that travels with us. I realize this is a moot point if you fly. But any time we sailed with Royal Caribbean we have been able to get one on request, and fairly quickly too.

• 2 months later...

I have just returned from a cruise on Emerald Princess. I had an accessible room, but took my own toilet raiser with me. However I was unable to use it as it blocked the button to flush the loo. When I compared the height of the toilet to the height of my wheelchair I discovered there was only an inch or so difference, and I was able to manage fine-there were lots of handrails. I have no idea of the situation in regular rooms.

More irritating to me was the way the steward kept putting drinking glasses and the tv remote on high shelves where I couldn't get them!

I have just returned from a cruise on Emerald Princess. I had an accessible room, but took my own toilet raiser with me. However I was unable to use it as it blocked the button to flush the loo. When I compared the height of the toilet to the height of my wheelchair I discovered there was only an inch or so difference, and I was able to manage fine-there were lots of handrails. I have no idea of the situation in regular rooms.

More irritating to me was the way the steward kept putting drinking glasses and the tv remote on high shelves where I couldn't get them!

It would be nice if all cruise lines do what RCCL does. RCCL publishes the height of the toilets as well as grab bar position for each accessible cabin for a specific ship on it's website. Go to the deck plans for the ship. Directly to the right of where you click on the deck floors you'll see "VIEW ACCESSIBLE STATEROOMS" click on that. Here's an example for the Oasis of the Seas http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ports/accessibilityFeatures.do?pagename=accessible_staterooms_popup_OA

On embarkation day I speak to the cabin attendant and note all items that need to be placed or handled differently . Also bring post-its to leave notes if something needs to be addressed differently. Have found that the cabin attendants are very appreciative of this information. IMO the problem is that the training the attendants receive is very "boiler plate" and are trained to place items in a particular spot. Being that the needs and wants of everyone ,even abled-bodied, vary they just work from a standard unless advised otherwise.