Realistic time to catch a flight from Sydney to Melbourne

Currently debating adding a few days in Melbourne after my Dawn Princess Sydney New Zealand cruise

Obviously because I`m in the UK and not in Australia and having never sailed on Princess Cruises before.

What time will the ship dock in Sydney?

What time can I expect to disembark at?

Is it a good idea to get a Princess Cruises transfer from the ship to the airport?

How long is the journey (by coach) from White Bay Cruise Terminal to Sydney Airport Domestic terminal?

How soon before the flight (yet to be booked) would I need to be at the airport in Sydney? - Luckily according to the Qantas website there is A LOT of flights, often just 15 minutes apart.

Would you recommend from 12pm onwards?...

Depends where the ship is docking. Okay I see your docking at White Bay

If its docking at White Bay then your looking at either ship transfer or taxi.

I would recommend a flight from 12 pm onwards. I did a ship transfer. I think domestic flights you have to be checked in 1/2 hour prior. I always allow an hour just in case traffic or ship late docking.

If it was at the OPT I have gotten off the ship and on a 10.30 am flight no problem, but thats cause its easy catching the train to the airport.

There are lots of flights from Sydney on Qantas, Virgin, Tiger, Jetstar that go to Melbourne.

icat2000

Thank you for your speedy response - I was hoping someone from Australia would be able to help !!

I think I`ll book a ship transfer and book a 1pm flight just to be on the safe side, I have spent many many MANY HOURS hanging around airports waiting for flights so will just have to make sure my kindle is charged up first.

I cant wait for my Australia & New Zealand trip !!

Cruisefan2012

Currently debating adding a few days in Melbourne after my Dawn Princess Sydney New Zealand cruise

Obviously because I`m in the UK and not in Australia and having never sailed on Princess Cruises before.

What time will the ship dock in Sydney?

What time can I expect to disembark at?

Is it a good idea to get a Princess Cruises transfer from the ship to the airport?

How long is the journey (by coach) from White Bay Cruise Terminal to Sydney Airport Domestic terminal?

How soon before the flight (yet to be booked) would I need to be at the airport in Sydney? - Luckily according to the Qantas website there is A LOT of flights, often just 15 minutes apart.

Would you recommend from 12pm onwards?...

Docking usually around 6.00am with disembarkation usually commencing around 7.00am all being well.

Being at White Bay the only transport available is Princess transfer or cabs, my recommendation would be for a Princess transfer to the domestic terminal.

The journey would take about 30 - 40 mins depending on traffic and the day of the week.

I would not book a flight before 12.00noon just for my own piece of mind.

And I usually arrive minimum 1 hour before my flight.

Hope this info helps.

Because I tend on the side of caution I'd look at closer to 2:00 PM.

If you are running a bit late you may not disembark to 11:00 ish, allow an hour to get a taxi and get to airport, depending who you are flying with you will need to check in 30 mins to 1hr before flight time, so that's 1:00 I'd then factor an hour in for emergencies.

Ship transfers start about 7- 8am and on week days an early transfer can take 45 minutes to airport. Most transfers are done by 9.30 ish. Weekends only takes 30 minutes to airport but usually a long line up to get into the terminal.

I would allow no less than 1 hr for check in. You need to be at the gate 30 minutes prior leaving only 30 minutes to get through security and then get to the gate. Much too rushed for me, i prefer 90minutes. Plenty of lounge areas to sit and relax.

Check the various airline websites for deals and make sure your destination in Melbourne is Tullamarine Airport (not Avalon). You can get caught out on this one. Midday flights tend to be a little dearer than early or late flights.

When you arrive at Melbourne airport, there is a transfer bus just outside the baggage area that takes you to the main bus terminal at Southern Cross station in the city. Last time i used this the cost was about $18 and goes every 10 minutes.

No need for an expensive taxi ride.

When you arrive at Melbourne airport, there is a transfer bus just outside the baggage area that takes you to the main bus terminal at Southern Cross station in the city. Last time i used this the cost was about $18 and goes every 10 minutes.
Seconded. This is an excellent service.

No need for an expensive taxi ride.

Seconded. This is an excellent service.

Thirded [if that's a word] have used it a lot and Southern Cross is a fairly easy walk into the city.

A big thank you to everyone for their replies :)

I think on the back of all your replies I will book a 2pm flight to Melbourne Tullamarine and catch the SkyBus into the city

You might have some time to kill at the arport, but to me that's better than stressing over running late.

I hope you enjoy your stay/

Make sure you check your baggage allowance on your internal flight.

Especially if using a 3rd party booking agency:eek:

Booking direct with Qantas should give you included checkin bags but double check the booking anyway.

If you are very early, ask for a flight upgrade to an earlier flight at checkin. I do this all the time and often end up on an almost empty flight:D

• 2 weeks later...

Ladies and Gentlemen I have an announcement

After MUCH deliberation I`m going to Melbourne !!

I have booked a princess cruises transfer from the ship to the airport, followed by a Qantas flight at 2pm from Sydney to Melbourne Tullamarine and have booked a hotel in Melbourne for 5 nights

My little trip to Australia & New Zealand is coming together now and I couldnt be any happier !!

Thank you all for your help and advice :)